Author Topic: is all people here artists, where did all people go ?  (Read 1998 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: is all people here artists, where did all people go ?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
Are you serious that Vangelis is complete crap???

No...some of his stuff is okay...but IMO he IS totally over-rated and a bit self-important about his own musical impact. Just my two cents. I couldn't use the words "over-rated" to describe him because Steve Roach already took that title. ;) ::)

To be honest I have not gone through his entire discography but a lot of albums most was pure cheese and nothing like the blade runner.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
So you can be brilliant AND overrated?  If someone said I was overrated I would take it as a knock. 

About Vangelis:  I would recommend Soil Festivities and Opera Sauvage to those who think only Bladerunner is worthwhile.  The compilation Themes is also pretty comprehensive for his classic period.  Anything after The City is not recommended.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »
So you can be brilliant AND overrated?  If someone said I was overrated I would take it as a knock. 

About Vangelis:  I would recommend Soil Festivities and Opera Sauvage to those who think only Bladerunner is worthwhile.  The compilation Themes is also pretty comprehensive for his classic period.  Anything after The City is not recommended.

I will give it a chance...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
I like Vangelis's mostly-overlooked album The City. Also Beaubourg and Albedo 039.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
I second Opera Sauvage and I also recommend China and 1492: Conquest Of Paradise.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:49:51 PM by Castleview »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

The "show us your studio pics" that Jesse (Numina) started was one that I recall had some 53,000 views and maybe more by now....thats just staggering.  That many gearsultz?

Maybe that thread has so many hits because I posted a link to it over on the gearslutz website a few years ago? Their was a thread going on there about ambient musicians and their studios, so I just linked it. Lots of gearheads over there.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »
Don't pay too much attention to what I write. Everyone who knows me knows my opinions of who is great and who is over-rated are all out of whack with everyone else. For example, I think Jeff Pearce, as loved as he is here and among his fans, is actually UNDER-RATED. I think Jeff is a freakin' genius when you examine his entire body of work. Why he isn't every bit as revered as Roach and Rich (which is NOT a knock on Steve and Robert, both of whom are also brilliant) is a mystery to me. Just my two cents.

I think the HOS people would agree with you....he was right there on stage performing with both Roach & Rich at Ambicon.  Not at the same time of course though that would be special.

The "show us your studio pics" that Jesse (Numina) started was one that I recall had some 53,000 views and maybe more by now....thats just staggering.  That many gearsultz?

Maybe that thread has so many hits because I posted a link to it over on the gearslutz website a few years ago? Their was a thread going on there about ambient musicians and their studios, so I just linked it. Lots of gearheads over there.  ;D

I seem to remember seeing that Loren....makes sense.  Good way of bring visitors over. 

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »

Who did I state was brilliant and overrated?

RE: Vangelis...I find a lot of his music to be overblown, melodramatic, and pretentious. For example, Heaven and Hell. Admittedly, Blade Runner is good...albeit even some of that is a bit syrupy, IMO. I must admit I am puzzled by how many ambient fans like his music when, with only a few exceptions, he is much closer to classic new age than either ambient or EM (again, this is IMO). I recently played The City again and could only get through half the tracks without hitting the "skip" button. If you like a "big" dramatic sound like Vangelis, I think early Jon Jenkins (with Paul Lackey), e.g. Continuum, or Greg Klamt's Fulcrum, or JJ's later work with David Helpling are all better choices. Or you could go the oldie route and dig up some classic Richard Burmer, e.g. Bhakti Point.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
You said Steve roach was totally overrated, then you later said he was brilliant. 

I'm surprised on this Vangelis opinion because there are lots of EM biggies who list him as a major influence.  He had some amazing synth sounds and nobody could really replicate that.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
RE: Vangelis...I find a lot of his music to be overblown, melodramatic, and pretentious. For example, Heaven and Hell. Admittedly, Blade Runner is good...albeit even some of that is a bit syrupy, IMO. I must admit I am puzzled by how many ambient fans like his music when, with only a few exceptions, he is much closer to classic new age than either ambient or EM (again, this is IMO). I recently played The City again and could only get through half the tracks without hitting the "skip" button.

