Author Topic: Oblivion - 2013  (Read 1163 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Oblivion - 2013
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
Has anyone seen Oblivion? My wife and I watched it last night and I thought it was an incredible piece of sci-fi. The visuals were wonderful, the story was excellent, and the way the story unfolds is really clever. It didn't get great ratings, but it seemed like something that a few Hypnos folks might appreciate.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Oblivion - 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
Totally agree.
Visuals/production values, story ...  excellent.
I'm looking forward to seeing it again some day.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
I too enjoyed oblivion, though I felt it owed more than a nod to the film Moon from 2009.

Moon is a more subtle story, more in the lineage of silent running and 2001 than the more modern flash bang spaceship and fighting film that Oblivion is.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
I haven't seen Moon. I'll have to check that out!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
Three great sci-fi films of late:  Oblivion, Elysium, and Europa Report.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
I liked Oblivion.  It didn't feel right seeing Tom Cruise as a techie repairman type guy, so the twist where he was once the leader of the human resistance made more sense, both for him as an actor and the story.  Probably the sci-fi and hollywood community will give the clone-thing a rest for before it gets too played out.  (Moon, Never Let me Go, Obvlivion)

If you liked Moon, have you seen Duncan Jones's (son of David Bowie) other movie, Source Code?  That is fantastic!  Neat quantum physics-type twist to the end... see that kind of ending to me is what helps make a film unforgettable.

Speaking of unforgettable, District 9 was such to me... which is why the sophomore effort Elysium by that director was a let down- it's watchable but I had higher expectations.  With Elysium, Matt Damon and Jodie Foster were capable, and I like Sharlto Copley but I thought he played the bad guy way over the top, along with the Mexican arms/immigrant smuggler- their characters were kind of a distraction.   The look was there, but the story seemed to lack the soul that District 9 had.  I think Drone On and I have already had this discussion and you didn't like District 9?  If you liked Elysium, to me District 9 was a lot more exciting with more complexity to the main character and the story. 

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »
Just to add to something because that commentary was overly harsh on Elysium:  The first half of the movie is really solid, and I was completely hooked.  The special effects are top-notch.  That moment where Matt Damon blows away the first robocop into a million bits is incredible.  I wish the second half, which was the action-half, had more of that.  Instead, enter Kruger and his mercenary buddies, and the android cops are barely even seen again.

They could have kept the Kruger character completely out, and let this movie be about Jodie Foster as the evil secretary, the corporate boss on earth for his relatively short stint, and the army of robocops.  That would have given the movie the colder, more artificial contrast of machines & soulless assholes who keep the pristine Elysium running. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
I liked District 9 a lot, too. Moon is excellent too.

For a great space travel film you gotta see Europa Report.  A mix of 2001, Prometheus, Gravity, Apollo 18..puts the science back in science fiction.  Great acting, smart, awesome visuals.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 07:01:20 AM »
Enjoyed Oblivion....saw it when it came out.  The balance between content and action was better than what hollywood usually dishes out...all action!

At the end of the movie when the second Tom Cruise arrived at the lake house, made me wonder what the heroine of the movie would do with all these Tom Cruise character around....a bit of weird ending in my mind.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
........made me wonder what the heroine of the movie would do with all these Tom Cruise character around....a bit of weird ending in my mind.

:o :o :o :o oooh  :o :o :o :o

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »
........made me wonder what the heroine of the movie would do with all these Tom Cruise character around....a bit of weird ending in my mind.

:o :o :o :o oooh  :o :o :o :o

Right!..... ;D

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
Haha. Good observation.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 03:15:07 PM »
Really need to see Oblivion, Gravity and, as a result of this topic, Europa Report, which I was unaware of.

Moon.......... fantastic film as is District 9. Also check out Sunshine if you haven't yet  8).

Recently enjoyed the Blade Runner Blu Ray ( many years since viewed ) and also "2010 The Year We Made Contact" which I was quite surprised was not too bad at all considering the quality of the original masterpiece 2001.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 06:41:18 PM »
I did love Oblivion very good sci fi on highest level!

I saw the movie called "Gravity" yesterday and I was just equally impressed with that one. 

Europa report was nice Sci FI to, and Last days on Mars seem nice have not watched it yet.

The movie called "moon" from 2009 I really recommend also.

I

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »
I thought Elysium was awful. Such a mess of a movie. Underdeveloped story, overacting (or should I say: over-pronunciation) from Foster and others, wooden Matt Damon. And simply a lot of silly things happening. Top it off with pointless, random slow motion moments. Honestly, its only strong point is the visuals.

I like Oblivion, by the way. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:11:54 AM by DeepR »