OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Computers, Internet and Technology

R.I.P. XP

<< < (2/4) > >>

zzzone.net:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 01, 2013, 10:38:05 AM ---Everyone must do backups!

Also I should explain my above comment about Win7 being slower than XP. That's not a criticism of the OS - I actually think Win7 is a much better, more stable and modern operating system than XP. It's just that newer operating systems are inevitably larger and more complex. Installing your OS on an SSD drive probably makes the biggest difference of all, though your machine is faster in several respects (processor, RAM, video card) than anything that was available in 2008.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I agree with all of your assessments on Win 7 and the new 'puter.

For the first time since I started personal computing in 1992, I can now buy and use as much RAM as I need due to the 64-bit OS.  I think that this helps with the multitasking improvement that I mentioned also.

As far as speeding things up the most, the SSD is likely the culprit, particularly with WinRAR. 

I didn't expect to use or appreciate USB 3.0 as I have.  It seems quite fast with transfers at 80-100 Mbps.

If you haven't upgraded in a few years, now is the time.  Get a low end i7 proc, plenty of RAM, a SSD, USB 3.0 and you're in for a treat.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 01, 2013, 09:27:35 AM ---Win7 is actually a slightly slower operating system than XP. The big increase in speed you're seeing is because of the hot rod hardware you're using now. XP machines might start to have more and more problems as Microsoft stops updating them with security patches, and newer software insists on a more recent OS in order to install.

Enjoy your new machine. Like you, I'm just in the process of getting ready to switch my primary computer from an old, reliable machine to an entirely new one.

--- End quote ---

Windows 7 have superior memory management.  This reason alone is worth upgrading.

It is true the file copy is slow on windows 7 but there is programs like extremecopy etc...that will  make file coppying fullspeed.

7zip is faster then winrar..

Windows 8 is faster on very old machines (and new) compared to windows xp.
So there is now absolutely no reason be stuck with XP anymore.

Windows 8 work better for DAW computers...Lower DPC latency etc

XP will soon stop offering free security updates... they will only be available for people who pay for 1 year subscription...

zzzone.net:

--- Quote from: Immersion on December 01, 2013, 02:26:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 01, 2013, 09:27:35 AM ---Win7 is actually a slightly slower operating system than XP. The big increase in speed you're seeing is because of the hot rod hardware you're using now. XP machines might start to have more and more problems as Microsoft stops updating them with security patches, and newer software insists on a more recent OS in order to install.

Enjoy your new machine. Like you, I'm just in the process of getting ready to switch my primary computer from an old, reliable machine to an entirely new one.

--- End quote ---

Windows 7 have superior memory management.  This reason alone is worth upgrading.

It is true the file copy is slow on windows 7 but there is programs like extremecopy etc...that will  make file coppying fullspeed.

XP will soon stop offering free security updates... they will only be available for people who pay for 1 year subscription...

--- End quote ---

I have Windows 8 on a notebook and I find it unintuitive and confusing after having used every other version of Windows including 3.1.  Also the touch interface is NOT needed on a desktop computer and there should be a way to dispense with it; I believe there is in 8.1.

It is very quick to boot though.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: zzzone.net on December 01, 2013, 05:02:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: Immersion on December 01, 2013, 02:26:12 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I have Windows 8 on a notebook and I find it unintuitive and confusing after having used every other version of Windows including 3.1.  Also the touch interface is NOT needed on a desktop computer and there should be a way to dispense with it; I believe there is in 8.1.

--- End quote ---

Well I suggest you find ways to navigate away from the metro, I only use it to open programs and search... it is rarely I have it open more then 5 seconds...
I can understand people feel confused though..

mgriffin:

--- Quote from: zzzone.net on December 01, 2013, 05:02:11 PM ---I have Windows 8 on a notebook and I find it unintuitive and confusing after having used every other version of Windows including 3.1.  Also the touch interface is NOT needed on a desktop computer and there should be a way to dispense with it; I believe there is in 8.1.

--- End quote ---

Zzzone.net -- you should install Classic Shell. It helps you avoid most of the unpleasant aspects of Win 8 and makes it function more like Win 7 as far as user interface. I install this on all the new Windows 8 machines at work, and everyone who users it asks me to help them set up the same thing if they get a Win 8 machine at home.

It's free, and I endorse it. Just stay away from the Start screen and the Metro apps completely, if you don't like them.

http://www.classicshell.net

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version