OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Everything and Nothing

What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?

(1/5) > >>

Ekstasis:
Show us your television, are you happy with it, which tv do you want to buy... ?

I got the second last Plasma generation ever (panasonic did stop making plasma 2013)
  The ST50, I got the 55 inch model.
ST50 was rated as the best TV in 2012 by Cnet, after extensive research I did buy it.
It did not look mindblowing in the store, but in a dark room the screen did really come to life.
Very deep blacks and great contrast and colors. I am 100% happy with the buy. I had a sony triniton tv 32 inch before that..
I hold patiently myself of buying a new tv for many years, I did not like LCD,  and I know OLED was around the corner reading about different breakthroughs some years before 2012,  I was ready to sacrifice about 5300 dollars for a OLED tv because I have waited so long and I had stood out with this crap tv for about 10 years and not jumping on the flat tv train until 2012.. in lat 2011, LG did leak the pricing of their upcoming OLED to be released in Q1 of 2013, the price did turn out to be about twice as expensive as I had planned to sacrifice,  I did quickly realize I will have to wait atleast 4-5 years until they reach humane levels so I quckily decide I have to buy something that is available on the market... I new Plasma did share many of the qualities of OLED technology. So I bought one, LCD was never really a choice..

My old TV was a crt,  triniton, it had amazing contrast and blacklevel, but the only thing that was missing was really the HD resolution.  so when I got my Panasonic it took some time to get used to the HD resolution, it was totally mindblowing, and the first weeks I consider one of the best in my life...

In a few years I hope OLED technology will be more common and also more affordalble, I am very sure I will get the same feeling I got with my plasma when I get an OLED TV..it is a totally new level...

My dream tv... The 55 inch LG. But honestly, I will keep my plasma for at least 4 more years most likely..

mgriffin:
This is our primary TV:

It's a Panasonic PT AE1000U projector. It's getting a bit old, but it was considered quite high-end when I bought it in 2007. Back then, 1080P projectors were brand new.

A front projector setup only works in a room where ambient light is controlled. Sunlight leaking around curtains really ruins it.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 05, 2013, 01:49:08 PM ---This is our primary TV:

It's a Panasonic PT AE1000U projector. It's getting a bit old, but it was considered quite high-end when I bought it in 2007. Back then, 1080P projectors were brand new.

A front projector setup only works in a room where ambient light is controlled. Sunlight leaking around curtains really ruins it.

--- End quote ---

Cool I thought no one used those projectors anymore :)

But it must be nice to get a really big screen how big scree you have ?

I guess it is ok in a dark room atleast.
But I would not trust it when it comes to color reproduction etc

mgriffin:
Front projection is definitely the highest quality picture in most respects. It's definitely not an obsolete technology (though admittedly our projector is an older model). Most of the serious home theater enthusiasts I know use front projectors, though many of them probably also have a more ordinary TV in their living room for comfortably watching football games or whatever. That's the one and only drawback to this -- it doesn't tolerate ambient room light. But if you have a room prepared for this (blackout curtains and so on), there is no better home theater experience.

Actually, I forgot a 2nd drawback - the lamps don't last forever, so every few years, you need to replace the lamp.

You can now get a good quality 1080p projector for under $2000. Right before I bought this, the suggested retail price was something crazy like $7,995, though I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Everyone who sees a movie in our home theater is blown away by how good it looks, and how immersive the viewing experience is with such a big picture, even people with large and expensive 1080p panels at home.

If you project this on the wall (which is what I do) you can make the "screen" as large as you want, though it will be slightly less bright at larger sizes as the lamp's light is dispersed across a broader area. I had planned to purchase a projector screen for this, but was very pleasantly surprised at the great quality of the picture projected on an ordinary wall. Our screen area is something like 140" diagonally, maybe a little more.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 06, 2013, 09:24:18 AM ---Front projection is definitely the highest quality picture in most respects. It's definitely not an obsolete technology (though admittedly our projector is an older model). Most of the serious home theater enthusiasts I know use front projectors, though many of them probably also have a more ordinary TV in their living room for comfortably watching football games or whatever. That's the one and only drawback to this -- it doesn't tolerate ambient room light. But if you have a room prepared for this (blackout curtains and so on), there is no better home theater experience.

Actually, I forgot a 2nd drawback - the lamps don't last forever, so every few years, you need to replace the lamp.

You can now get a good quality 1080p projector for under $2000. Right before I bought this, the suggested retail price was something crazy like $7,995, though I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Everyone who sees a movie in our home theater is blown away by how good it looks, and how immersive the viewing experience is with such a big picture, even people with large and expensive 1080p panels at home.

If you project this on the wall (which is what I do) you can make the "screen" as large as you want, though it will be slightly less bright at larger sizes as the lamp's light is dispersed across a broader area. I had planned to purchase a projector screen for this, but was very pleasantly surprised at the great quality of the picture projected on an ordinary wall. Our screen area is something like 140" diagonally, maybe a little more.

--- End quote ---

I was not aware..

THat is the advantages and drawbacks compared to the best tvs ?

How is the black levels and contrast ? on projectors ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version