Author Topic: Show us your Smartphone/Cell Phone  (Read 626 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Show us your Smartphone/Cell Phone
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
The smartphones has since some years now become and increasingly more important part of our daily lives, some people might even call it the third part of our brain...

So what smartphone do you have right now ?
Which phone would you buy today if you could ?

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Show us your Smartphone/Cell Phone
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
I have a Samsung Glaxy Note, I bought it in december 2011, if I have to say it myself I think the timing was perfect to buy the phone.  It has aged well..and not since I have bought it there have been much on the market that impress me enough to make me want to upgrade...

This is my phone with brown letter flip cover.
I haven ever used the silly Pen features, in fact
I do not even have the pen in the phone to save some grams
in weight..

Right now I feel there is no phone I want.
QUAD HD display will be entering the market in 2014, I will only buy a QUAD HD display, and the one I want is from LG, they have presented the screen this summer rumours says it is that screen that is used in the Xplay 3s phone.

This is the screen I am talking about, I will not be stupid to buy a 1080p phone when I know QUAD hd is around the corner... this particular screen also offer superior brightness wish makes it very useful for outdoor use...which is good especailly in the summer.

If I was absolutely forced to buy a phone today it would probably be the LG G2 phone. It has the best screen on the market right now, (the is available to buy), and also a really good camera.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Is that a photo of you? If so, please post the phone number for your Samsung Galaxy Note.  ;)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
I had managed to say "cell phone free" until this time last year. Now, I have an iPhone5, and I have no idea how I managed to exist without one.

I mostly use it to keep in touch with my wife, surf the web while in line at stores, take spontaneous photos of the kids, carry new music to the office, and for audio books (I do a lot of walking and Audible is how I get most of my leisure "reading" done these days).

One of my friends has a Samsung Galaxy and, frankly, I find it to be a potentially more attractive option than the iPhone. But, truth be told, I have no complaints. It is so crazy easy to sync everything with the iOS system.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
I had managed to say "cell phone free" until this time last year. Now, I have an iPhone5, and I have no idea how I managed to exist without one.

I mostly use it to keep in touch with my wife, surf the web while in line at stores, take spontaneous photos of the kids, carry new music to the office, and for audio books (I do a lot of walking and Audible is how I get most of my leisure "reading" done these days).

One of my friends has a Samsung Galaxy and, frankly, I find it to be a potentially more attractive option than the iPhone. But, truth be told, I have no complaints. It is so crazy easy to sync everything with the iOS system.

I was also very late to jump on the smartphone train...
But it was cause I found them to be very expensive at the same time I still did only consider them as "toys"
but it was not until 2011 I Found them to be powerful enough I wanted one.. I have used to so much very good for watching movies at work for instance I can even with an hdmi connector connect to a full size tv.

But there is good and bad things about smartphones..
I find it nice to some times not check the phone all the time just let it lay on the desk even if I get messages... I just want ot feel alone some time too..with my own thoughts etc...

Well honestly I would feel very handicapped without it now...But it has without doubt change the society in both good and bad ways it have made people less social I think in t he real world people prefer to text each other now if you walk around in the town all you see is people staring at their screens.

I think one should try to find the right balance... but as it is now the smartphone has become more like a drug for people including myself but I try to control it...
If people are without their smartphones just for 1 hour they feel not good..they get abstinence... if they receive a message they must check the phone immediately otherwise they  can't think straight, all these symptoms can be seen in the brain scanner... it is an addiction similar to a lot of other addictions.  It has changed us.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
Is that a photo of you? If so, please post the phone number for your Samsung Galaxy Note.  ;)

It is not my pic unfortunately my screen have cracked glass unfortunately.
I should buy a new one...so I really hope these Quad HD screens are coming in the Q1 of 2014...

I want atleast Snapdragon 805, since it will support the new H.265 video format...which will probably take over very soon because of superior video quality/size ratio.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
Yeah, the technology behind H.265 is absolutely amazing. That it only requires half the bitrate when compared to H.264 (visually speaking) is a huge leap.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Yeah, the technology behind H.265 is absolutely amazing. That it only requires half the bitrate when compared to H.264 (visually speaking) is a huge leap.

