Author Topic: The new age music 'scene' ?  (Read 833 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
The new age music 'scene' ?
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
Is there such a thing ? I was looking at this site today:
http://www.newagemusic.info/

I'm not getting into the merits / demerits of the music as such, just that it seems a whole lot more commercially oriented than ambient. There's some artists who crossover from the ambient side of things, but they aren't as 'hardcore' (an oxymoron here ?) as some of the big name new age artists I've come across. I'm not being judgmental about that, I'm just curious. My only dalliance with the 'scene' was trying to push the 2004 '8 Shades of Sound'  album I produced, but I gave up on that as I wasn't too keen on sending hundreds of copies of the CD to the States (where all the radio stations were based) I'm curious if things are still the same ?

I'm sure some people here know much more about this side of things - Bill B, Jeff P et al 

Don't these artists have bad days and want to release some fiercely abrasive dark ambience ? :)

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: The new age music 'scene' ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »
The whole new age movement in general is pretty much dead compared to what it was in the 80's and 90's, so I imagine that the new age music market isn't much better off, particularly in the States.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:34:13 AM »
Is there such a thing ? I was looking at this site today:
http://www.newagemusic.info/

I'm not getting into the merits / demerits of the music as such, just that it seems a whole lot more commercially oriented than ambient. There's some artists who crossover from the ambient side of things, but they aren't as 'hardcore' (an oxymoron here ?) as some of the big name new age artists I've come across. I'm not being judgmental about that, I'm just curious. My only dalliance with the 'scene' was trying to push the 2004 '8 Shades of Sound'  album I produced, but I gave up on that as I wasn't too keen on sending hundreds of copies of the CD to the States (where all the radio stations were based) I'm curious if things are still the same ?

I'm sure some people here know much more about this side of things - Bill B, Jeff P et al 

Don't these artists have bad days and want to release some fiercely abrasive dark ambience ? :)

Do you really want my opinion on this? Remember that I now review for a "new age" magazine. Plus, as many know, I am a HUGE fan of the genre as well. Is this a Pandora's box you really want to open? I am asking that sincerely before I write a book in answer to your post. I'll never apologize for my love of new age music...and I will also always opine that the line between "some" ambient and some new age music is mighty thin.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »
Any opinions appreciated Bill,

As I said, the purpose of the post was not to disparage the genre, just to contrast it with the ambient scene. The new age people seem to be far more savvy in terms of marketing and the like.

Cheers 'Castleview', that's the kind of thing I was wondering about.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
I would think new age as a genre is an easier sell compared to ambient. Musically speaking, it's more accessible to a broader audience, versus a drone where "nothing happens" for an hour.

Edit: I should mention I have no problems with a good drone.  8)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
Any topic that opens Bill's Box I'm all for...

I like to think of Ambient as a large umbrella term like Jazz, Rock and New Age... however... I think most people might consider Ambient a sub-set of New Age.   (although others will think of Ambient as a subset of Dark and Speed Metal players wanting to slow things down... but that's...  ummm ... another topic?  Maybe...)

Anyway...  New Age was huge.  Ambient was NEVER HUGE.    All of our "heroes" of Ambient Past were stocked in the New Age bins along with those giants of New Age.   

I there's a lot of cross polinization between the genres...  but then I like Ambient with a bit of Funk and Dub and Techno... so who am I?

Is there a scene?  Like all music scenes - they're smaller commercially and all the artists are getting to know each other.   

Unless we're talking about Wreckin' Ball Cyrus... she's much bigger than all of us combined (and has a deeper voice than I do.)

John
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
Moby is huge (not in my book though !), other ambient artists are pretty big too - Basinski etc..
I thought other artists here may be curious about the marketing ploys the new age people are up to. For sure, it's a more commercial form of music.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
They were pretty savy with the marketing but like I said before, the demand just isn't there like it used to be. There was a legitimate new age subculture of sorts that existed at some point in the U.S., especially in California, but I think it's really fragmented at this point at best. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, it was an easier market to target and tap into. That's why Hearts Of Space was so successful at its peak.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 06:34:26 AM »
A book Bill....please a book.  :)

About the time I started Listening to Eno & Budd in the 1980's I was also getting into the Windham Hill release such as George Winston.  Winston is feel good music, easily marketed, and I think was very successful.  Eno & Budd's work is certainly feel good to me but I sense that its depressing to many.  I once told someone I was into Eno and ambient music and they said its music to make you commit suicide....how do you respond to that.  I think it does express the difference if a little extremely.

New Age Music has always had geographical hotspot...Sedona, Arizona is one that comes to mind....there are many others . I can not say the same for Ambient and Ambient music in my mind has been the avant garde to New Age. You cant market the avant garde...it cant be commercialized, well perhaps with one exception and that is film music.

Just a few early morning rambling thoughts....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:36:42 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »
Quote from: Julio Di Benedetto
.  I once told someone I was into Eno and ambient music and they said its music to make you commit suicide....how do you respond to that.

Is he/she still alive?

Greetings,
Tomas

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
I think so because he survived the first listening or how would he know..... hopefully he did not attempt another session  ;D

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:16:15 AM »
New Age as a scene seems pretty strong in the Yoga and Massage/Spa industry.  If there is at all still a "scene", that is one of the strongest contributors. 

Many musicians tend to get more minimal and "ambient" in their sound with each successive release.  Patrick O'hearn is such an example.  The latest albums by Bluetech and Carbon Based Lifeforms are what I would call strictly ambient when in the past their music was downtempo/dub and very rhythmic.  Many other new age artists take their music to a more ambient vibe. 

I can't think of too many who went in the opposite direction, from a more minimal sound to new age (or even to a more active, melodic sound)- maybe Craig Padilla of late (that sellout  ;) ).  Is the general trend toward less and, while not enjoying the credit, do most roads eventually lead to ambient?