Author Topic: Steve Roach "Spiral Meditations" and "At The Edge Of Everything" - 2013  (Read 2275 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach "Spiral Meditations" and "At The Edge Of Everything" - 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
cool, thanks, I did check his website yesterday and was thinking about where is all roach releases, has been a quite dry year from him...only live releases mostly...looking forward to both...

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
Thanks for the head's up.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »
 8)  right on. . . .  :)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »
Nice to see steve roach release new cds. I must admit I do not buy cds anymore, but I really like around 2005-2008 when I still did buy new cds...it was always so exciting to receive the packages from steve and with his new music.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
I dunno, seems a bit lazy to keep releasing live albums from over 10 years ago.   I'd rather hear something fresh and new.  The other new disc sounds okay, but not inspiring enough to invest in.  I used to buy new SR albums immediately without question.  These days I find I'm placing my orders months later or even not at all.  Maybe I'm getting more picky as I get older...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I dunno, seems a bit lazy to keep releasing live albums from over 10 years ago.   I'd rather hear something fresh and new.  The other new disc sounds okay, but not inspiring enough to invest in.  I used to buy new SR albums immediately without question.  These days I find I'm placing my orders months later or even not at all.  Maybe I'm getting more picky as I get older...

Well I feel the same...ever as he moved to his new home and his new studio...
I have felt the same... I also think when he did move or build the new studio he have changed gear...
Cause the sound was soo much better before... around 2005-2008 era.

Even if it is more of the same he release it is still appreciated, cause...most of his cds you have been listening to too much..

"Groove Immersion" album was especially disappointing.  I am not a huge fan of the delay unit he use to create those rhythmic delay sounds, I guess it is his try to give a more modern sound.  Problem is he have done it on album after album since 2008 and "Destination Beyond  " album.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Agreed.  But I think his music sounded best between '88 and '96, especially origins and artifacts are two masterpieces.  BTW, I never even bought Groove Immersion...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
sound wise I think the "Destination Beyond" album sound very good but the album after Dynamic Stillness   sounds radically different, sounds like a different reverb was used maybe, maybe different converters it lacks of the smooth high end, if you look at an analyze spectrum you see that if you ask me he cut of the high end way to radically...  when he do that.. when he add percussion.. then usually the whole frequency spectrum is used.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
I am believing to think that steve has a pair of speakers that exaggerates the high end a lot, cause when I put my EQ up in the hign end it sounds much better..but still the Frequency analyzer does not like these frequencies are way too low in the mix in many cases..make sound little bit "dead" and boring.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »
Roach's newer stuff seems to be "low level listening" music, more for background than deep focus.  It has a place, IMO, but it's not why I like Roach.

The more active 'tribal' stuff from 10-15 years ago is more engaging to my ears.

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
Roach's newer stuff seems to be "low level listening" music, more for background than deep focus.  It has a place, IMO, but it's not why I like Roach.

The more active 'tribal' stuff from 10-15 years ago is more engaging to my ears.

I think he have done big changes in his signal/effect/processing chain.  Maybe he did sold a lot of stuff when he got the new studio or changed something in the studio, when I look at the spectrum analyzer I see the high end is often totally missing, he have put the low pass filter way too extreme it seem, I miss the high end, they are very very low, if I eq them up in my EQ the overal music sounds much better. but My speakers and spectrum analyzer do not lie, the high end must up a lot higher...

As I said earlier I fear maybe in his studio the high end sounds a lot more in his speaker and system.
In my old hi fi speakers which does exaggerate the high end treble,  steve roach music did in some regards sound better (besides detail level) in his newer releases, but with my new HG3 speakers which are more flat It sounds not as good as it could, first I thought it was my speakers ,but then I did listen and did study the spectrum analyzer and I saw..it should be like that.. Same thing with My DT880 pro headphones which also have a flat response...

If he just did add the Dangerous BAX eq and did up the treble more I am sure it would make a dramitc difference it does when I eq them in my mediaplayer..  it makes the reverb sounds more "open" and less cut off.. I think there is nothing worse then reverb that in this style of music that is not open but cutted in some frequency, it is just my opinion.. if you cut it, the reveverb sounds like a cheap reverb, it is the difference between expensive and cheap reverbs the expensive reverb sounds more open across the whole frequency spectrum.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
I have every SR album plus a few extras. I guess you could call me a Roach fan. Most I can sit back with a beer or two and enjoy no matter which album I play. I especially love to head out to the Mojave desert for the night and have a campfire with some atmospheric/drone sounds. I also have every album/cd from Tangerine Dream. But I still like the Dream from the 70's to mid 80's the best. For Steve roach I prefer his earlier sounds but I still dig his newer style. All depends on the mood and beer I'm drinking.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
alcohol can be a good combination with ambient... it makes it easier sometimes to get inside these ambient worlds

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
If you ask me nothing of recent years comes even close to Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces. That's the standard he has to beat. If he can top that, it would raise the bar for the entire ambient genre. The real masterpieces come maybe once a decade. But there's still plenty of good stuff from 2003-2013. I absolutely love Dream Tracker for example, or Road Eternal. And Journey of One (yes from an older concert, but still...amazing). Arc of Passion, Soul Tones.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:29:29 PM by DeepR »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
If you ask me nothing of recent years comes even close to Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces. That's the standard he has to beat. If he can top that, it would raise the bar for the entire ambient genre. The real masterpieces come maybe once a decade. But there's still plenty of good stuff from 2003-2013. I absolutely love Dream Tracker for example, or Road Eternal. And Journey of One (yes from an older concert, but still...amazing). Arc of Passion, Soul Tones.

Yes... Mystic chords is his album that come most close to the universal consciousness.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
What is this: "the universal consciousness" ??
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
What is this: "the universal consciousness" ??

cosmic consciousness maybe is a better word.  When it feels you your consciousness  comes one with the cosmic consciousness or the cosmic i general,  your mind drift way into new dimensions you float through waters and the void and beyond into a vortex a black hole into the paradise new beautiful world, yeah the music really takes you where ever your imagination is taking you.

It is without doubt his most "focused "album of immense beauty, and perfection.

But as most of his music I find them best in headphones in bed, before you sleep, it is great meditation creates visions of lucid dreaming.

I hope steve roach will release more albums of similiar quality but my main problem is his latest albums  have a lot worse sound quality... The drones in destination beyond if you exclude everything else I think was some "next level" stuff, really good analuge sounding drones on that album, but after that I think his albums sounds a lot worse, I am eager to know what part of his chain that is responsible for that, he obviously still use the oberheims, maybe he now use another reverb, it doues not sound like the PCM 91 anymore.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
"your consciousness comes one with the cosmic consciousness" ???
"you float through waters and the void and beyond into a vortex" ??
"a black hole into the paradise new beautiful world" ??

What !!! 
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
"your consciousness comes one with the cosmic consciousness" ???
"you float through waters and the void and beyond into a vortex" ??
"a black hole into the paradise new beautiful world" ??

What !!!

Metaphysical experiences! :)
Steve Roach music is like that a trip through you imagination and dreams. I compare much like a psycho active drug.  It have similar effect.