Author Topic: 3 Song Christmas EP (non ambient) Free  (Read 805 times)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
3 Song Christmas EP (non ambient) Free
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
Hey friends, I know we have lots of folks here with different faiths, backgrounds and such, and also this board usually centers around ambient music, but at my studio recently I recorded a 3 song Christmas EP for a local church (where I also happen to be the Technical Director). Two songs are traditional Christmas songs, and one was an original.

The songs are all done in an indie rock style, and there was no samples, soft synths, beat detective or sample replacement. Just lots of vibey guitars, drums, string trio and such.

I play percussion and sing background on a few of them as well as being the recording engineer and co-producer.

Anyway, the EP is free on band camp and is even available as a 24/96 FLAC download for the hi-fi freaks  ;D

http://gracechurchmusic.bandcamp.com/album/the-son-of-glory

Tis the season, and now back to your regularly scheduled space program.
PV
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Poaalpina

• View Profile
Re: 3 Song Christmas EP (non ambient) Free
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »
Thank you Paul! I always wanted listen how you drumming. I know from Discogs you are the drummer for the Rick Santiago Jazztet and also plays percussion with the Grace Church worship band.
Ambient DNA

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
Great timing! I was looking for some non-cheesy Christmas music to play for the kids!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »
Thank you Paul! I always wanted listen how you drumming. I know from Discogs you are the drummer for the Rick Santiago Jazztet and also plays percussion with the Grace Church worship band.

Thanks,

Wow I should change that  :D Its been years since I played with Rick and all I have is a bootleg recording of us ha ha!

I should note that I only play drums on the original song, the rest are someone else. Interestingly though the orchestral toms and cymbals and such that I played on that track I am going to re-purpose into an upcoming tribal album because when the strings and guitars are stripped away and some reverb added, its very much a cool percussive soundscape.

"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
Really great Paul....takes me back to when I was about 10yrs old or so and I would bellow my lungs(I cant sing) out to Come oh ye and Hark the herald at this time of the year, though it was just an organ and no such production as you have given it.

Interesting you sent it out to Sadler to master....a great engineer...did you feel to close to it to do it yourself.

Thanks so much!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 09:10:44 PM »
Really great Paul....takes me back to when I was about 10yrs old or so and I would bellow my lungs(I cant sing) out to Come oh ye and Hark the herald at this time of the year, though it was just an organ and no such production as you have given it.

Interesting you sent it out to Sadler to master....a great engineer...did you feel to close to it to do it yourself.

Thanks so much!

Thank you Julio!

As to mastering I am one of those people who believes that its rarely a good idea to master music that you have recorded or mixed.  I will do it from time to time with my own ambient stuff, but when it comes to client work like this christmas project especially in the rock/pop/jazz/country realm I will always encourage the client to hire a mastering engineer, which I really am not.

As to Trevor Sadler, I have a 10 year working relationship with him and really trust his ears and gear, although I also have used Robert Rich and think he does a stellar job as well, and last year I had a client who had an album that I recorded hire Howie Weinberg master the project so that is one of the highlights of my recording engineer life.

Paul

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Nice job with the production.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Rebirth, available now!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
Thanks

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
Yes Paul I do agree with you about mastering your on music, even if you have all that is need to do the job beyond great ears...few have the right acoustic rooms to really hear.

Funny you mention Howie Weinberg....I was watching an Antelope converter discussion with him....funny guy, quite a character.  Stoked for you.  What was the name of the client if you dont mind revealing.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »