Author Topic: The Seaman and the Tattered Sail : Light Folds  (Read 1116 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
The Seaman and the Tattered Sail : Light Folds
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
If anyone is interested, this whole set is now available as a download purchase from Bandcamp. 60 tracks of ambient curios. Top five album of the year for me.
http://facture.bandcamp.com/album/light-folds-2

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

El culto

• View Profile
Re: The Seaman and the Tattered Sail : Light Folds
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:37:58 PM »
Just spend some times with this album.

IMO it´s just averange…though, I do understand why you like it as it has quite a lot of similarities to your music…no doubt!  :) You may be a bit biased as you like the sea so much too  ;D

My issues:

::  sound quality is really on the border (it´s not really balanced mixed)
:: a lot of fragments "jumping around" in almost each track but nothing really finishes and completes a theme (for instance track 2 + 4) - in other words: it goes anywhere but nowhere you can "hold on" or remember.
:: overuse of this glitchy sounds combined with the general "vinyl like" sounding

Just my 2 cents….but as usual…opinions are like assholes…anybody has one  ;D

Tomas

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
Those qualities are some of the things that I really appreciate about the album!  One of Tattersall's strengths, in my opinion, is his ability to make a recording feel modern, yet sound as if he just pulled it out of a closet where it has been stored for three decades.  :)

Nonetheless, I'm glad you chimed in with a different take on the release. I like to read contrasting opinions on albums--doing so gives me more to think about as a fan and listener.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
What a nice discussion. Thanks! (absolutely sincere.)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
I'm really enjoying this set, though it takes a while to assimilate so much music. El Culto mentions the fact that the music "jumps around" and never really completes a theme--  I would agree, but that very quality is what makes it so special, spontaneous and fresh to me. Great stuff!  --but having said that, I prefer (slightly)the last 3 Boats albums- "Ballads Of The Darkroom", "Ballad Of The Eagle", and "Ballads Of The Research Department".

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
I actually think the style is dead consistent and not jumping around at all. And, as a comment to El Culto, I don't think it sounds like my music ... though I wish it did.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans