Author Topic: windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2  (Read 1152 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Good news Windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2 as a optional choice.

Well..they should had done it under the 1 year beta period .

xouoxno

• View Profile
    • http://biink.com
Re: windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
good news. I still haven't tried Win8 yet.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »
good news. I still haven't tried Win8 yet.

Yes good initiative by Microsoft, I think it will take away 99% of the windows 8 haters.

But it is still a mystery why they did not do it earlier..
but I speculate if they would release it with the start menu people would complain too much that windows 8 was too similar to windows 7.  Well almost all people agree that it was a stupid choice to not make an option to activate the windows 7 start menu.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »
Finally.

My wife bought a laptop right when Win 8 came out, and had to get it, despite wanting 7.  She hates it so much she never uses that computer.  I've tried to get used to it, but it forces me to completely change the way I use the desktop, etc., so I don't use it either.  Very expensive paperweight.   >:(

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
Finally.

My wife bought a laptop right when Win 8 came out, and had to get it, despite wanting 7.  She hates it so much she never uses that computer.  I've tried to get used to it, but it forces me to completely change the way I use the desktop, etc., so I don't use it either.  Very expensive paperweight.   >:(

I think Microsoft is really stubborn, it is obvious about how many want the start menu back or atleast make it an option to enable it.  I have not heard one single person who prefer the metro or mordern UI instead of the old start menu not one single person... so yeah.. 

Obviousaly I have adapted with modern UI so for me it is not a problem any more, I use it as fast as the start menu.. but it would feel better for my mind to not have to open up this full screen window every time..

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
Finally.

Forrest, you should install Classic Shell on your wife's laptop. It's a free add-on that gives Win 8 a start button (or at least a button that functions mostly the same way) and eliminates most of the irritating aspects of Win 8. I install it on all the new PCs at work before I even let anyone touch them, and everybody who has a Win 8 machine at home comes to me and says "Tell me how to make my home computer function like the one at work."
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll take a look at that.  But she's moved on to her ipad, so I don't think she'll use the laptop ever again anyway.  lol
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »
I thought it was supposed to be available on their 8.1 release? Guess it didn't happen? And there are options out there to add it to Win8 as mentioned (some free, some cheap) but I am not touching it any time soon as long as Win7 has support. And yes, MS is daft when it comes to this situation. Too bad they weren't smart enough to say oh - this machine isn't touch screen so let's enable the start button, and give the touch screen enabled systems the option to have it there. But  noooooooo, too stubborn....

I played around with Win8 on a VM at work for testing IE10 and the web app and there was a bit of work the devs had to do for the CSS stuff displaying incorrectly in IE10 vs IE8/9 or FF/Chrome lmao....and now IE11.. I avoid IE* like the plague unless a website forces me to HAVE to use it for their forms and crap.

Mike

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
IE has always had non-standard handling of HTML. It's pretty annoying that this browser is still required by so many web sites, considering it's never been standard and it's no longer the most popular browser.

It's pretty easy to install something like Classic Shell (or one of the free equivalents) on Win 8 and in my experience (rolling out Win 8 Pro company-wide to almost 60 users) there have been almost zero complaints about Win 8 when Classic Shell is enabled. If you try to give somebody Win 8 without a start button, though, roughly 100% of people say "What the f*ck is this crap? I can't use this!"

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but not by much.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »
It's pretty easy to install something like Classic Shell (or one of the free equivalents) on Win 8 and in my experience (rolling out Win 8 Pro company-wide to almost 60 users) there have been almost zero complaints about Win 8 when Classic Shell is enabled. If you try to give somebody Win 8 without a start button, though, roughly 100% of people say "What the f*ck is this crap? I can't use this!"

Classic shell helped me a lot.  I even have a touchscreen laptop and I can't tolerate the Metro interface.  The Metro interface is crap unless you don't have a keyboard at all (tablet).  MS has really messed up on Windows in their quest to catch up with the iPad.  In all fairness though, it's tough to do real work on an iPad in my opinion.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »

Classic shell helped me a lot.  I even have a touchscreen laptop and I can't tolerate the Metro interface.  The Metro interface is crap unless you don't have a keyboard at all (tablet).  MS has really messed up on Windows in their quest to catch up with the iPad.  In all fairness though, it's tough to do real work on an iPad in my opinion.

