Author Topic: What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?  (Read 1329 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »
Show us your television, are you happy with it, which tv do you want to buy... ?

I got the second last Plasma generation ever (panasonic did stop making plasma 2013)
  The ST50, I got the 55 inch model.
ST50 was rated as the best TV in 2012 by Cnet, after extensive research I did buy it.
It did not look mindblowing in the store, but in a dark room the screen did really come to life.
Very deep blacks and great contrast and colors. I am 100% happy with the buy. I had a sony triniton tv 32 inch before that..
I hold patiently myself of buying a new tv for many years, I did not like LCD,  and I know OLED was around the corner reading about different breakthroughs some years before 2012,  I was ready to sacrifice about 5300 dollars for a OLED tv because I have waited so long and I had stood out with this crap tv for about 10 years and not jumping on the flat tv train until 2012.. in lat 2011, LG did leak the pricing of their upcoming OLED to be released in Q1 of 2013, the price did turn out to be about twice as expensive as I had planned to sacrifice,  I did quickly realize I will have to wait atleast 4-5 years until they reach humane levels so I quckily decide I have to buy something that is available on the market... I new Plasma did share many of the qualities of OLED technology. So I bought one, LCD was never really a choice..

My old TV was a crt,  triniton, it had amazing contrast and blacklevel, but the only thing that was missing was really the HD resolution.  so when I got my Panasonic it took some time to get used to the HD resolution, it was totally mindblowing, and the first weeks I consider one of the best in my life...

In a few years I hope OLED technology will be more common and also more affordalble, I am very sure I will get the same feeling I got with my plasma when I get an OLED TV..it is a totally new level...

My dream tv... The 55 inch LG. But honestly, I will keep my plasma for at least 4 more years most likely..

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:42:12 PM by Immersion »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: What TV do you have ? Plasma/LCD/OLED other ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »
This is our primary TV:

It's a Panasonic PT AE1000U projector. It's getting a bit old, but it was considered quite high-end when I bought it in 2007. Back then, 1080P projectors were brand new.

A front projector setup only works in a room where ambient light is controlled. Sunlight leaking around curtains really ruins it.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
This is our primary TV:

It's a Panasonic PT AE1000U projector. It's getting a bit old, but it was considered quite high-end when I bought it in 2007. Back then, 1080P projectors were brand new.

A front projector setup only works in a room where ambient light is controlled. Sunlight leaking around curtains really ruins it.

Cool I thought no one used those projectors anymore :)

But it must be nice to get a really big screen how big scree you have ?

I guess it is ok in a dark room atleast.
But I would not trust it when it comes to color reproduction etc

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
Front projection is definitely the highest quality picture in most respects. It's definitely not an obsolete technology (though admittedly our projector is an older model). Most of the serious home theater enthusiasts I know use front projectors, though many of them probably also have a more ordinary TV in their living room for comfortably watching football games or whatever. That's the one and only drawback to this -- it doesn't tolerate ambient room light. But if you have a room prepared for this (blackout curtains and so on), there is no better home theater experience.

Actually, I forgot a 2nd drawback - the lamps don't last forever, so every few years, you need to replace the lamp.

You can now get a good quality 1080p projector for under $2000. Right before I bought this, the suggested retail price was something crazy like $7,995, though I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Everyone who sees a movie in our home theater is blown away by how good it looks, and how immersive the viewing experience is with such a big picture, even people with large and expensive 1080p panels at home.

If you project this on the wall (which is what I do) you can make the "screen" as large as you want, though it will be slightly less bright at larger sizes as the lamp's light is dispersed across a broader area. I had planned to purchase a projector screen for this, but was very pleasantly surprised at the great quality of the picture projected on an ordinary wall. Our screen area is something like 140" diagonally, maybe a little more.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
Front projection is definitely the highest quality picture in most respects. It's definitely not an obsolete technology (though admittedly our projector is an older model). Most of the serious home theater enthusiasts I know use front projectors, though many of them probably also have a more ordinary TV in their living room for comfortably watching football games or whatever. That's the one and only drawback to this -- it doesn't tolerate ambient room light. But if you have a room prepared for this (blackout curtains and so on), there is no better home theater experience.

Actually, I forgot a 2nd drawback - the lamps don't last forever, so every few years, you need to replace the lamp.

You can now get a good quality 1080p projector for under $2000. Right before I bought this, the suggested retail price was something crazy like $7,995, though I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Everyone who sees a movie in our home theater is blown away by how good it looks, and how immersive the viewing experience is with such a big picture, even people with large and expensive 1080p panels at home.