I like his early work, my favorite is Spiral, but Albedo 0.39, China, and Ignacio are all well worth listening too. I saw him in concert back in 1986, great show and totally solo except when he brought Jon Anderson up on stage to sing some of the stuff they did together. But I hear you on stuff like The City, or Direct, or El Greco, he moved away from what I like from him.

If you like a "big" dramatic sound like Vangelis, I think early Jon Jenkins (with Paul Lackey), e.g. Continuum, or Greg Klamt's Fulcrum, or JJ's later work with David Helpling are all better choices.

I don't really like big and bombastic, that's not what got me into Vangelis early on. To me he was kind of a cross over between progress rock and the berlin school stuff going on at the time.

Or you could go the oldie route and dig up some classic Richard Burmer, e.g. Bhakti Point.

I miss Richard, he was  a great guy.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
You said Steve roach was totally overrated, then you later said he was brilliant. 

I'm surprised on this Vangelis opinion because there are lots of EM biggies who list him as a major influence.  He had some amazing synth sounds and nobody could really replicate that.

No...the joke is that I used to say Steve was overrated all the time (long time forumites can back me up on that). I was using that as example of an outrageous statement I could make to provoke discussion. I haven't had that opinion of Roach in many years. I don't like him as much as a lot of people, but I no longer think he is overrated. He's just not always my cup of tea, but some of his recent stuff is great.

I only offered my real opinion of Vangelis because you or someone else asked if I was serious. I was only making a joke in response to the lack of discussion here. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But I still don't care much for Vangelis. And I am mystified that so many artists claim him as an inspiration and an influence. I just don't get it. So, sue me, I guess.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »
"You are entitled to my opinion." --Author unknown  ;D

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
 ;D ;D
"You are entitled to my opinion." --Author unknown  ;D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »
OK - I'm not a Vangelis keener - but this video of him playing his setup has some serious "wow" factor.
Wait a minute or two for him to finish his prep on whateverthehellthosemodulesare.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/12/04/vangelis-and-the-journey-to-ithaka-documentary-now-available/

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
OK - I'm not a Vangelis keener - but this video of him playing his setup has some serious "wow" factor.
Wait a minute or two for him to finish his prep on whateverthehellthosemodulesare.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/12/04/vangelis-and-the-journey-to-ithaka-documentary-now-available/

That's one bad-ass setup.  I remember the more prog side of Vangelis from the early to mid-70s (Earth, Heaven & Hell, Albedo 0.39, Spiral, La Fete Sauvage).  I was impressed with his ability not only to play multiple instruments but to write compositions without any standard notation.  Sure, he has a schmaltzy side, but I think his earlier efforts were more balanced and varied.  My favorites from that time were probably Heaven & Hell (especially the piece with piano and choir) and Albedo.  I lost track of him after his "Chariots of Fire" hit.  Interesting that he was one of the original choices for replacing Rick Wakeman at keyboards before they found Patrick Moraz.

Forrest
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:00:19 PM by ffcal »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
"Sure, he has a schmaltzy side"
I'll repeat that:
"Sure, he has a schmaltzy side"

"I lost track of him after his 'Chariots of Fire' hit."

My thoughts too.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
"I lost track of him after his 'Chariots of Fire' hit."

My thoughts too.

This sounds almost like a thread for bands that may have been cool for a while until they weren't.  A few from the prog era that would come to mind are Gentle Giant, Yes and even the venerable Soft Machine (their last, "Land of Cockayne," is pretty forgettable).

Forrest

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
Ah, Soft Machine  ... still a huge favourite of mine. They did go through numerous changes, so yep the albums were of various qualities. But Third and Fourth are surely beyond compare   8)

I saw Gentle Giant a couple or more times (back in England), but when I think of them I'm really only reminded of the single "Kites" by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound -- the guys who formed GG. What a brilliant song that was! Well, I can't forget it anyway. It's a personal thing.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
Ah, Soft Machine  ... still a huge favourite of mine. They did go through numerous changes, so yep the albums were of various qualities. But Third and Fourth are surely beyond compare   8)

Yep! Those are usually the ones I return to when I want some Soft Machine.  8)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.