MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

Most likely the best Compressor for Ambient music

(1/4) > >>

Immersion:
I know in the Ambient music...compressor is not exactly the most used tool...for many reasons..
mostly due it's artifacts..
This is a compressor for the people who do not like compressors due it is artifacts...
For me personally this will be an easy buy the exact type of compressor I am looking for..
very clean and transparent.  more like a "leveler" then a compressor.

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/products/compressor

Dangerous Music Compressor Overview with Fab DuPont - Sweetwater Sound

El culto:
Often you sound like a person advertising products  ;D Have you ever thought about going into this business?

A compressor is a tool to control/balance the volume and or peaks (then the compressor turns into a limiter)….nothing more about it (even you can use it in some extreme FX ways)….and the reason for many people not using it in ambient music is not due artifacts but of the idea to have the dynamic of the music as much natural as possible.

And in 2013 i don´t know any available compressor (software and hardware) with "artifacts" when used in the right way.

Once more, you are talking about esoteric improvements you believe into….thats fine - but "very clean and transparent" needs a prove first and not just a repeating of phrases from the advertising video!

Castleview:
I bet that compressor costs an arm and a leg.

Immersion:

--- Quote from: Castleview on November 26, 2013, 06:37:35 PM ---I bet that compressor costs an arm and a leg.

--- End quote ---

only two testicles

Immersion:

--- Quote from: El culto on November 26, 2013, 06:28:21 PM ---Often you sound like a person advertising products  ;D Have you ever thought about going into this business?

A compressor is a tool to control/balance the volume and or peaks (then the compressor turns into a limiter)….nothing more about it (even you can use it in some extreme FX ways)….and the reason for many people not using it in ambient music is not due artifacts but of the idea to have the dynamic of the music as much natural as possible.

And in 2013 i don´t know any available compressor (software and hardware) with "artifacts" when used in the right way.

Once more, you are talking about esoteric improvements you believe into….thats fine - but "very clean and transparent" needs a prove first and not just a repeating of phrases from the advertising video!

--- End quote ---

I only promote products I am self considering to buy, If you know Dangerous philosophy and legacy I think you will know better what the product have to offer.

The only compressor I have found accetable in ambient music is SSL X-comp, it does not destroy the mix even with the small details (for me in ambient it is all about the details).

You are saying not many people are using it in ambient, I think what you mean is not many are using it on the masterbus on the full mix.  On individual instruments or tracks I see nothing wrong with compression.
However this compressor might be something I dare to put on the masterpus aswell..just because how clean and transpertent and distort free it seem to be. 

I find it very interesting how you can claim that any software or hardware compressor have no artifacts if used in the right way, and with that I assume you mean extremely mild compression ?  I have tried a lot compressor.
I think especially on the mix it fucks up the sound,  x-comp is really the only exception so far...

Now I might come across like a total compressor guy but the fact is I am kind of an anti-compressor person..
I do not use it more then I have two, I prefer to increase the sound volume and energy in other ways, such as transient designers to get more transients in the mix  also I prefer in the box use different tube plugins such as tube amp and processor. 

Some analgue gear such as Burl Mix Bus, which is a summirizing mixer can add some kind of "compression" but without really adding a compression when you increase the drive in the transformers.

I prefer to add volume that way then using compression the analogue way.. At least on a full mix in ambient music.

However I am only saying that the Dangerous audio Compressor might change that...it might actaully be something one even can but on the masterbus.. if it is as transparent and clean as I think it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version