If you project this on the wall (which is what I do) you can make the "screen" as large as you want, though it will be slightly less bright at larger sizes as the lamp's light is dispersed across a broader area. I had planned to purchase a projector screen for this, but was very pleasantly surprised at the great quality of the picture projected on an ordinary wall. Our screen area is something like 140" diagonally, maybe a little more.

I was not aware..

THat is the advantages and drawbacks compared to the best tvs ?

How is the black levels and contrast ? on projectors ?

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
The place where I bought my projector has a "why buy a projector?" page that covers most of this.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projectors-vs-TVs.asp

Of course, this place is trying to sell projectors, but I don't believe anything they say is unreasonable. They're hyping 3D, and I think 3D is mostly a gimmick, but they don't say anything dishonest about it.

The simple answer about the difference is that the technology in a projector is the same as with a panel TV -- it's just projected bigger, so you're looking at the same quality but larger. The human eye can't discern individual pixels in a 50" 1080p screen from across the room, so you can blow up the 1080p image much larger than that and actually gain discernible detail.

It's not "magic" of course -- black levels are harmed by ambient room light. Of course panel TVs have problems with reflections on the screen, though panel TVs have less of a problem with this kind of thing than projectors.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
The place where I bought my projector has a "why buy a projector?" page that covers most of this.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projectors-vs-TVs.asp

Of course, this place is trying to sell projectors, but I don't believe anything they say is unreasonable. They're hyping 3D, and I think 3D is mostly a gimmick, but they don't say anything dishonest about it.

The simple answer about the difference is that the technology in a projector is the same as with a panel TV -- it's just projected bigger, so you're looking at the same quality but larger. The human eye can't discern individual pixels in a 50" 1080p screen from across the room, so you can blow up the 1080p image much larger than that and actually gain discernible detail.

It's not "magic" of course -- black levels are harmed by ambient room light. Of course panel TVs have problems with reflections on the screen, though panel TVs have less of a problem with this kind of thing than projectors.

Well interesting, I thought projects had not chance against the latest tvs.
I usually have very little amount of lights in my apartment, often no lights in the night only computer, I also live on the first floor
so for that reason I always have my blind down...

How much do you need to spend to a good projector which would compete with the best tvs today ?

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
as my friend told me, projector people is maybe not the most objective site :)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
I don't dispute that a web site selling projectors is less objective about the benefits of projectors, but as I said, everything in their "Why projectors?" article seems correct in my experience, comparing the projector picture to other LED and Plasma TVs that I have owned and seen elsewhere.

Honestly I haven't shopped or compared models carefully in a while, because the projector we have is still very good despite its age. The model I purchased has been updated many times, and this is the newest:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

It is around $2,000 with a rebate, so not very expensive compared to a larger TV.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
I don't dispute that a web site selling projectors is less objective about the benefits of projectors, but as I said, everything in their "Why projectors?" article seems correct in my experience, comparing the projector picture to other LED and Plasma TVs that I have owned and seen elsewhere.

Honestly I haven't shopped or compared models carefully in a while, because the projector we have is still very good despite its age. The model I purchased has been updated many times, and this is the newest:

It is around $2,000 with a rebate, so not very expensive compared to a larger TV.

yeah so you only save money if you have bigger picture..but I guess most people go for atleast 100 inch.

what about burn time ????
I have heard projectors have a certain burn time...
how much does it cost to change the...lamp ?

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
If a person only wants a smaller picture, for example if they are sitting close to their screen, they should definitely NOT buy a projector, just like they would be foolish to buy a 72" or 84" panel. It's only for bigger rooms, where you would sit back 8 or 10 or 12 feet from the screen.

The benefit in comparison to a panel is not just that you can get a larger screen, but that once you compare the price against a very large panel, the price is much better, even if you pay for a projection screen instead of projecting onto a wall.

I definitely do not want to say everyone should get rid of their regular TVs and replace them with a projector. Just saying that for a "home theater" experience in the true sense of the phrase, meaning a theater-like experience in the home, a projector is unbeatable.

The lamps cost $200-400 and last something on the order of thousands of hours. Lena and I don't watch TV at all (other than the occasional football game), just movies and TV shows on BluRay, perhaps 10 hours a week. I have only had to change the lamp twice. For a person who leaves their TV on all the time, like 30+ hours a week, of course they will have to pay more for replacement lamps.

