MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

effects - old and new

<< < (3/3)

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: Seren on December 10, 2013, 04:12:18 PM ---Hi Immersion - my initial post was considering the lack of any 'new' kind of effect not whether old or new versions are better or not than each other.

I think I am surprised that no one has come up with something really new in the 20 years or so I was out of the loop - unless of course, as I said, people can direct me to effects I've not heard of yet.

Granular synthesis is one thing I had heard of, but not found anything recommended to start exploring with on a novice basis - any recommendations welcome people....

Anyone here building phaser effects units, pm me please.....

--- End quote ---

Granular synthesis, Eventide Has those for sure, those classic "crystals" sounds I guess use this method combined with pitch shifting.

Granular Guitar - The Moog Guitar meets csGrain

btw the moog guitar is quite cool..but way too overpriced but the sustaining technology is great..
kind of like an ebow.

APK:

--- Quote from: Seren on December 10, 2013, 04:12:18 PM ---I think I am surprised that no one has come up with something really new in the 20 years or so I was out of the loop - unless of course, as I said, people can direct me to effects I've not heard of yet.

--- End quote ---
Perhaps there is only so much you can do with sound ... reverb it, echo, distort it in various ways, bit crush, rhythmic gate, slow/speed it up, and now granular treatments. What a lot of modern effects do is simply variations on these. But they can make complex things simpler, especially with more powerful CPUs. They can also give you a lot of things in one plugin (Sugar Bytes plugins for example). I'm not sure there can be a great new effect that is not a variation on the established ones. What is really new and exciting, though, is what artists and engineers get up to with those effects. There are certainly tracks and musical styles created now that were not around, or attempted, 20 years ago. It's a creative thing.

On effects, I personally like to chain effects/instruments using some sort of VST host program. You can mix effects and synths to considerable ... er, effect. To sculpt or find your own sound. And save the whole ensemble as a re-usable unit. And this ability is where CPU power really becomes important.

mgriffin:
That OTO Biscuit device is pretty interesting. My first response was "ehhh, bit rate reduction... seen it before, heard it before," but the way it was set up with tweakable controls changed my mind. This could be a really useful device to add to the arsenal, especially for those of us who do a lot of improvising or live performance.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 11, 2013, 10:38:35 AM ---That OTO Biscuit device is pretty interesting. My first response was "ehhh, bit rate reduction... seen it before, heard it before," but the way it was set up with tweakable controls changed my mind. This could be a really useful device to add to the arsenal, especially for those of us who do a lot of improvising or live performance.

--- End quote ---

sounds exactely like the D16 stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version