Author Topic: Steve Roach "Spiral Meditations" and "At The Edge Of Everything" - 2013  (Read 3057 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Steve Roach "Spiral Meditations" and "At The Edge Of Everything" - 2013
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
"Metaphysical experiences!"

Much better.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:41 AM »
I find 'The Magnificent Void' is my choice of Steve's releases for these sort of experiences

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »
I find 'The Magnificent Void' is my choice of Steve's releases for these sort of experiences

The ending sound Altus is among is absolute best..if not the best.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 05:46:03 AM »
I can understand where people are coming from on the newer Steve Roach releases, but 'Spiral Meditations' actually sounds pretty vibrant and fresh to my ears (from the samples at least.) I'm purchasing it.

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 06:20:41 AM »
Here we have top-quality Berlin-school electronics composed in unique Roach-style. Spacey and airy sound, perfect selection of hypnotic sequences and harmonic ambient accompaniment, and not a trace of trite parts… Being not that sharp and edgey but still dynamic, music-wise «Spiral Meditations» correspond their title really well. Awesome release!

P.S. And what a boundless beauty and warm cosy atmosphere opens to the listener with the first track «Consumed By Sunlight».. Such a wonderful miracle! - 121
Ambient DNA

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
To me the cosmic consciousness means one is aware of the eternal past and infinite future simultaneously.   Galaxies, planets, our bodies, cells--all part of one big interconnected universe. 

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
Just downloaded and had a quick listen to 'At The Edge Of Everything'. It's actually fantastic. I am glad to hear more of this fierce 'darkness' or 'otherness' in a new release of his (well...it is a concert from many years ago. But perhaps that kind of weird energy will show up again in a new release!) 

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
To me the cosmic consciousness means one is aware of the eternal past and infinite future simultaneously.   Galaxies, planets, our bodies, cells--all part of one big interconnected universe.

I took a very deep breath when I read this....pranayama, the universal breath.  Beautifully put drone on. 

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
I did listen to "Spiral Meditations" today, what can I say, it sounded very mediocre to me...
The sound quality is not good, no depth, everything is just average, no magic...

I am still convinced it sounds good in steves studio, but it is to me clear he have made dramatic changes in is signal path...all sounds so much cheaper now a lot of the later releases...sad to hear...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:33:59 AM by Immersion »

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
I did listen to "Spiral Meditations" today, what can I say, it sounded very mediocre to me...
The sound quality is not good, no depth, everything is just average, no magic...

I am still convinced it sounds good in steves studio, but it is to me clear he have made dramatic changes in is signal path...all sounds so much cheaper now a lot of the later releases...sad to hear...

Sorry, guys, but to me, works such as "Back To Life", "Tales From The Ultra Tribe", "Soul Tones" or "Future Flows" are no short of Steve's many milestones mentioned in above posts. Maybe these works are not that catchy at the "first listen", but to me, each new deep listening session provides a truly immersing and rewarding listening experience. "Back To Life" is definitely an ultimate milestone, on "Tales From The Ultra Tribe" Steve & Byron have pushed the limits again, "Future Flows", "Nightbloom", "The Road Eternal" or "Sigh Of Ages" are all masterpieces. Haven't received "Spiral Meditations" CD yet, but I simply can't imagine no magic, no depth on it... I have read several reviews during the last few years sending Steve out of the desert to other parts of North America, to the Middle East and so on to search for new inspiration, but I will never agree with all these words. I still see Steve at the top of his creative craft always exploring new grounds, he was born to do this and he does it constantly!!!

Richard  ;)

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 02:59:04 AM »

Sorry, guys, but to me, works such as "Back To Life", "Tales From The Ultra Tribe", "Soul Tones" or "Future Flows" are no short of Steve's many milestones mentioned in above posts. Maybe these works are not that catchy at the "first listen", but to me, each new deep listening session provides a truly immersing and rewarding listening experience. "Back To Life" is definitely an ultimate milestone, on "Tales From The Ultra Tribe" Steve & Byron have pushed the limits again, "Future Flows", "Nightbloom", "The Road Eternal" or "Sigh Of Ages" are all masterpieces. Haven't received "Spiral Meditations" CD yet, but I simply can't imagine no magic, no depth on it... I have read several reviews during the last few years sending Steve out of the desert to other parts of North America, to the Middle East and so on to search for new inspiration, but I will never agree with all these words. I still see Steve at the top of his creative craft always exploring new grounds, he was born to do this and he does it constantly!!!

Richard  ;)

I agree, there's still a good overall quality in his output, not everyone will like everything, but I find at least two Steve Roach releases for each of the last years are very much worth it.

2013: Spiral Meditations (judging by the samples I'll probably love it), Live Transmission, (Live at Vortex Dome Immersion!)
2012: Soul Tones, Back to Life
2011: (Journey of One), The Road Eternal, The Desert Inbetween
2010: Sigh of Ages, Dream Tracker
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:00:37 AM by DeepR »