Author Topic: What Mediaplayer do you use on your PC/MAC to play music ?  (Read 2872 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: What Mediaplayer do you use on your PC/MAC to play music ?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
Even on Mac I think the difference in audio quality with asio is still quite big though.. the soun quality on windows 8 is really good, but asio is more professional audio protocol I would recommend to use it at all times when possible.

Personally I would not imagine to listen to music in non asio drivers especially not if oyu use an expensive interface/converter that does not make sense at all. the Asio drivers will open up the full potential.

ASIO is a third-party work-around to bypass the poor-quality (particularly with regard to latency, but also sound quality) audio processing components available in Windows by default. It seems everyone agrees ASIO is necessary to get the best audio performance and quality out of your Windows computer.

Mac OSX uses Core Audio, which is built into the OSX operating system. Professional audio engineers around the world are satisfied with the quality and performance of Core Audio. Any recording, mixing or mastering studio that uses Mac computers is using Core Audio components.

The idea that ASIO is better on Windows default audio setup, therefore ASIO must be better than Mac OS default audio setup, is simply not true. At best, ASIO allows a Windows computer to function at a level equivalent to what Mac OSX Core Audio can do by default. To get the best audio performance out of a Mac, it's not necessary (or recommended) to change Core Audio.

Thanks for the information Mike. For natural reasons cause I am a windows user my whole life my knowledge about the macs are quite limited.  My knowledge about core audio is not the best I admit,  but in your DAW are most MAC users using asio or core audio for high quality gear ?

Anyway the new WASAPI in windows 8 is supposed to have massive improvements I have no idea how it compares with the core audio though...would be interesting to see. But my time to read up on all I want to know is not endless... .anyway I think it is something in the right direction.. Why they have not payed more attention to it before is quite a mystery... maybe they suppose every one is using ASIO anyway...so there is no real need..it must be the reason..

But I do not know it might be some kind of advantage if you do the audio directly from windows without a third party driver like ASIO...
I am not a programmer, (even though I have programmed som C++ and java and visual basic mostly compiling already written code).

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
No problem - I know many Windows users assume the same thing "ASIO means better sound" is true on Mac too. This is one of the things I like about the Mac, though I realize you can still get very good results and do professional work on a Windows computer, with some extra setup or configuration.

This is why it's just simpler for me to use iTunes for everything. It's so easy to stick a CD in the drive and rip it to my preferred format, and maybe drag files to a new playlist. Even though I have a huge library, it's surprising how often I find items I want to listen to, which I have on CD but not in my iTunes library. Just yesterday I ripped several Kraftwerk CDs and Wolfgang Press's Bird Wood Cage.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
No problem - I know many Windows users assume the same thing "ASIO means better sound" is true on Mac too. This is one of the things I like about the Mac, though I realize you can still get very good results and do professional work on a Windows computer, with some extra setup or configuration.

This is why it's just simpler for me to use iTunes for everything. It's so easy to stick a CD in the drive and rip it to my preferred format, and maybe drag files to a new playlist. Even though I have a huge library, it's surprising how often I find items I want to listen to, which I have on CD but not in my iTunes library. Just yesterday I ripped several Kraftwerk CDs and Wolfgang Press's Bird Wood Cage.

Alright good, you mean people use ASIO on mac too for ultimate sound quality ?

I did try my sisters Imac like two years ago, it was hard to not throw up I did really hate simply everything about the OS, the web browser. I think the screen was really good, the original mac mouse that come with the Imac was a big joke compared to my Logitech mouse is way more ergonomic and fast too.   I have hard to see myself move over to a mac in the last 10 years unless there is some radical change in philosophy and design. I admit the IMAC looked quite good on the desk, and all..but at the same time I felt like was in a prison when using the computer.  Yeah same thing with any apple product I feel like I am in a prison, as long as I get that feeling apple is nothing for me.

