Author Topic: Looking for a good ambient radio station with good quality/bitrate  (Read 509 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I like to listen to ambient at work, I like Drone zone with soma.fm but but the problem is that bit rate is too low..
Is there any ambient channels with better sound quality ?

I bring my DT1350 headphones and Go Vibe V7 headphone amp to work.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Looking for a good ambient radio station with good quality/bitrate
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Streaming radio is generally 128kb for MP3 and 96kb (thereabouts) for AAC. It's very rare to find stations that broadcast at 160 or 192, let alone 320. You're just going to have to bring your CDs and FLACs to work.  ;)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »
Streaming radio is generally 128kb for MP3 and 96kb (thereabouts) for AAC. It's very rare to find stations that broadcast at 160 or 192, let alone 320. You're just going to have to bring your CDs and FLACs to work.  ;)

That is sad to hear, I would wish for mvbr, but maybe that is not even possible for mp3 streaming.
Drone Zone uses the AAC format.  I use atleast asio4all and xmplay with asio it makes it sound better for sure.

I guess I will have to take a usb stick with me to work with all Thom Brennan albums (it is good music for work).
I have a 64 GB usb stick.

That is sad to hear, I would wish for mvbr, but maybe that is not even possible for mp3 streaming.
Drone Zone uses the AAC format.  I use atleast asio4all and xmplay with asio it makes it sound better for sure.

I guess I will have to take a usb stick with me to work with all Thom Brennan albums (it is good music for work).
I have a 64 GB usb stick.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
Western Digital makes (not pocket sized) small 1T USB3 hard drives which you could fill up and leave at work.
They're fantastic for throwing in your suitcase when you go to work on music at someone else's studio too.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:25:39 AM »
Western Digital makes (not pocket sized) small 1T USB3 hard drives which you could fill up and leave at work.
They're fantastic for throwing in your suitcase when you go to work on music at someone else's studio too.

Well I do not trust keeping my hdd at work unfortunately, and hdds are not made for too much moving all the time..they will eventually fail...well..my 64 GB flash memory will be ok...for a while... but I would really really prefer a internet radio..I might just stick with the soma fm still cause I will probably only be able to handle the hassel one time to fill the memory.  I do not have as much big music libary on the computer as I had before unfortunately.  Cause I am trying to have as small amount of hdds as possible since their sound makes my brain bleed I hate it.. I live in a small apartment too so you never get free from it.