Author Topic: Surge Protecters, Power Conditioners & Balanced Power....What do you use?  (Read 199 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
I ask this question because about 4 months ago I came into the studio to meet the smell of charred electronics, a very distinctive smell.  To my relief I discovered it wasnt any gear put my Furman AR 1215 was fried....had it done its job and perished in the process.  Cant say but since then the studio has been running off local power straight out of the wall.

The balanced power option to do right is too expensive and the results are questionable.

I was considering a simple but good surge protector/backup like this one below which I have at work in the office.

I curious what others use and recommend?

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Surge Protecters, Power Conditioners & Balanced Power....What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:39:55 AM »
I would _not_ follow me on this...  I use APC and some similar "upper end boxstore strips". 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Surge Protecters, Power Conditioners & Balanced Power....What do you use?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
Brownouts can also be destructive. I use a UPS for my computer related gear and another for my synths/mixers/FX/etc...

Currently use CyberPower 1000VA but there's lots of choices out there.

Jamie has a somewhat portable UPS that he'll bring to our dreamSTATE shows in locations with suspect power.

May your Furman RIP.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I did a long extensive research on the matter about 1 year ago,  my conclusion was that for me in my situation it was more priority to get grounded power.
Another consensus did seem to be that a lot of these cheaper products can do more harm then good, but in extreme situations where the power is very dirty and it really affects your gear they can be good. But a lot of the cheaper products on the market will actually make the sound quality worse, the filters can be destructive to transients.  I would say a cheaper box might be more better in use on live gigs then in a private budget studio. If you have grounded power in your house it should be safe, and no need for a cheap furman box.

If you really want to make a good difference there seemed to be no shortcuts, the balanced Furman boxes was still on top of the list for most people, but as Julio mentioned they are very expensive, and might not be the first gear you "want" to buy, for a private studio.  But the longer the studio grow and the more expensive gear you get you come to a point where the Balanced furman box might not be a big cost in percentage of the general gear.

Another point to consider when reading discussions on other forums about this object.. it is really hard to find a consensus  the opinions are very very individual, every person seem to have a totally different view on the subject, and the discussions gets quickly in to really hardcore scientific discussion which only a real electrician can really understand fully.  I have been recommended isolation transformers if you use non grounded power, to create it s own "grounded power" for the gear, but then there is also a lot of people who said it is useless bla bla bla

My reserach did anyway end up with not investing in any cheap furman box..
in a longer pespective it might be wise to invest in some of the balanced boxes by furman, but in current studio situation
it would not make sense, since it would be too big cost considering the total value of my studio gear.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Thanks for all the information Ekstasis...I know the Furman balanced power box you talk about.  It is very expensive1

Crepuscule

• View Profile
I was going to purchase one of those 250 euros furman boxes, but now...

My house is fully grounded but I still listen to some background noise in some machines (max volume) Expecially when they aren't plugged in the same power strip.