Microsoft should had paid attention to more professional users,  even though they are a very small group of people compared to the other user base..anyway I think windows is going in the right direction...right now..also the develop phase is faster now..  and windows 8.2 will get the start menu back.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
No, ASIO is just a Windows thing to overcome problems in the built-in Windows audio handling components. ASIO fixes a problem in Windows that doesn't exist in Mac OSX.

It's OK if you hate Mac OS and don't want to use it. Some Mac users treat it like a religion, and want to convince Windows and Linux people that they're WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm not like that. I think people should use the tools that work for them, and help them accomplish the work (or play) that they want to accomplish.

Ten years ago, 97% of people used Windows for everything. Many people hated it, but felt stuck. Now there are many options. You can use Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Droid, iOS. This is much better -- nobody's stuck any more.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
No, ASIO is just a Windows thing to overcome problems in the built-in Windows audio handling components. ASIO fixes a problem in Windows that doesn't exist in Mac OSX.

It's OK if you hate Mac OS and don't want to use it. Some Mac users treat it like a religion, and want to convince Windows and Linux people that they're WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm not like that. I think people should use the tools that work for them, and help them accomplish the work (or play) that they want to accomplish.

Ten years ago, 97% of people used Windows for everything. Many people hated it, but felt stuck. Now there are many options. You can use Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Droid, iOS. This is much better -- nobody's stuck any more.

Apple has still a very small market share.. most people use windows..it is the biggest platform still..
The world would be a better place if Linux was the leading platform.
If all programs I use was available for Linux I would probably move over to it.
With that said I did try a couple of Linux distros this summer. elemtary,ubuntu, mint I was still chocked
how hard Linux was too use still in the year 2013 even for the most simple things such as installing a program you need to google.
Of course this is good from a security stand point that is the whole Idea I get it..it should be hard to install an install package..

With that said though Linux would not be what it is today if for instance all windows programs would had been able to run on all Linux without and emulation software cause linux would have much bigger user base...  I still like the Philosophy of Linux best, and the freedom and modular design but still for a computer "nerd "like me I think linux was hard to figure out, unless you are just happy with install firefox or something you need quite a lot of computer skills and knowledge still in year 2013.

Anyway it would be interesting to see how many studios that would run Linux if all software was available on Linux... Would be cool with a special distro just for audio production.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:27:42 PM by Immersion »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
Ubuntu Studio is a version of Ubuntu especially for audio production. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

I've experimented with Linux at length, because I too like the philosophy of openness. Unfortunately, the result of this openness is that it's extremely hard to get anything done, and most of the really useful software is not available. I've given up trying to make it work for me. It's fun to experiment with. It has some of the benefits of Unix, with a few similarities to other GUI-based systems like Windows and Mac, but in my opinion it's not really a suitable operating system for anybody except programmers and people who work primarily in the command line.

You're right that Windows is still the biggest platform, but the situation is changing. Not only is Windows losing market share to Mac OS and Linux, but more significantly, many people who used to use a standard Windows PC now use a tablet or even a smart phone instead. I know many people who now use their table for most "computing" tasks, and only use their desktop computer rarely, for things like printing out big documents, or filing tax returns. For other things, they use portable touch-interface devices. The world of personal computing is changing.

You don't have to like Apple or use their products -- as we said we each get to use what we like -- but to dismiss their influence in the world of computing is silly. They are not only the largest computing company in the world, not only the biggest technology company in the world, but the biggest company of any kind, and still growing.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
Ubuntu Studio is a version of Ubuntu especially for audio production. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

I've experimented with Linux at length, because I too like the philosophy of openness. Unfortunately, the result of this openness is that it's extremely hard to get anything done, and most of the really useful software is not available. I've given up trying to make it work for me. It's fun to experiment with. It has some of the benefits of Unix, with a few similarities to other GUI-based systems like Windows and Mac, but in my opinion it's not really a suitable operating system for anybody except programmers and people who work primarily in the command line.

