Author Topic: Founder of Native Instruments New Hardware Synth  (Read 2443 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Founder of Native Instruments New Hardware Synth
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:58 AM »
Stephan Schmitt founder of NI has step down as CEO and is now spearheading  http://nonlinear-labs.de/org/about.html

Heres his 1st prototype idea....

Perhaps the future of soft synths is hardware?

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Founder of Native Instruments New Hardware Synth
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
I am very sure this hardware synth will only contain softaware anyway in a neat little package just like the arturia stuff...btw I must mention that arturia is the most overrated company..such crappy products..and all synths yes all synths sounds the same..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »
and on this one where is the knobs ?

will it be one gigantic loop machine looks like it..

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
This text is taken from the website......a gigantic looper, I dont thinks so.  But who cant tell at this stage.

Technology

The musical instruments we are developing embody a number of fundamental concepts which are important to us: performance-centered technology, product development focused on longevity and evolutionary development, an open source approach, and sustainable production methods.

Standalone systems. Our instruments are fully self-contained no external computers. We rely on ARM microcontrollers for the highest level of real-time performance, reliability and flexibility. Separate synthesis engines tap the vast audio processing power of embedded PCs. Optionally, software GUIs can be added by connecting Android mobile devices.

Full control. We have developed the TCD musical control protocol which overcomes many limitations of MIDI. TCD stands for "Time, Curve, Destination" and implements a high-resolution control over all aspects of a dynamic and expressive live musical performance. Read more about our TCD concept here.

Software-based digital sound synthesis. We are not interested in resurrecting the past by modeling analog machines of yesteryear. We are inspired by the virtually limitless sonic palette offered by digital sound synthesis. "Software-based" means that our durable instruments can evolve without falling into obsolescence. More about Phase 22, our first synthesis engine.

Top-quality hardware. Our musical instruments are built to last. They are not consumables to be thrown out and replaced every few years. We use the best components available to provide musicians with durable instruments.

Open source. Over the past few decades, the dynamics of open source has created many solid and mature technologies and has empowered people around the world. It is an invitation to sharing and community, fitting in well with how most musicians think. For Nonlinear Labs, it also means that our ideas can be used in other areas of music performance and production. Whenever possible, we will make our technologies freely available to these ends.

Local production. Our prototyping and production is 100% "Made in Berlin". Working locally means faster development cycles and better communication with manufacturing partners, resulting in higher quality. And by keeping travel and shipping to a minimum, we reduce our carbon footprint and can ensure that social working standards are met./i]

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
Very interesting, big respect for the feller who started NI / developed Reaktor - still one of the most interesting synth environments that I've come across. If only they'd got some guys in to develop some less glitchy / 'aphex-esque' presets to show what else some of those ensembles could really do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:58:34 PM by petekelly »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
well let me guess, another super flexible product with terrible sound quality...
usually that is the way... it is not often both worlds meet together.

The new Prophet 12 seemed amazing but it sounded like a average soft synth...
Or the Solaris synth. So much focus on everything else besides the pure sound. 

Well anyway...this might be unique who knows the prototype looks atleast different..
it will be intersting to see what all these buttons are for..either they are multi function buttons similar
to oberheim xpander/matrix 12, where each button is an object such as filter and you change parameters of the object with the knobs on the left. or the buttons are "cells with samples similar to a lot of software samplers or ableton session view...  On the top where it is just empty will probably be more knobs...

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
well let me guess, another super flexible product with terrible sound quality...

I cant fathom how you have an opinion about this metal frame and keyboard when it hardly makes a sound and one that you have not heard, unless you mean that NI soft synths have a terrible sound quality and this man has something to do with the creation of that company so......???  Did you actually read the quote or go to website.  It is the "idea" of something that is one of the most powerful forces on this planet. Its usually simple in essence and can often be extraordinary in completion.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »

I cant fathom how you have an opinion about this metal frame and keyboard when it hardly makes a sound and one that you have not heard, unless you mean that NI soft synths have a terrible sound quality and this man has something to do with the creation of that company so......???  Did you actually read the quote or go to website.  It is the "idea" of something that is one of the most powerful forces on this planet. Its usually simple in essence and can often be extraordinary in completion.

