Author Topic: The Buchla Music Easel Ships  (Read 1310 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
The Buchla Music Easel Ships
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
I think this is very exciting.....an almost identical recreation of the 1973 original Easel available for order. This is a truly a great time for electronic synthesis, analog or digital

CHARLES COHEN AT THE BUCHLA MUSIC EASEL on Vimeo

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: The Buchla Music Easel Ships
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
Wow.  Almost looks more to me like a Serge than a Buchla.  I interviewed Morton Subotnick in the 70s and the Buchla he was using then looked more metallic and darker than this (though I remember him being credited on his albums as playing an Electronic Music Box, so I'm now confused).

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
Hi Forrest.....it does indeed look Serge like. Cant say regarding Subotnick, though I thought he used a complete (whatever that means) Buchla 200 on compositions like "Silver apples of the moon"

here is an overview of the system.

Buchla Music Easel Quick Start & Overview

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
Excellent.
This is the 'toy' Santa should bring us for Christmas !
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
Too true Anthony....

xouoxno

• View Profile
    • http://biink.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
Wow, they're making it again!

One of the years my music was performed at the Trenton Avant Gard Festival (1995-97), Charles Cohen was playing one of these in the "beer garden". Pretty cool box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cohen

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:18:21 AM »
I posted this last week on facebook, I was up at Noise Bug and this guy came in to pick up his brand new Music Easel, one of the first the store has recieved. Here are a couple pictures I took of it as he was opening it up for the first time:

They go for about $3800, you have to put 2 grand up front, non refundable deposit to get one.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 01:26:10 AM »
Wow.  Almost looks more to me like a Serge than a Buchla.  I interviewed Morton Subotnick in the 70s and the Buchla he was using then looked more metallic and darker than this (though I remember him being credited on his albums as playing an Electronic Music Box, so I'm now confused).

I'm not an expert on the Buchla stuff, but from my understanding the Electronic Music Box was Don's 200 system while it was being sold through CBS. This box we are talking about here was the portable performance version call the Music Easel, basically his version of the Mini Moog. I think its based on three different 200 modules. I think Mort has probably played just about everything Don has made, he now uses a Buchla 200e in live performance.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »
I'm not an expert on the Buchla stuff, but from my understanding the Electronic Music Box was Don's 200 system while it was being sold through CBS. This box we are talking about here was the portable performance version call the Music Easel, basically his version of the Mini Moog. I think its based on three different 200 modules.

Thanks, that's explains it.  Good to see that Subotnick is still active.  His "Touch," "Silver Apples of the Moon," "4 Butterflies" and "Until Spring" releases were favorites of mine in the 70s.  I also remember seeing a metallic Buchla synth prototype at the Exploratorium when I went to see an Eno installation there in the early 90s.

In googling suitcase synthesizers on Google, I came across this interesting page of DIY analog synths from Brazil:

www.recosynth.com

The "Phonedrone" synth, which uses a telephone dial from a rotary phone, looks especially fun:

http://www.recosynth.com/?p=297

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
Forrest, that Phone Drone synth is out there....love it.