You're right that Windows is still the biggest platform, but the situation is changing. Not only is Windows losing market share to Mac OS and Linux, but more significantly, many people who used to use a standard Windows PC now use a tablet or even a smart phone instead. I know many people who now use their table for most "computing" tasks, and only use their desktop computer rarely, for things like printing out big documents, or filing tax returns. For other things, they use portable touch-interface devices. The world of personal computing is changing.

You don't have to like Apple or use their products -- as we said we each get to use what we like -- but to dismiss their influence in the world of computing is silly. They are not only the largest computing company in the world, not only the biggest technology company in the world, but the biggest company of any kind, and still growing.

Well regarding the usability of linux it all has to do with that what kind of people who use linux..it is mostly people who are familiar with command line..
to make it more easy friendly I Think is not the hardest part... the only thing that would make linux go more in that direction would be if more normal people with no ultra skills use linux well anyway Linux has a lot to work on...  Android is based on linux...

As a mac user like you are I can understand that you think apple is growing,  I am a windows users I see myself that more people is using windows,
Apple is losing users to android every day, their market share is going to android every day...
It is true a lot of people are using a tablet instead of a laptop or desktop, but I can tell you the reality is also that is in many ways because of economical reasons...  Because people really want a smartphone and a tablet they can't simply afford or they do not prioritize to get a laptop and desktop.
Hybrids will become more popular in 2014 a lot of new hybrid products will be released... I think that is a good compromise.. To write on a smartphone or a tablet will for me forever be a compromise on a touch display.

The future of desktop computers...I wonder where it will be. For office and business it will still be the main device..as before.. I just know a lot of people prioritize a tablet or smartphone...
I just find the desktop a totally superior tool for multiasking and general creativity and producticity what I can get remotly close on any touch based unit.
To write and do most task is not effortless as on a computer.  On a computer I can write with my eyes close, it requires no mental effort, while writing on a touch gives me both mental and also physical pain it is not as effortless.

I like to tablet for what it is good for but it does also irritated me when I see people outside flashing around with their expensive ipad and show it off like some kind of superior thing, a tablet is a compromise  in favour for portability nothing more then that, it is good to surf  on tablet optimized pages but can also be a real pain and struggle,  on many pages.

With how the things are developeing I am not sure who will use the desktop.   Kids today that are 4 years old are groing up with tablets.. so of course this generation..will be different...  Most of my female friends have no laptop cause they can't want afford one because they have to upgrade their iphone every second year. But it seem atleast almost all my friends want atleast a laptop..but again think they want a laptop cause it is multi use you can use both at home and when you are out., I think is mostly because of economic reasons people do not priortize desktop..simply too many devices now... smartphone...tablet..laptop..desktop..before you only had laptop and desktop..

Personalyl nothing beats the desktop experience it makes all senses harmonic to just sit down in an relaxing chair with a big widescreen monitor and a great mouse and keyboard it is effortless, just space out to good musice effortlessly, when I use touch based devices I find it very hard to keepy myself in this effortless state of mind, it is always a constant pain to write,  words are getting wrong all the the time, wrong spelled etc.. Touch based keyboards today have addressed this problem by designing them  and that they are made to write terrible on them cause the keyboard will predict what you want to write...I do not really care to write very good on my smartphone cause I think the chance is big that the keyboard will correct sometimes wrong but more oftenly it will predict totally wrong word...all this give me a frustrating experience... It is only with a desktop and with my big wide screen display I really feel relaxed... atleast doing multi tasking stuff.. for simplier stuff smartphone and tablet is ok..but when you try to be productive and multi task it gets quickly frustrating.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:43:36 PM by Immersion »

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 03:35:31 AM »
I used to rely on WinAmp, but since it's got bigger and bigger I switched to foobar2000, which offers really nice components and customization possibilites.
Though I still use Winamp because of Streamripper to record radio shows.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:24 AM »
I used to rely on WinAmp, but since it's got bigger and bigger I switched to foobar2000, which offers really nice components and customization possibilites.
Though I still use Winamp because of Streamripper to record radio shows.

hAs any one missed the news that AOL was very close to put winamp into the grave recently...
The latest news indicate however that Winamp will be sold to another company who will keep it alive..

