Author Topic: My review of "Memories In Widescreen" CD by 36  (Read 820 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Memories In Widescreen" CD by 36
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »

36 "Memories In Widescreen" CD

Dennis Huddleston, the sole protagonist behind 36 project, is undoubtedly one of the rising stars on the drone ambient scene. After highly acclaimed "Lithea" album from March 2012, which was already re-issued several times during 2012 and 2013 (as a double LP and twice as a CD), Dennis has decided to satisfy all lovers of silver discs and released his sold out album "Memories In Widescreen" on CD format. It came to light during May 2013 featuring two extra tracks (previously digital-exclusive bonus pieces), while the original album was released as a double 12" picture vinyl in November 2010. As a huge CD collector, I couldn't be more happy with this Dennis' decision. More especially, if packaged in beautifully designed and documented 6-panel matte digipak. Yes, the whole artwork with stunning archive photos perfectly interacts with album's title, excellent work!!!

The opening piece, "Before Time", unfolds with utterly evocative epic dronescapes that can be only 36, all wrapped by the hummed sounds of ocean waves touching the shoreline. Yes, this signature sound pours all over this beautifully nostalgic sonic document. The album title exactly captures the whole essence of these warmhearted memories. The longest track, 9-minute "After Time", only confirms above lines with its stunningly visualizing atmospheres, which are masterfully spiced with hauntingly intense cascades. This is 36 at his most profound dronescaping, to me a definite Hall of Famer track!!! 'Drifta" is by far more monochromatic with some distant voices hanging above and emerging foreboding breaths and noises. Gates to enchantingly mindscaping territories are unlocked!!! "Drowning" returns to wealthily intensier, hissy path leading to mysteriously subterrestrial realms, reinforced by assorted organic glitches, rumbles and voice fragments. Magnificently submerging!!! "Disappear" continuously drifts into spiraling infinity, while recurrent piano note elatedly brightens the atmosphere, which slowly grows in volume. 5 minutes in length, but I could listen to this one over and over, a truly gorgeous composition!!! Shorter, glitchy transitional piece "The Mirror" holds it strongly captivating essence, where shimmering moments of long forgotten memories awake. "Lucid" drifts on monochromatic waves of amply organic and mesmerizingly mindscaping ambience. The title track, "Memories In Widescreen", as its name suggests, attracts with its hauntingly intense drone scenario, which slowly expands into deeply imaginative and intimate terrains. Highly delightful journey!!! "Melt" blends outstandingly evocative blankets with harsher, tumultuous deluges while the following cut, "Slide", shifts into more serene paths, where the leading drone is embellished on the back with some euphoric xylophone-like sounds, adding a bit of exotic fragrance. 7-minute "Vesl" masterfully explores majestically flatlined drone horizon. "Revert Time" swirls inside of magnificently hypnotic circles while dreamy female chants ride atop, painting wonderfully moody atmosphere hazed by mist. "It's You (It's Me)" is as much mesmerizing as the previous track and it closes this beautifully expressive album with quickly spiraling dronewalls, intermingling with vaporous female voices. Again precisely wrapped by movingly immersing nostalgia. A glorious ending!!!

As I haven't heard the original double LP edition, this CD version is to me another huge revelation that moves side by side with the groundbreaking "Lithea" album. All I can do is to repeat again, bravissimo, Dennis!!! This ultra talented UK based artist plays his own big drone league. And don't miss 36's latest "Shadow Play" album released during July 2013, but that's next story...

Richard Gürtler (Dec 29, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: My review of "Memories In Widescreen" CD by 36
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
Great review, Richard. This is a truly excellent album.

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Memories In Widescreen" CD by 36
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
Yeah, I love it too, much better album than Shadowplay.