I expect at some point, replacement lamps for our projector will become more expensive (as is the case for replacement parts for old tech) and it will make sense eventually to replace the projector with a new one. I remember when I worked at a camera shop, some of the people looking for bulbs for very old film projectors and slide projectors would be shocked that the replacement bulbs cost more than their projectors cost new, while bulbs for the newer slide projectors were cheap.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
I have a Samsung DLP TV, something like this:

Its 56 inches and looks great. I bought it used a couple years ago and its going strong. They also need a lamp, mine is working fine so far. I can get a replacement for under $50 when it finally goes out.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
Samsung 37 inch LCD (1080/120 mHz) in the living room
LG 32 inch LCD (720/60 mHz) in the bedroom...it suits us fine since we don't watch much TV there

I will be buying a 46 inch LG LED (1080/120 mHz) next because Samsungs are more expensive and I can't tell that much difference between the two plus I have had some issues with my Samsung (3 of the 4 HDMI inputs went bad within 1 year...a problem with lots of Samsungs back a few years ago).

I know plasmas give a better picture, but I have had no issues with LCD...the picture is bright enough, the blacks are black enough (for me) and the viewing angle is more than good enough for our rather narrow living room.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »

I did watch the youtube videos on that site...I must say it got me interested...
obviously it has both good contrast and black level too.

Is panasonic on the fore front when it comes to projectors... it would save time for me if I only need to focus on Panasonic projectors..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
Samsung 37 inch LCD (1080/120 mHz) in the living room
LG 32 inch LCD (720/60 mHz) in the bedroom...it suits us fine since we don't watch much TV there

I will be buying a 46 inch LG LED (1080/120 mHz) next because Samsungs are more expensive and I can't tell that much difference between the two plus I have had some issues with my Samsung (3 of the 4 HDMI inputs went bad within 1 year...a problem with lots of Samsungs back a few years ago).

I know plasmas give a better picture, but I have had no issues with LCD...the picture is bright enough, the blacks are black enough (for me) and the viewing angle is more than good enough for our rather narrow living room.

I think a problem with LCDs is that they in many cases are too bright.. makes it too sharp and hurts the eyes kind of...plasmas is more relaxing on the eyes.. imo

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
I did watch the youtube videos on that site...I must say it got me interested...

Is panasonic on the fore front when it comes to projectors... it would save time for me if I only need to focus on Panasonic projectors..

At the time I bought my projector, Panasonic was considered #1, but Epson has recently produced more and more of the higher-rated projectors. When it comes time for me to look for another projector, I would definitely consider Panasonic again, as well as Epson.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »

At the time I bought my projector, Panasonic was considered #1, but Epson has recently produced more and more of the higher-rated projectors. When it comes time for me to look for another projector, I would definitely consider Panasonic again, as well as Epson.

Epson is mostly known for their printers and scanners...
Feels I trust Panasonic more...

But I will never forgive them to abandon the plasma market in favor for LCD...
it is tragic... that the tvs with best tv quality does not sell in bigger numbers.. their latest tv series z60 had it all..amazing design..amazing picture... I guess the price was little bit expensive but the 2012 models had same price... when they where released..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
how much does a good screen for a projector cost ?

Steve Lazur

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
I'm with Mike G.  I have the latest model Panasonic, the PT-AE8000U. The image is stunning. I have no cable, so I just watch movies with an Oppo 105 Blu-ray player.  The sound and picture on that unit matches the projector. And the system does 3D. Watching a 3D movie, you are in an alternate reality. I find that when I watch a movie, I am never temped to get up and adjust this, or tweek that. I hit play and I am gone. I watched The Wizard of Oz in 3D the other night and it was surreal. A film that I have known and loved forever, now I am seeing in an all new way. Same with movies like The Searchers and Titanic in 3D. I have a Stewart 92" screen. That was about as big as I could go for the distance back I sit, any bigger and I would get a headache. Even still, some movies, like Cloverfield make me nauseous. Those films are rare though. If I had a bigger place, I would definitely go with a bigger screen. I don't see it as a draw back that I need a dark room, as I would not want to watch a movie any other way. I'm so glad I got this projection system instead of a conventional TV. It makes watching a movie at home, and event. And concert films are amazing. I have a National Geographic Universe Blu-ray that I like to put on and listen to other music to. That is a different experience. I have friends over often, but some of them come over just for the popcorn, as I figured out how to make amazing popcorn.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
I have been thinking about having a projector behind my computer monitor on the wall.. but I do not feel like spending to much money on it.. just to use as secondary monitor to watch video while I use the computer...  Does Panasonic have good budget projectors too ???