Yes... I wonder what the trend will be smaller file size..or just better quality..I know
which path the streaming services will choose...will save them a lot of money for sure.

Netflix already do false marketing when saying it is full HD etc,  Full HD with a very poor bitrate yes...  There should be some kind of value that combine both the resolution and birate to give a sense of the quality... right it is now it fools a lot of people... Even their ultra hd videos does not say much when the bitrate is poor.

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:01:18 AM »
Yes... I wonder what the trend will be smaller file size..or just better quality..I know
which path the streaming services will choose...will save them a lot of money for sure.
The main reason this format was created was to support 4k resolution broadcasts. In terms of other usages, yes, most will opt for "similar" quality to take advantage of lower bitrates. That's not necessarily a bad thing to save on bandwidth costs for the customer.

Regarding Netflix, I'm impressed what they can accomplish within the bandwidth limitations of streaming media. Yes, some artifacts appear in scenes with flat colour or busy shots of water, trees, etc, but those are hard to compress properly in the best situations. You are aware you need to manually set the bitrate settings within your profile, correct? It defaults to medium.

Since this thread has gone off-topic, I'll go back and mention that my phone is the Samsung Nexus S (aka the google phone). I've had it for two years and done well by it. When it dies, I'll likely get the Nexus 5.
www.altusmusic.ca

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
I just bought a new case for my aging iphone 4.  :-)   Might upgrade next year - we'll see.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
The main reason this format was created was to support 4k resolution broadcasts. In terms of other usages, yes, most will opt for "similar" quality to take advantage of lower bitrates. That's not necessarily a bad thing to save on bandwidth costs for the customer.

Regarding Netflix, I'm impressed what they can accomplish within the bandwidth limitations of streaming media. Yes, some artifacts appear in scenes with flat colour or busy shots of water, trees, etc, but those are hard to compress properly in the best situations. You are aware you need to manually set the bitrate settings within your profile, correct? It defaults to medium.

Since this thread has gone off-topic, I'll go back and mention that my phone is the Samsung Nexus S (aka the google phone). I've had it for two years and done well by it. When it dies, I'll likely get the Nexus 5.

Yes 4K is taking over. The 4k agenda was the weopon to destroy the competion from plasma and OLED but espceially OLED, this why a certain cartel I do not remember what exact companies but I think sony was one of them most big companies that did not do OLED TVs, their agenda was to compete with 4K resolution against 1080p  OLED... this is why we see this 4K hype right now..

Netflix I think have it already, but as I said before resolution is no good if the bitrate is not good... One bad thing about  h.265 you nee about 4 times the amount of processing power. so GPU accerlation is as most especially with 4K which most computers can't handle to today (while some smartphones can)

Netflix does not cost much money luckily per month..so I guess one should not complain too much..but for me personally I can't stand the quality.  It is ok for some low budget tv series etc...

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:14 AM »
They can try to sell me 4k all they want, but I'm not biting. All I'm interested in is 1080p OLED.  ;D
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
They can try to sell me 4k all they want, but I'm not biting. All I'm interested in is 1080p OLED.  ;D

Well I am glad there is some one with the brains...unfortunately the bigger part are brainless consumers when it comes to TV...

When they stand in the store, they will most likely watch from a very short distance when they compare, they will see the difference is huge..and that the picture is more clear on the 4K.  Just as with megapixles people are getting fooled with the resolution. Without thinking about that it doesn ote even exist 4k sources yet and that a big part of the picture is made out of upscaling processors.

Well I would also choose a LG OLED tv any day of the week...

It is tragic that there is so much hype with 4K tv, but in the computer monitor market where it would REALLY make
a difference since you watch from a short distance it is not much progression at all..

Besides the new Dell 24 inch Dell monitor which had quite agressive pricing.