OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Everything and Nothing

Help me find good cider

(1/3) > >>

mgriffin:
I enjoy a good hard cider, but it seems the recent boom in popularity of cider has resulted in more "candy" ciders -- light and very sweet, with more in common with a Zima or a Bartles & James wine cooler than the dark, dry cider I enjoy.

Some of the craft breweries are offering cider now, but I'm leery of proceeding without recommendations. I don't want to spend $7 on a bottle of cider only to find it's sweet "alco-pop..."

Any recommendations?

dreamin4ever:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on December 31, 2013, 12:43:57 PM ---I enjoy a good hard cider, but it seems the recent boom in popularity of cider has resulted in more "candy" ciders -- light and very sweet, with more in common with a Zima or a Bartles & James wine cooler than the dark, dry cider I enjoy.

Some of the craft breweries are offering cider now, but I'm leery of proceeding without recommendations. I don't want to spend $7 on a bottle of cider only to find it's sweet "alco-pop..."

Any recommendations?

--- End quote ---

You try any of Julian's Cider?

http://julianhardcider.biz/wp-content/plugins/age-verification/age-verification.php?redirect_to=http://julianhardcider.biz%2F

I'm not into cider or sour beers. I prefer IPA's and DIPA's, Belgian's and Stouts. I also homebrew.

mgriffin:
I haven't tried that one, but I'm open to the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Generally I'm not a huge cider fan, compared to my interest in craft beer and bourbon and Scotch, but sometimes I crave a good, dark, earthy cider. I figure there are so many clever folk visiting this forum, somebody will have ideas.

Ekstasis:

From a well known swedish brew.. you can get 4% and up to 7% too..have not tasted the strongest one..
Very nice to drink ice cold.

mgriffin:
Thanks, Immersion. I'm not sure I've seen that here, but I'll look for it.

I posted the same question on Facebook and received many quick replies. This leads me to believe my Facebook friends are more accomplished alcoholics than my Hypnos Forum friends. ;)

Recommendations I received there include Ace Joker and Woodchuck.

Tonight I'm sampling Spire Dark & Dry draft cider. It's not quite as dry as the name implies, but better than most I've tried. Still a little "light" for my tastes. Not quite cider nirvana.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version