Also check out http://spotiamp.com/ :)
I guess it is some kind of tribute to winamp...from Spotify..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:53:51 AM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »
I did read today that winamp was sold to Radionomy.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
As a mac user like you are I can understand that you think apple is growing,  I am a windows users I see myself that more people is using windows,
Apple is losing users to android every day, their market share is going to android every day...

I didn't say Apple was the main reason Windows market share was shrinking. Please re-read my post. I said Windows was losing market share to Mac, Linux and especially tablets and smart phones.

You're simply wrong that more people are using Windows. It's not even close.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/12/13/microsofts-market-share-drops-from-97-to-20-in-just-over-a-decade/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/microsoft-pc-market-share-drops-60-in-5-years

You can't make assertions about market share based on your own preferences, or a few people you know. Market share isn't about which you think other people should use. It's about the actual number of real people in the world using different devices.

At the current rate of change, within the next 10 years, Windows is likely to be used by only a tiny minority of technology users. I'm very curious to see what will happen, because my day job is as a corporate IT Manager.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
At my workplace, everyone has a Windows computer on their desk, and the Outside Salesmen have always had Windows laptops.

As of yesterday, our Inside Sales Manager has been promoted so that he will be going outside, visiting customers more often, so he will get a portable computer for email, entering call reports, web browsing, and accessing our ERP system. He decided he would rather have a 4G iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, instead of a laptop. I completed a full review of the costs, and plusses and minuses as far as capability and convenience, for our company's owner. We came to the conclusion that of the activities he needed to do while traveling, most of them could be done at least as well using an iPad and keyboard. The one thing that will probably be a little less efficient is the creation of pricing spreadsheets, but even that will be do-able with the touch interface and keyboard.

The other outside salesmen, all of whom already have their Windows 8 Pro laptops, have already heard about this. Many have expressed that when they are eligible for an upgrade, they might want to get a 4G iPad instead of a new laptop. The Outside Sales Manager has an old laptop and needs a new one, and he's already eagerly asking for an iPad instead of an upgraded laptop.

The reason this is interesting to me is not because I'm an "Apple fanboy" and prefer to see my corporation spend money on Apple products. For 20 years, my job has been to test and recommend technology options, and to train people on the new devices they will use to do their job. The reason this change is interesting to me is that for the first time since the release of Droid and iPhone "smart phones," when everyone at the company who was eligible for one was eager and excited to be one of the first people to get an upgrade, now everyone who might be eligible for a company-paid computer is eager and excited to get an iPad instead of a laptop. They're acting like it's something COOL and FUN that they're excited to get, even if their laptop is already allowing them to get their work done.

As an IT Manager, it doesn't really make my job that much better or worse if an Outside Salesman uses a Windows laptop, or a Droid tablet, or an iPad. I do think it's interesting, though, when a professional salesmen is excited like a kid with a toy at the prospect of getting a new piece of technology with which to accomplish his work.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
I should add we are not considering switching desk-bound office workers like myself to iPads for our work, just mobile workers.

If you're doing data entry and spreadsheets all day, a mouse and keyboard is still the best control device, and most of us in this office have two large 1080p monitors mounted on a stand for an extended work place.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »

I didn't say Apple was the main reason Windows market share was shrinking. Please re-read my post. I said Windows was losing market share to Mac, Linux and especially tablets and smart phones.

You're simply wrong that more people are using Windows. It's not even close.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/12/13/microsofts-market-share-drops-from-97-to-20-in-just-over-a-decade/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/microsoft-pc-market-share-drops-60-in-5-years

You can't make assertions about market share based on your own preferences, or a few people you know. Market share isn't about which you think other people should use. It's about the actual number of real people in the world using different devices.

