Author Topic: My review of "Emergence" CD by Shane Morris & Mystified  (Read 722 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Emergence" CD by Shane Morris & Mystified
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:28:09 AM »

Shane Morris & Mystified "Emergence" CD

"Emergence", released during June 2013 on Spotted Peccary/Lotuspike, is the second chapter of "Inspired Evolution" trilogy and follow-up to adventurous "Epoch". While on "Epoch" Shane Morris & Thomas Park (aka Mystified) have focused on giant dinosaurs colonizing the land, "Emergence" maps the appearance of mammals. Just the same as with "Epoch", also "Emergence" immediately catches my attention with stunning artwork (original photography by Jourdan Laik, layout and design by Daniel Pipitone).

Over ten minutes long opener, "From The Primordial Night", takes the listener directly into nocturnally frightening wooded swamp territory. Mysterious drone on the back, synthesized drops, frog-like calls, buzzing noises of insects, emerging percussive dissonances, ear-tickling click-clack, ominous breaths..., I could call this as a cacophony, but somehow it sounds quite intricate and it precisely evokes deep moist forest. Wear your headphones and you will take a spectacularly transporting prehistoric journey with many aural rewards, a grandiose opening!!! The next piece, "A Struggling New Form Of Life", starts quietly, but soon tensive circles invade along with dramatic percussive rumbles. After culminating, sonic dissonances again switch into mesmerizingly mindscaping waves. Then reappear once more in richly cavernous organic form. Awesome!!! This track is nothing short of riveting immersion provided by its predecessor. "Weathering Storm And Tide" unfolds with rain and thunder on-site recordings and mysterious ghostlike drone emanations, which intermingle throughout with sinisterly repetitive percussive clicks. "To The Icy Peaks" melts leading drone expansions, buzzing noises, sharper outbursts of percussions and clattering fragments. Smoothly floating and meandering through calmer snowscaping plateaus with some climbs into thrillingly dramatic heights. The closing cut, "Feet On The Ancient Forest Floor", moves to wealthily colored ravine trails, lushly organic and intriguingly disturbing, with mystifyingly monotonous shaking rhythm later thrown in. A grand finale!!!

This is definitely not your mediocre dose of dark ambient-infused recording, but an enormously thrilling, anomalously accomplished and stunningly proficient sonic document offering to each journeyer a truly adventurous listening gratification!!! "Emergence" (mastered by Ben Cox) is undoubtedly after "Epoch" another must have from these two gifted explorers!!! I just have no idea how can Shane Morris & Mystified top these two parts with the final installment...

Richard Gürtler (Dec 08, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia)