Author Topic: What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?  (Read 1332 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
by the way, the latest trend this year is curved televisions, samsung will release plenty of models with curved displays..I guess it will become the new standard as it looks with curved displays..

I would really like one...  But..I think to get a positive effect you must sit in the right position..but I can imagine if you sit right in front of the tv it will give additional depth...

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
4+ yr old LG 47" LCD non-smart. What's the easiest way to make it smart so i can troll the net for tv stations and all to view stuff? I know most of the boxes come with crap like netflix/amazon/hulu+ (hey, if I'm paying I do NOT want ANY damn advertisements, even if it's 60 secs once or so during show). I have a PS3 and Amazon Prime, don't see a need for NetFlix as can't afford to add more the enough bills and being out of work still. Looking for cheap alternative should I decide to cut the chord. I am not sure how much SyFy provides full eps online or other stuff. I'd miss American Horror Story/Grimm/Almost Human/Dr. Who/etc....if I did dump cable (for a time if needed till work comes). Anyways, I like the tv, has 4 HDMI imputs which I am using 2 atm and other connections for my Wii.

Mike

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
Ancient Sony thing, two foot wide and two foot deep, weighs two tons and uses 2KW of power (I'm exaggerating now). As you may guess, TV is not a high priority at Flame Acres :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:05:10 PM by petekelly »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
4+ yr old LG 47" LCD non-smart. What's the easiest way to make it smart so i can troll the net for tv stations and all to view stuff? I know most of the boxes come with crap like netflix/amazon/hulu+ (hey, if I'm paying I do NOT want ANY damn advertisements, even if it's 60 secs once or so during show). I have a PS3 and Amazon Prime, don't see a need for NetFlix as can't afford to add more the enough bills and being out of work still. Looking for cheap alternative should I decide to cut the chord.

I have a Roku 3 on both our upstairs and downstairs TVs. It's such a convenient interface for things like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and XBMC streaming, that we use all these things much more than we did before.

I believe Roku makes a cheaper dongle-type device that you can plug directly into your TV (not sure whether it's a USB or HDMI plug-in) that gives you all the same functionality as the external Roku 3 box.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Cosmic Fabric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
I don't use a TV from 5 or 6 years now. I feel much happier without one. I don't watch or care about the news :)