OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Everything and Nothing

The new age music 'scene' ?

(1/3) > >>

petekelly:
Is there such a thing ? I was looking at this site today:
http://www.newagemusic.info/

I'm not getting into the merits / demerits of the music as such, just that it seems a whole lot more commercially oriented than ambient. There's some artists who crossover from the ambient side of things, but they aren't as 'hardcore' (an oxymoron here ?) as some of the big name new age artists I've come across. I'm not being judgmental about that, I'm just curious. My only dalliance with the 'scene' was trying to push the 2004 '8 Shades of Sound'  album I produced, but I gave up on that as I wasn't too keen on sending hundreds of copies of the CD to the States (where all the radio stations were based) I'm curious if things are still the same ?

I'm sure some people here know much more about this side of things - Bill B, Jeff P et al 

Don't these artists have bad days and want to release some fiercely abrasive dark ambience ? :)

Castleview:
The whole new age movement in general is pretty much dead compared to what it was in the 80's and 90's, so I imagine that the new age music market isn't much better off, particularly in the States.

Bill Binkelman:

--- Quote from: petekelly on December 16, 2013, 12:49:02 PM ---Is there such a thing ? I was looking at this site today:
http://www.newagemusic.info/

I'm not getting into the merits / demerits of the music as such, just that it seems a whole lot more commercially oriented than ambient. There's some artists who crossover from the ambient side of things, but they aren't as 'hardcore' (an oxymoron here ?) as some of the big name new age artists I've come across. I'm not being judgmental about that, I'm just curious. My only dalliance with the 'scene' was trying to push the 2004 '8 Shades of Sound'  album I produced, but I gave up on that as I wasn't too keen on sending hundreds of copies of the CD to the States (where all the radio stations were based) I'm curious if things are still the same ?

I'm sure some people here know much more about this side of things - Bill B, Jeff P et al 

Don't these artists have bad days and want to release some fiercely abrasive dark ambience ? :)

--- End quote ---

Do you really want my opinion on this? Remember that I now review for a "new age" magazine. Plus, as many know, I am a HUGE fan of the genre as well. Is this a Pandora's box you really want to open? I am asking that sincerely before I write a book in answer to your post. I'll never apologize for my love of new age music...and I will also always opine that the line between "some" ambient and some new age music is mighty thin.

petekelly:
Any opinions appreciated Bill,

As I said, the purpose of the post was not to disparage the genre, just to contrast it with the ambient scene. The new age people seem to be far more savvy in terms of marketing and the like.

Cheers 'Castleview', that's the kind of thing I was wondering about.

Altus:
I would think new age as a genre is an easier sell compared to ambient. Musically speaking, it's more accessible to a broader audience, versus a drone where "nothing happens" for an hour.

Edit: I should mention I have no problems with a good drone.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version