Author Topic: What Mediaplayer do you use on your PC/MAC to play music ?  (Read 3537 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
What Mediaplayer do you use on your PC/MAC to play music ?
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »
I wonder what media players do people use ?
I guess a lot of people use Itunes.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: What Mediaplayer do you use on your PC/MAC to play music ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »
I have since 2005 been using a player called Xmplay. While it is main advantage is it has ASIO suppport.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »
I use iTunes on my PC.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
Never use iTunes.
I use Winamp on one, and AIMP on another.
http://www.aimp2.us
Both good.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
Foobar2000 - lean and efficient for me, used to use winamp.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
hmmm, i thjink I am old fashioned and out of date - don't use computers to play music at all.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
Foobar is kind of a nifty stand-alone player, but I use iTunes because I have a huge library with many playlists, and it's very convenient to be able to play it from any computer (Mac or PC or iPad or iPod or iPhone) in the house.

People complain about iTunes messing up their library, but if you keep your library consolidated and don't do anything bizarre with metadata, it works perfectly well. I leave iTunes running on my studio Mac Pro 24/7, and play tracks & playlists from it from all over the place.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
Never use iTunes.
I use Winamp on one, and AIMP on another.
http://www.aimp2.us
Both good.

Winamp cool.. I used that before I did start use xmplay...
Xmplay can also loud winamp plugins..

I think the most important part of a media player is asio support, the difference in audio quality can be really dramatic especially on windows.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
Foobar is kind of a nifty stand-alone player, but I use iTunes because I have a huge library with many playlists, and it's very convenient to be able to play it from any computer (Mac or PC or iPad or iPod or iPhone) in the house.

People complain about iTunes messing up their library, but if you keep your library consolidated and don't do anything bizarre with metadata, it works perfectly well. I leave iTunes running on my studio Mac Pro 24/7, and play tracks & playlists from it from all over the place.

How is the sound quality in itunes.... ?

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
I use iTunes to manage my digital library as it still has the best system for playlists, sorting and such, as well as it works best with my idevices. For hi-rez listening I use Media Center.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
I use iTunes on my Mac to manage my music library(currently 475GB), as I haven't found anything better for the job, especially for managing playlists. Plus, with my Airport Express on the stereo downstairs, and the Remote app on my iPod, I can control my music from anywhere in the house. I am a bit surprised there aren't better music players for the Mac.

On my PC, I still use Winamp and Shoutcast to troll for new music. I've been using Winamp since the '90's and it was responsible for my finding a ton of great ambient music. Nothing better than listening to Tetsu Inoue and watching one of Winamp's waterfall plugins. Sentimental, I know. Oddly, I've never installed iTunes on the PC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:17:44 PM by Antdude »
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »
I have never liked to use a library.  I have always prefered to right click on the folder of an album an play it.

To load my whole music library would very big.. and would use a lot of memory for sure

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »
I think the sound quality of iTunes for playback is very good, but I'm using it to play back 320k MP3 files, so I'm not being as fussy as some people about absolute perfection here.

I understand some people who don't like to have their music in a library format, but it's the only way to have playlists, and I find playlists very convenient. I have iTunes managing a very large library, and it's not slow at all. Of course, the library is so large that it's not extremely convenient to scroll through the complete track listing. I mostly select playlists, or search for artists or albums.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
I think the sound quality of iTunes for playback is very good, but I'm using it to play back 320k MP3 files, so I'm not being as fussy as some people about absolute perfection here.

I understand some people who don't like to have their music in a library format, but it's the only way to have playlists, and I find playlists very convenient. I have iTunes managing a very large library, and it's not slow at all. Of course, the library is so large that it's not extremely convenient to scroll through the complete track listing. I mostly select playlists, or search for artists or albums.

I have pretty much never used a mackingtosh I must admit..  But I think the "direct sound" or whatever the apple sound is called is better on mac.  It wasnt until windows 8 the direct sound did get good in windows... for non-asio audio.
Still asio deliver superior audio quality though

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
I use iTunes on my mac and winamp on my pc. I have to say i don't use the pc much for music, though. Mostly business on the pc. I like itunes for the playlist features and for burning cd's. I'm still old fashioned and don't use any other devices than stereos for listening to music. I will audition music on my computer , but it's just not where I do most of my serious listening. As far as sound quality, iTunes is good enough for me. My hearing is not what it used to be and I can't tell that much of a difference.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »
I guess that's one benefit I find with the Mac, which is that you don't need to worry about things like DirectX drivers (if that's even a real thing any more), ASIO, and so on. The only problem I ever run into is manufacturers failing to update their drivers to compatibility with the latest OSX, for example I've had instances of hard crashing with the old drivers for my Presonus Firestudio on my new iMac. When I disconnect the device and uninstall the drivers, no more freeze-ups. It's apparently a widespread issue with drivers for all Presonus firewire interfaces on OSX 10.9 or Mavericks.

It isn't too inconvenient for me at the moment because my old Mac Pro is sitting at the next desk over, so I just connect the Firestudio to that, and use a different USB audio interface for getting audio out of the iMac.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »
I guess that's one benefit I find with the Mac, which is that you don't need to worry about things like DirectX drivers (if that's even a real thing any more), ASIO, and so on. The only problem I ever run into is manufacturers failing to update their drivers to compatibility with the latest OSX, for example I've had instances of hard crashing with the old drivers for my Presonus Firestudio on my new iMac. When I disconnect the device and uninstall the drivers, no more freeze-ups. It's apparently a widespread issue with drivers for all Presonus firewire interfaces on OSX 10.9 or Mavericks.

It isn't too inconvenient for me at the moment because my old Mac Pro is sitting at the next desk over, so I just connect the Firestudio to that, and use a different USB audio interface for getting audio out of the iMac.

Even on Mac I think the difference in audio quality with asio is still quite big though.. the soun quality on windows 8 is really good, but asio is more professional audio protocol I would recommend to use it at all times when possible.

Personally I would not imagine to listen to music in non asio drivers especially not if oyu use an expensive interface/converter that does not make sense at all. the Asio drivers will open up the full potential.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
VLC - can read almost anything

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
Even on Mac I think the difference in audio quality with asio is still quite big though.. the soun quality on windows 8 is really good, but asio is more professional audio protocol I would recommend to use it at all times when possible.

Personally I would not imagine to listen to music in non asio drivers especially not if oyu use an expensive interface/converter that does not make sense at all. the Asio drivers will open up the full potential.

ASIO is a third-party work-around to bypass the poor-quality (particularly with regard to latency, but also sound quality) audio processing components available in Windows by default. It seems everyone agrees ASIO is necessary to get the best audio performance and quality out of your Windows computer.

Mac OSX uses Core Audio, which is built into the OSX operating system. Professional audio engineers around the world are satisfied with the quality and performance of Core Audio. Any recording, mixing or mastering studio that uses Mac computers is using Core Audio components.

The idea that ASIO is better on Windows default audio setup, therefore ASIO must be better than Mac OS default audio setup, is simply not true. At best, ASIO allows a Windows computer to function at a level equivalent to what Mac OSX Core Audio can do by default. To get the best audio performance out of a Mac, it's not necessary (or recommended) to change Core Audio.