Author Topic: Broken Harbour learns to use Logic 9  (Read 562 times)

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
Broken Harbour learns to use Logic 9
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
Hi All,

I was big into Sonar for many years, but I bought Logic 9 a few weeks back, and have just started to use it.  Since most of you here use a variant of Logic (I think) and since my used copy came with almost no documentation, I'm going to ask some dumb questions and hopefully get some easy answers.  I've tried some google searches but with something as complicated as Logic, it's often difficult to get a straight concise answer to a question like "how do I.....?"

Here goes...

Dumb Question #1:
How do I do envelopes?  Say I want to fade something in/out or play with panning?  I can't seem to find the "envelopes" button or command.

Dumb Question #2:
How do I get a multitrack soft synth to output multitrack?
This sounds silly right?  Well I'm using Omnisphere, and I split the keyboard down the middle to play 2 different sounds at the same time, and then I can route it's internal bus's to separate outputs internally on the instrument, so 'Sound 1' outputs to 'Out A', 'Sound 2' outputs to 'Out B', etc...  but it keeps just outputting to a single track in Logic.  Doing this was totally simple in Sonar 8, but in Logic 9... uh.... I can't figure it out.  I selected 'MultiTimbral Instrument' and it creates 8 stereo tracks for the 8 possible Outputs in Omnisphere, but they won't 'route' to the correct tracks.

Thanks for the help!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Broken Harbour learns to use Logic 9
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
have you tried youtube... ?
a lot of guides of the basics there.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:23:50 PM »
Go to the far right corner of the arrange window in logic 9 and you will see  a snap box, a drag box and then 2 smaller square box with icons....ususally defaults to arrows.  click on say the right box and the menu should open up..  look to the bottom of the menu for "Automation curve tool" this is the envelopes you speak of and will create fades between audio.  This does a good job of seamless merging.

In the left side of the arrange window highlight the audio track and by default you should see and elongated tab that says volume. click on it and it will open a menu which gives options one of which is pan that will behave similar to the volume automation. Clicking to the top of the audio GUI will pan left and clicking towards the bottom will pan right.  In the view tab be sure that track automation is activated.  Once you do it it is simple just a like squirrel like and hide at the beginning.....hope this helps

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
Thanks Julio, I finally figured out how to get multi-out on some soft synths which seemed a little overly complex but... now I know.

I have next week off of work, and I've booked a bunch of studio time, hopefully one of my 17 upcoming projects I committed to will get started...  ;D

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
hopefully one of my 17 upcoming projects I committed to will get started...
;)
Have fun, and best of luck!
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:41:38 AM »
Yes a block of studio time is exciting....enjoy!