At the current rate of change, within the next 10 years, Windows is likely to be used by only a tiny minority of technology users. I'm very curious to see what will happen, because my day job is as a corporate IT Manager.

This is the market share for desktop operating systems.

Of course numbers will change if we include tablets and smartphones..cause there is not so many good windows alternatives, and quite frankly the windows OS for smartphone and Tablets is not as good as android or Ios.  But yeah the market is chaining, I still think it is due to economic reasons still, ideally people want both tablet, laptop, desktop and smartphone, if you have a tablet it easier to ditch a laptop.. but people have to prioritize  a lot of people have a tablet maybe do not prioritize to buy a laptop or ultrabooks, which both are pretty expensive devices.

I simply do not share your prognosis about the future of windows, I think the market is changing but for desktop computers I do not see windows is going weaker.. how the desktop market will develop I do not know either since more and more people in more poor countries starting to use computers too.  I agree they will loose markets shares to tablets and smartphones I do not deny that, cause a lot of people is satisfied with a smartphone or a tablet and no real need for a desktop or laptop.

But I think in most home there will be some kind of need for atleast one laptop or desktop in a typical family home..
Most people go in school in some time, I do not think a lot of people want to write long documents on a tablet.

There has always been plenty of choices of operating systems to use, despite if we like the operating systems or not we are "forced" to choose either mac or windows right now because of all the application are mostly supported by these operating systems, it forces people to get stuck with these platforms. So it is basically the big software companies that will form the future. I know Adobe is planning to release on Linux... People are deeply dependent on programs when using a platform.. so unless there will be a drastic change in the next 10 years we will get stuck in these two alternatives...

as I said Android is based on Linux so...for the better good I wish more software would be released on this platform..

I think Microsoft will have a hard time to compete on portable and touch based devices..

For the next version of windows microsoft has set as a goal that they want an API that will work on all devices, and even better today, and that windows for desktop, smartphone and tablet will be identical cause they have the same API, I think, if they succeed in this they might have a good chance.. One thing is clear they need something new but to make something fits all devices is a good idea..which should make it more seamless experience.

" Windows is likely to be used by only a tiny minority of technology users. I'"

Of course we all choose what we believe, I simply do not believe in this..
I did work as an IT consultant before and I do not see atleast the office sector is all switching over tablets.
Typically in a company it is only the bosses or people higher up in the chain that get a tablet.. typically, cause it is good to have on meetings and stuff.. But it depends on what kind of work you do in some job sectors it can be very useful.

we can only speculate..we can ateast agree that market is changing

in fact we can only speculate,

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
This is degenerating into "platform wars" and probably boring for 90% of people reading this topic -- not to mention,  off-topic.

The last thing I will say about your previous few messages is that you frequently make statements as if they are facts, when they're actually opinions ore preferences, or worse, incorrect facts.

So, let's talk about media players.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »
This is degenerating into "platform wars" and probably boring for 90% of people reading this topic -- not to mention,  off-topic.

The last thing I will say about your previous few messages is that you frequently make statements as if they are facts, when they're actually opinions ore preferences, or worse, incorrect facts.

So, let's talk about media players.

Well I tried to explain to you that your prognosis for the future is not "facts" either.
You can find a prognosis that would support the opposite interest too..  Apple is good finding the right numbers like that especially in advertising campaigns...

But yeah no problem lets ditch I do not think we will agree on the future of windows...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
Well I tried to explain to you that your prognosis for the future is not "facts" either.

Yes, and in my prognosis for the future, I used the word "likely."  I did not state it like it was a fact.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »

Yes, and in my prognosis for the future, I used the word "likely."  I did not state it like it was a fact.

I did write..that we can only speculate... about how the market will change... I did speculate...of course we both have our different convictions

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Back on topic: Are there any other media players people can recommend based on experience?

iTunes, Winamp, Foobar, Windows Media Player, is what I've heard so far.

What this points out is that, regardless of the platform, there don't seem to be that many good choices out there.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Check out Media Monkey and Media Center
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK