OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Computers, Internet and Technology

R.I.P. XP

<< < (3/3)

chris23:

--- Quote from: zzzone.net on December 01, 2013, 10:37:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: chris23 on December 01, 2013, 10:01:03 AM ---You've inspired me to do the overnight backup this evening.

--- End quote ---

If I inspired just ONE backup, the effort to write the message was worth it.  L :) L

--- End quote ---

And thank goodness, too. I had to restore from this backup this morning! Long live tech advice from the Hypnos Forums!

zzzone.net:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 03, 2013, 07:21:07 AM ---I think you might have read something about the limit to the number of multitasking Metro (full-screen touch-interface) apps, not Windows programs. MS would be insane to limit the number of Windows programs you can run at once.

In fact, the number of Metro apps you can run at once increased with Win 8.1 from Win 8.0.

--- End quote ---

God.  Win 8 is awful and so unintuitive.  I installed a Start button replacement to free myself from the "Metro" apps at boot.

And although you can run as many non-Metro apps as you want, the task switching is different.  Also the number or format in which you can display multiple running apps side-by-side is different; once again, so unintuitive that I cannot remember the details right now.

It's a mess.  I've been with Windows since 3.1 and this breaks all the traditions.

I can see where the Metro apps might be nice with a tablet but even with a touchscreen laptop like the one I have, it's buggy and not as functional as regular Windows applications.

This may be the first bit in my conversion to the Mac.

Jim

zzzone.net:
Thanks to everyone for their patience in helping me with Windows 8.

I now understand that Windows 8 is a moderately improved version of Windows 7 with the tablet-friendly tile interface laid on top.

It's quite easy to get rid of the "modern" tablet interface and boot directly to the desktop with Classic Shell, the app, as was suggested above.  I now do that with all my Windows 8 computers.

Even the Windows 8.1 update will natively allow that: Microsoft has actually listened to someone.

Thanks again.

Jim

mgriffin:
I discovered this week here at work that we still had one PC running Windows XP. I thought we had already upgraded everybody, but somehow I had missed this out-of-the-way desk when I upgraded everybody before.

That user now has a nice new Windows 8 Pro 64 machine, and there is no more trace of Windows XP here. All gone!

petekelly:
Presumably MS stopping security support will have significant future issues for the world that is still using XP (as opposed to the W2K scaremongering) ? I upgraded my internet computer for this reason. Don't think I can go into the heady realms of Win8 yet though, just getting my head around Win7 at present !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version