What´s your need for Window 8? Just go back to Win7 and you won´t have all this problems…my new pc had Win8 preinstalled and after messing around with it I just thought "WTF is that for a crap"…bought a Win7 version for 39 Euro and I´m more than happy.

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
I would not recommend to go back to windows 7 it is much slower, in all regards.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
I would not recommend to go back to windows 7 it is much slower, in all regards.

What are your sources for all regards - or is it just a personal opinion?

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »

Greetings,
Tomas

I have seen benchmarks, cause on work I told my employee that Windows 8 is faster, he told me yes it might be but not on our computers cause at work we did use mostly "give away" computers with Pentium 4 and so on,...  I then did show him benchmarks where they had compared  windows 7 and windows 8 on an 7 year old computer, windows 8 was noticeable faster in all regards even on an old computer.

Even on a faster i7 I still feel the windows 8 is faster and more snappy..but it will be more noticeable on an older computer for sure.

I also get a lot better DPC latency results on windows 8 which is important if you are working with audio.

I understand that people want to boycote windows 8 because of the Modern UI but for me it is what is under the hood that matters to me... the windows core i simply faster.  After a few weeks  Mordern UI/Metro did not bother me at all..you learn a few tricks to make it faster to use too..

One simple trick I use a lot is I have the desktop icon on metro on top the left, the reason Is if I have it placed in that position I only need to press the enter button to enter the windows desktop and windows button on the keyboard to get back.it is fast to use..

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

Greetings,
Tomas

I have seen benchmarks, cause on work I told my employee that Windows 8 is faster, he told me yes it might be but not on our computers cause at work we did use mostly "give away" computers with Pentium 4 and so on,...  I then did show him benchmarks where they had compared  windows 7 and windows 8 on an 7 year old computer, windows 8 was noticeable faster in all regards even on an old computer.

Even on a faster i7 I still feel the windows 8 is faster and more snappy..but it will be more noticeable on an older computer for sure.

I also get a lot better DPC latency results on windows 8 which is important if you are working with audio.

I understand that people want to boycote windows 8 because of the Modern UI but for me it is what is under the hood that matters to me... the windows core i simply faster.  After a few weeks  Mordern UI/Metro did not bother me at all..you learn a few tricks to make it faster to use too..

One simple trick I use a lot is I have the desktop icon on metro on top the left, the reason Is if I have it placed in that position I only need to press the enter button to enter the windows desktop and windows button on the keyboard to get back.it is fast to use..

Once more, sources?

Because most of your text are a personal opinions/experiences.

Also, talking in percents what is the number of being noticeable faster? 10%? 20%? more?

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
well we are talking about 10%, but it does vary in some regards they perform equal. For audio Transcode windows 8 is faster. Boot times is a lot more faster of course. On an old laptop it can be a big deal for instance...

The "noticeably faster" parts are maybe not shown in benchmarks but it is mostly because the GUI is GPU accelerated in windows 8 to me it makes the whole interface more snappy..

So yeah despite Metro I think..there is good reasons to upgrade to windows 8.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Windows 8's compatibility with older programs is worse than it was for Windows 7 and even Vista. Had a heck of a time trying to get Mobil 1 Rally Championship (awesome game BTW) running on my Win8 laptop and when I got it running in a playable state, it doesn't run quite as well as it did on my Vista laptop (slight frame rate dips, despite being well above the game's system requirements). Oddly enough, resolution has no effect whatsoever on the framerate.

I've heard of some other older games having problems too, like Age Of Empires 2 and SWAT 3.

Thankfully, the Compatibility Toolkit works for Windows 8.

Also, not having a Start button is really annoying at first but I've gotten used to that.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
I think I have been lucky I have had no compatibility problems so far..

But when I upgraded to windows 8.1 then my AMD graphic card drivers did not work.. but there exist a workaround...

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »
To be fair, if you're not trying to use any pre-XP programs, you probably won't have many compatibility issues with Windows 8. However, it is still an nuisance for someone like me who does play older PC games, especially since Vista and 7 didn't have compatibility issues to that degree.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
yes I tried to install GTA 2 on windows 8 did not work well... I Guess games in particular is a problem