I look it into a more historic context.. how much synths does really sound good ? and is anything special ?
Most digital synths sounds the same average sound...  If it is analogue digital hybrid I would very happy...
Yes please to Analogue OSCs and Filters.  If not it will probably sound just like any other synth out there.
But we will see..the odds are still low...I have seen so many new synths hyped over the years..same hype.. usually always amazing in all ways, good to use and perform with but always lack the good sound. Luckily you can get even a crap sounding synth to sound good with an extensive effect chain that is basically my approach.  If I had a bigger budget to spend on synths I would probably had preferred to use more analogue or hardware synths.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »

Immersion.....In one sense Im happy you are so vocal....and I do respect your opinion but you are mistaken.....its ok, you dont have the perspective which is something middle age men like myself  have earned through experience. You have youth that should have hope and a less jaded viewpoint..... ;)

You do know your pursuit for what is pure will only lead to silence...I hope thats what you are looking for.

No offense ment....just tired of having imho potentially good threads trashed.

Love & Peace

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »

Immersion.....In one sense Im happy you are so vocal....and I do respect your opinion but you are mistaken.....its ok, you dont have the perspective which is something middle age men like myself  have earned through experience. You have youth that should have hope and a less jaded viewpoint..... ;)

You do know your pursuit for what is pure will only lead to silence...I hope thats what you are looking for.

No offense ment....just tired of having imho potentially good threads trashed.

Love & Peace

I did not give up hope, I said lets wait and see...
Lets see what the synth has to offer, just new functions or actually great sonic sound.
Most manufactures prefer to just make cool functions and features it works better in advertisement too... makes it look more new and "revolutionary" well all that is good, but do not forget the sound too.

Obviously it is an easier task to make a synth with new cool function then a synth that offer amazing sonic quality.  Let's see if it will be another soft synth in hardware format...
Atleast we know it will not have a big ipad-screen like many other so called "Revolutionary" synths today (sigh).

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
I have Matrix 12 in my studio.....its days are numbered.  What then?  Perhaps Stephan Schmitts new synth will be just what is need.  Can something replace...perhaps.  Will synthesis progress in some shape or form in hardware after electrically feed oscillators. Yes!

Again I welcome a debate....with a positive look into the future.....my thread, my rules.  ;)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
I have Matrix 12 in my studio.....its days are numbered.  What then?  Perhaps Stephan Schmitts new synth will be just what is need.  Can something replace...perhaps.  Will synthesis progress in some shape or form in hardware after electrically feed oscillators. Yes!

Again I welcome a debate....with a positive look into the future.....my thread, my rules.  ;)

yeah but when reading the website I get the vibes this is an company that will produce an other new synth with new cool features but forget about the sonic quality. Well we will see :)
Let's not believe the hype... so far we know nothing about it, besides it will be the most revolutionary synth in the world.

Personally if I was really rich I would be very interested to have Tom Oberheim's new synth tho voice or 4 voice synths.

http://www.tomoberheim.com/

Plenty of videos on youtube... I think it would be great for creating berlin school and that kind of music... But so many things to buy...my money can't buy anything I want...so I have to live with soft synths until the day I start to prioritize hardware synths more..but as it is now I feel software can make things done..

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
Well, if you dont believe in the the future of software.....ok.  Oberhiem 4 voice...not new and not so forward looking though truly beautiful.....just an amazing awe inspiriting re creation with much improved midi etc.. Amazing to have it available today.....one foot in the past, one foot in the future.

By the way this is not a conversation.......

And you have spent 4-5k on and Eventide external FX box to run soft synths through......Ok,  time to take my blood pressure medication. Your notion of planning for the future has my nervous. My bad you actually have no vision for the future.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:54:14 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
Well, if you dont believe in the the future of software.....ok.  Oberhiem 4 voice...not new and not so forward looking though truly beautiful.....just an amazing awe inspiriting re creation with much improved midi etc.. Amazing to have it available today.....one foot in the past, one foot in the future.

By the way this is not a conversation.......

And you would spent 4-5k on and Eventide external FX box to run soft synths through......Ok,  time to take my blood pressure medication. Your notion of planning for the future has my nervous.

I believe in software, but since intel has been on vacation since amd did stop competing not much has happening, software synths are still full of compromises in order to save cpu cycles.
If software starts use multiple cpu cores like the Lush 101 do then there might be hope.

Oberhiem not forward looking well it is, since it combine digital and analogue technology in a very good way.  The new pro versions are digitally controlled you can save presets etc you get the best of digital and analogue worlds.. which make this synth more useful and less of nightmare to program.  For me it is the sonic quality that matters not all this advertisement bs showing all thew new "revolutionary" functions etc.  I have nothing against new functions and new ideas as long as they put the sonic quality as the most primary factor.  Most companies focus on getting a trendy and modern interface etc which looks good to the eye.. but sounds average...luckily there is a few soft synths that stand out from the big soup...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »

And you have spent 4-5k on and Eventide external FX box to run soft synths through......Ok,  time to take my blood pressure medication. Your notion of planning for the future has my nervous. My bad you actually have no vision for the future.  ;)

You mean I should have bought an expensive hardware synth instead ?
Even with such synth I would need the eventide still, moog is the only synth that sounds good without sound processing, all sounds need sound processing more or less. The eventide will make my life better for sure, even though it did empty my bank account it was worth it.   Life is about realizing dreams, and to own this unit was one of them.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
Im done....might be time to take a little hiatus from the forum.  This is going no where and all this is sucking my energy as long as this "format" persists.

All the power to you Immersion!

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 04:13:05 AM »
Julio,
Thanks for posting this and your other postings on technical stuff, don't feel the need to take a hiatus. Personally I'm far more interested in the thoughts of someone who has released (some great !) ambient music, than someone who merely has a set of intransigent opinions and no examples of their music output.

I'm also tiring of thread hi-jacking too and posts about what my favourite food processor is...

Opinions are no substitute for experience.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 04:52:05 AM »
Julio,
Thanks for posting this and your other postings on technical stuff, don't feel the need to take a hiatus. Personally I'm far more interested in the thoughts of someone who has released (some great !) ambient music, than someone who merely has a set of intransigent opinions and no examples of their music output.

I'm also tiring of thread hi-jacking too and posts about what my favourite food processor is...

Opinions are no substitute for experience.

I have a good idea. What about only members who have released an album can sign up and write on this forum ?

I did not know that this was a pure  only positive new age "mood" forum all dress in white clothes.
So people with a more darker or negative or realistic view on things are not welcome ?

We all should be happy and just express positive things in traditional new age fashion ?
A place to find positive energy ? I didn't know it was, I prefer to be a realist.

I guess it is not a forum for dark ambient people who are too negative and have too much of dark mood cause those people are just sucking out energy out of all the new age people who are here to support their positive energies.

Regarding hyped synths I have seen many of them, and just as 99% it will most likely fall into the category with cool features and new ideas but with a mediocre sound.  This is the reality.
Just because it is new and unreleased does not mean it will be some kind of revolution, just because it is not released it gets hyped, always the same when a new synth comes, that it will be synth that revolutionize the world.  I am sorry for sucking too much energy...I should try to be more positive...

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »
Quote from: Immersion
This is the reality.

Amen!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »
Quote from: Immersion
This is the reality.

Amen!

If 99% is not mediocre then it must mean you are happy with 99% of all the synths out there ?
It is not that I am saying you can make music on these but why use those 99% when there is better...so to have a certain high standard to sort out what you don't really need or you benifit on does not hurt.  Both in hardware land and software land there is this 99% mass.. you can be with out for sure. And just consider how many synths are out there..especially digital.