Author Topic: windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2  (Read 1627 times)

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 07:13:35 AM »
Just throwing in my 2 cents regarding the upgrade from Win7 to Win8:

I can confirm it does indeed run faster/smoother on the same system. Whereas I used to hibernate instead of completely shutting down in Win7, I don't bother anymore because it's just as fast to boot clean. My audio tools (FLStudio and Audition) and associated VSTs run without issue. I was able to lower my latency a bit, and the random crackling I had on my FA-101 is gone in Win8.

If someone refuses to use Win8 just because of Metro, they're missing out. Yes, it's different, but it's a solid OS.

Expecting old games to run on it? Well ok, obviously it's not perfect. ;)
For those of us who play more modern games, they run without issue for me.

Regarding the 8.2 update, I'm really curious to see how far they go to bring that the original start menu. I'd be very surprised to see it operate exactly as Win7.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: windows start menu will be back in windows 8.2
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
I believe Windows 8 will run faster than Windows 7 (at least a little bit faster) on any machine that supports Windows 8.

I also think the annoyances of the Windows 8 interface (Metro primarily) can be almost completely mitigated with a free add-on like Classic Shell.

Having said that, if any new operating system doesn't support your software or your hardware, you should wait to install it.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions