Author Topic: Digital Compact Camera - any advice?  (Read 654 times)

El culto

• View Profile
Digital Compact Camera - any advice?
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Hi there,

wanting to purchase a new compact digital camera which can suite into my jacket pocket!

Please don´t start with any SLR recommendations here as i´m not interested into that.

In my radar are:

:: Canon S100/110/120

:: Sony Rx100 (Mark II)

:: Panasonic LX7

:: Olympus XZ-2

High ISO isn´t an important issue for me….i´m looking more for color fidelity, fast and precise AF plus good Macro options….also manual mode should be available!

Is anyone using one of these? Any experiences? Any samples to share? Any other suggestions?

Greetings,
Tomas
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:25:33 AM by El culto »

El culto

• View Profile
Re: Digital Compact Camera - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »
Have to add that i own the Sony Rx 100 (Mark I) but i´m not really happy about the well known green cast of Sony cameras.

Also, Video isn´t important for me either!

Cheers,
Tomas

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:11:01 AM »
Tomas I had a Canon Sure Shot not too long ago and it delivered great images, function and quality so I have always been a canon fan.  Dont know the models you mention.

Also something important that would make me consider the Panasonic is that it uses a Leica lens.....the best glass there is!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
If you really want something compact but without compromise

you might consider, it comes in different sizes.  It will easily wit in your jacket
It works for most phones I think.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:01:43 AM by Immersion »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
Tomas,
I asked this question to a photographer friend who has owned many, many cameras. He says that they have all been compromises in the past as they used small sensors, but with the use of large sensors in compacts, things are improving. He suggested having a look at the Ricoh GR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr

I have a Sony HX5 as a compact, it's not great quality, but it's small enough to carry around and is pretty responsive. I look at some of the shots in details and they are poor at 100% pixel-peeping magnification, but I don't know how important that is, unless you're making large prints. I use this camera as my Sony R1 which has a zeiss T series lens and is fantastic, but as it is big and very slow in operation, I don't take it out. I don't recommend the HX5, but the (compact) camera in the pocket is better than the one at home !

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
Sony QX10 demo video da Telefonino.net

Also remember youtube quality is not the best but you can choose 1080p but there is still compression going on...

worth mentioning about the sony QX10 G.  Is that you you do do not need to have it attached to the phone as in the picture, you can actually hold in your hand,  the lens is streaming the content wireless through wifi.

it has 10x optical zoom which is really good.

oh and damn I forgot to mention the samsung smart camera with 21 X OPTICAL zoom
It is a compact camera when you the lens fully in.

I have tried it and the zoom is just incredible..

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
Hey guys,

thanks a lot for your feedback!

@Julio: I tested serveral Canon cams and generally speaking i do like the quality…what puts me a bit off is the extremely "warm" (too much yellow) colors of them. Also it seems, that for jpg´s they use quite a heavy processing (adding a lot of contrast) and thats hard to get rid of later and i really won´t to bother with RAW.

@Immersion: I tested this and some other Samsung camera´s and really have a problem with the image quality. They are great to use for quick results and FB posts but it really seems like Samsung is better in other technologies than cameras.

@Pete: Thanks a lot for the detailed info! I have a Sony HX20 as a zoom camera and i do like it, but as you said image quality is not more than average. I use it when i´m on holiday and for that purpose it does shot good results. Thanks for the Ricoh tip…funny, just looked at my amazon account and realized it´s in my saved observing list  :) Shame it does´t have at last a small optical zoom and the macro option isn´t very advanced   :( I may give it a try and thanks amazon it´s easy to send it back if it´s not convincing.

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
Hey guys,

thanks a lot for your feedback!

@Julio: I tested serveral Canon cams and generally speaking i do like the quality…what puts me a bit off is the extremely "warm" (too much yellow) colors of them. Also it seems, that for jpg´s they use quite a heavy processing (adding a lot of contrast) and thats hard to get rid of later and i really won´t to bother with RAW.

@Immersion: I tested this and some other Samsung camera´s and really have a problem with the image quality. They are great to use for quick results and FB posts but it really seems like Samsung is better in other technologies than cameras.

@Pete: Thanks a lot for the detailed info! I have a Sony HX20 as a zoom camera and i do like it, but as you said image quality is not more than average. I use it when i´m on holiday and for that purpose it does shot good results. Thanks for the Ricoh tip…funny, just looked at my amazon account and realized it´s in my saved observing list  :) Shame it does´t have at last a small optical zoom and the macro option isn´t very advanced   :( I may give it a try and thanks amazon it´s easy to send it back if it´s not convincing.

Greetings,
Tomas

I think samsung is good if you like saturated colors that just looks good, and no need for photoshop etc..
Well the 21x zoom is still really good though for being a compact camera..

To be honest you are on your own I have no deeper knowledge, cause there is simply too much on the market..
But you are desire for a compact camera definitely makes the choices be little less.