Author Topic: New Toy for Studio  (Read 2651 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
New Toy for Studio
« on: July 12, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
I thought I would share this with everyone and maybe wake everyone up since nothing seems to happen here any more.  ;D I got a new synth this week, a Prophet 12. I haven't had much time to play with it much I am looking forward to giving it some time this summer. Here's a picture of it in the studio:
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: New Toy for Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
Nice !   8)
Be interesting to hear why you were attracted to this particular synth.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
I have been watching this synth...actually been leaning more towards the desktop version due to limited space and the somewhat similar interface to the Xpander / Matrix 12

Congratulations....Let us know what you think. :)
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »
Nice !   8)
Be interesting to hear why you were attracted to this particular synth.

I have/had a Prophet VS which I enjoyed but being 30 years old it was getting on in years and was starting to show its age, with some parts being nearly impossible to replace now a days. The one thing I never liked all that much was the interface. I've played around with the P12 several times over the past couple of years since seeing one at the NAMM show, plus I like the interface a lot better. It has all the same sounds that the VS had and more, has more voices, more oscillators, more everything really. So, I traded my VS in a got the P12 instead, I think it has a lot more potential and will see a lot of use on my up coming projects.

Julio, the desktop version is a steal, but just doesn't compare to the keyboard version with all the knobs. I could see getting a desktop version for more voices or for maybe a live setup. I'm sure you can find one for a deal somewhere as I don't think they have been selling all that well.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
Knobs, knobs, knobs!! I love it.  8)
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »
Loren, How's your relationship with the Prophet 12 going?

I bought a Pro 2 on Cyber Monday and have loved the sound and spontaneous editing possibilities but the sequencer has a bug or two which may or may not be fixed in a future  firmware update. I spotted a used Prophet 12 for only 2 or 3 hundred more than the Pro 2 with taxes and have been having a tough time making up my mind about returning the Pro (30 day return policy) or keeping it. I appreciate the smaller form (more likely to be taken to jams and gigs), the superwaves and the sequencer (which does work well, but in a more limited fashion than I expected) The proper 12/6 note 4-osc polyphony and double arps on the Prophet 12 seem seductive too. (They're both very expensive in Canada as our dollar is weak now.)

Anyway, I think I've conveyed my confusion in this win/win situation, so I thought I'd feel you out about how much you've actually been using your 12 in the last 6 months and if you've had any Pro 2 exposure yourself.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »
Well, my relationship with the Pro 2 has kept deepening, so I can't let the darned thing go now. I can imagine the polygoodness of the P12 but even though the P2 sequencer has some bugs, it still has me entranced with its direct connections to the sound shaping. It's my new friend now. Lord help me if I ever try the P12 too. ;)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »
Loren, How's your relationship with the Prophet 12 going?

Hi Scott, sorry about not replying to your question, I was busy over the winter break. I wish I could give you an in depth report on the P12, but I really haven't had any time to play with any of my gear. Short story is my girlfriend moved in with me which meant I had to move my studio to another room, at the same time I was also doing some home repairs. I am now just about done with all of that and my studio is just about completely up and running. I did do a couple of short sessions with the P12 just for fun, its a great instrument.

Glad you are getting on with the Pro 2, I wouldn't mind one of those either. Some people seem to prefer the new filter on the P2 over the curtis one on the P12. DSi just added linear FM to the P12 which makes it even more interesting now. I understand the P2 will get that too in the future. I'll let you know more when I can get to it, between the P12 and the Capybara (which I finally got working just yesterday) I think I have all my free time taken up for the next year or so.   ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell