Author Topic: Putting my music out there for the first time...  (Read 347 times)

watershed

• View Profile
Putting my music out there for the first time...
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »
Hello! My name is Steven, and I create electronic ambient soundscapes as a hobby. I play bass guitar(40 years) and am a sound engineer for a "living". Writing electronic music is something I've been doing since the 90's, and now I've found a direction to go in, artistically.
Please take a listen to my work at https://soundcloud.com/watershed-1
I'm open to all comments and advice.
I create under the name "watershed".

Thanks!

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Putting my music out there for the first time...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
I liked A New Noise. I listened to a few of the other more recent tracks and I felt like some of the sounds you used were a bit clichéd, like on Progression 1 & 2. It just felt like a typical opening theme to a movie with those space sounds. Also, you could have had a fuller range of frequencies on End Of The World. Some low end would have helped on that track especially.

Since you're a bassist, you could incorporate that instrument into your ambient music.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Putting my music out there for the first time...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
I skipped around a bit, but one thing I noticed is that you tend to favor drones that occupy most of the soundspace.  I would try to dial some of those drones back into the mix so that other voices can poke out a little more clearly.  The high end seems a bit harsh in places.  Was most of this recorded as a realtime improv?  I would also vary the effects settings for each sound you introduce (eg, don't pan all of the echoed sounds from left to right), so that each one sits in a different part of the mix.  Some of the fatter drones seem a little preset-ish; I would try to dial down the LFO-wooshing, but that's just my stylistic preference.

Good luck.

Forrest