MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

effects - old and new

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 10, 2013, 10:30:28 AM ---I think there's some truth to this -- processing power has increased greatly, but effects processors have not changed conceptually in a long time.

--- End quote ---

How about Bricasti M7, I think that should be added to the list, it is one of a kind reverb.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 10, 2013, 10:30:28 AM ---

One possibility opened up by all this processing power we have now is the use of complex multi-effects configurations built by the user. You can build all kinds of crazy sound processing machinery using systems designed for this purpose like Max or Pure Data, or systems designed to be synthesizers with audio input options, such as Reaktor or the Nord Modular.

--- End quote ---

Yes extensive effect chains is a art form in itself...

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: petekelly on December 10, 2013, 06:55:02 AM ---I think this is a very good point and I tend to share your 'negative amazement', Seren !

An example of re-inventing the wheel is all those emulations of tube style overdrive / distortion - a technology that is pretty ancient in itself. As regards FX in general, I think thats a more interesting area these days.

--- End quote ---

I agree, tube emulations can bring a lot of living magic into the mix... more useful then many effects..

Tube emulations is not FX though.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: Seren on December 10, 2013, 04:40:57 AM ---I'd like to tease a theme out of the middle of another thread.....

....after almost 20 years of neither listening to recorded music, nor recording music I was very surprised when I started dipping my toes back in to the river again.

In some ways I was positively amazed - the things digital synths and DAWs can now do would have taken a building the size of Rockfield recording studios in the 70's and 80's (when I was recording) to achieve.

In other ways I was negatively amazed - despite all the advancements, effects units appeared to be basically the same, more complicated, more powerful, but still focussed around the same set of processes that had been around for years - reverb, phase, flange, echo, filters, ring mod etc.

I know I may not have looked hard enough or in the right place, but I am surprised about this - I would be very happy to be corrected and guided to interesting effects or other sound processing

Please discuss:

--- End quote ---

Well in many ways I have to agree with you, you are actually right..

For effects still many of the old effects are still the best, such as phaser, flanger ,wah-wah, etc Eventide do a good job emulating the analog versions. When it comes to reverb,  Lexicon reverbs have been in the existence a long time... Some still use the PCM 70 with good results.. they have since then been slightly improvements, PCM 91 is up to todays standards, for sure.. and it was released a long time ago. Bricasti M7 and Eventide H8000FW have been giving good contribution to the effect world also.. but otherwise still many of the old 70s analog effects is still considering the best, and in many cases considered better then their digital emulations.  The difference is nowdays everything is more clean and more controllable, also mastering tools is the real revolution which also brings the effects to a new level in the end of the chain..

I am also little bit disappointed with development, should be more...in year 2013, I think you shouldn't have to rob a bank to by the H8000FW to get good effects, but unfortunately you do, but I wish there where tons of products with similar quality .  Same goes with reverb, it is surpring there is not more competion in this market, Lexicon have pretty much been dominting the reverb market for a very long time, it have changed a bit now because of all software reverbs. But lexicon reverbs sill considering to have a unique character which can come close with with others reverb but with a slightly different taste.... but it has been taking a long time,

Ever since Lexicon announced they would release a plugin the market did suddenly put out a lot of reverb quality plugins. 

I feel pitty for SSL, who released the X-VERB, if they only had done it one year earlier, it would had been a great success, but instead it did come into the total shadow.. I guess a very few people use it. 

Seren:
Hi Immersion - my initial post was considering the lack of any 'new' kind of effect not whether old or new versions are better or not than each other.

I think I am surprised that no one has come up with something really new in the 20 years or so I was out of the loop - unless of course, as I said, people can direct me to effects I've not heard of yet.

Granular synthesis is one thing I had heard of, but not found anything recommended to start exploring with on a novice basis - any recommendations welcome people....

Anyone here building phaser effects units, pm me please.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version