OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Everything and Nothing

What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?

<< < (2/5) > >>

mgriffin:
The place where I bought my projector has a "why buy a projector?" page that covers most of this.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projectors-vs-TVs.asp

Of course, this place is trying to sell projectors, but I don't believe anything they say is unreasonable. They're hyping 3D, and I think 3D is mostly a gimmick, but they don't say anything dishonest about it.

The simple answer about the difference is that the technology in a projector is the same as with a panel TV -- it's just projected bigger, so you're looking at the same quality but larger. The human eye can't discern individual pixels in a 50" 1080p screen from across the room, so you can blow up the 1080p image much larger than that and actually gain discernible detail.

It's not "magic" of course -- black levels are harmed by ambient room light. Of course panel TVs have problems with reflections on the screen, though panel TVs have less of a problem with this kind of thing than projectors.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 06, 2013, 09:50:06 AM ---The place where I bought my projector has a "why buy a projector?" page that covers most of this.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projectors-vs-TVs.asp

Of course, this place is trying to sell projectors, but I don't believe anything they say is unreasonable. They're hyping 3D, and I think 3D is mostly a gimmick, but they don't say anything dishonest about it.

The simple answer about the difference is that the technology in a projector is the same as with a panel TV -- it's just projected bigger, so you're looking at the same quality but larger. The human eye can't discern individual pixels in a 50" 1080p screen from across the room, so you can blow up the 1080p image much larger than that and actually gain discernible detail.

It's not "magic" of course -- black levels are harmed by ambient room light. Of course panel TVs have problems with reflections on the screen, though panel TVs have less of a problem with this kind of thing than projectors.

--- End quote ---

Well interesting, I thought projects had not chance against the latest tvs.
I usually have very little amount of lights in my apartment, often no lights in the night only computer, I also live on the first floor
so for that reason I always have my blind down...

How much do you need to spend to a good projector which would compete with the best tvs today ?

Ekstasis:
as my friend told me, projector people is maybe not the most objective site :)

mgriffin:
I don't dispute that a web site selling projectors is less objective about the benefits of projectors, but as I said, everything in their "Why projectors?" article seems correct in my experience, comparing the projector picture to other LED and Plasma TVs that I have owned and seen elsewhere.

Honestly I haven't shopped or compared models carefully in a while, because the projector we have is still very good despite its age. The model I purchased has been updated many times, and this is the newest:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

It is around $2,000 with a rebate, so not very expensive compared to a larger TV.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 06, 2013, 10:28:28 AM ---I don't dispute that a web site selling projectors is less objective about the benefits of projectors, but as I said, everything in their "Why projectors?" article seems correct in my experience, comparing the projector picture to other LED and Plasma TVs that I have owned and seen elsewhere.

Honestly I haven't shopped or compared models carefully in a while, because the projector we have is still very good despite its age. The model I purchased has been updated many times, and this is the newest:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

It is around $2,000 with a rebate, so not very expensive compared to a larger TV.

--- End quote ---

yeah so you only save money if you have bigger picture..but I guess most people go for atleast 100 inch.

what about burn time ????
I have heard projectors have a certain burn time...
how much does it cost to change the...lamp ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version