Author Topic: Help me finishing my ambient setup :)  (Read 25379 times)

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
Re: Help me finishing my ambient setup :)
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »
Thanks Tomas.

Any good recommendation in the 500 euros price range? 1000 it's a bit steep for a mic.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
Thanks for your input Immersion.

I don't have high end sources, so that ssl piece of gear, is out of my budget :)

If you check my synth list, you won't see an andromeda, matrix 12 or a JB solaris.

I would pay 3k for a mixer if it was better than the yamaha 01v96i... But I didn't found one, any tips?

People mention the presonus, but IMO it's not comparable to the yamaha...

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
also, what kind of pre amps are you planing to use both your mics and the xpander needs a pre amp.
Also are you sure about the xpander have you try it or do you own it already ?
sorry if I have not been reading the whole thread...I had the Xpander for a while  I decided to sell it.
It is not the the first thing I would spend the money.. in a new studio.

That mixer have preamps based on some reviews they seem pretty good, again, in that price range.

Well I don't have any analog gear so far, so my first option is the moog sub 37, I want to check the differences against digital VA equipment, i'm making it part of my studies.

Purchasing an Xpander depends on a lot of factors, luck, budget and overall shape of the gear. So let's see if I get an opportunity in the future.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:24 AM »
Quote from: Immersion

…. Behringer……. a better second hand value

;D ;D ;D

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Thanks again Immersion.

Yes, I have a lot of sources, 6 synths, some with multiple outputs, the scenario is live layered recording.

I live in europe, a second hand andromeda can cost around 3000 euros (USD 4000), here technology is expensive.
So I don't need high end ssl gear, the best output I have is from my Roland V-Synth.

That yamaha costs here around 1980 euros (USD 2700) and yes, for the features it can't be beaten... the only thing that would piss me, is if they release a new product soon.
Yes I want all that functionality, for me it doesn't make sense, to buy 3 pieces of hardware, If I can can buy one that sum the 3 and it's integrated.

And the yamaha DM-1000? a better choice?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:01:30 AM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
I live in Sweden but I buy a lot from Germany cause it is cheaper.

Alright I understand now, but the price difference for the yamaha and the x32 compact is only 200 dollars, considering your threshold  for me the choice would had been easy.

http://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_x_32_compact.htm

well, it exist good solutions with all in one units,  Prism audio have some good products..for instance..but they are expensive... I myself have the Antelope Eclipse, which is basically 3 products in one too..

hmm the DM 1000 doesn't that cost like 6000 EUR ? your budget suddenly changed ?

Behringer is a shit, sorry, I hate that shitty company, please don't recommend me their crap, because I had bad experiences with them in the past.

No, the budget is the same, considering second hand DM 1000 from a studio selling it here.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »
My main concern with second hand audio gear, is excessive wear, especially when it comes to motorized faders. I don't want to make you feel I'm a nuisance but it's an important investment for years to come, and prefer to make questions now, than to be sorry at a later time.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »
Thanks Tomas.

Any good recommendation in the 500 euros price range? 1000 it's a bit steep for a mic.

Really depends what you are looking for!

I assume a stereo mic makes a lot of sense when it comes for what you are planing to do. Also it´s about you "sound preference"…for instance, i don´t like at all mic´s which have a boost in the top end (like Neumann and many others do, especially to give the signal more "shining") but prefer more a "warm/round" sound. If you are into this as well, then Oktava is a very good recommendation:

http://www.thomann.de/de/oktava_mk_102_msp2_silver_stereo_pair.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/de/oktava_mk_012_20_black.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/de/oktava_mk_102_stereo_pair_msp2_black.htm

Greetings,
Tomas

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah that midas mixer look sick!

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »
Behringer is a shit, sorry, I hate that shitty company, please don't recommend me their crap, because I had bad experiences with them in the past.

Normally I would agree with you, I for the most part hate Behringer and think most of their product is crap. But the X32 is pretty good for what it is. We have one here at work for use in our theater and its been going strong for over a year now. Does a great job and sounds good. We are probably going to get a second one for recording. Having said that I would probably not get one for a synth studio. I don't think it has any line level inputs, like what a synth puts out.  It's really a live board, we will use it in our recording studio for recording concerts and recitals because we can easily connect the two together even though they will be in different parts of the building. And from what I have read it was designed by Midas, Behringer took it and dumbed down the specs of it so they could make a cheaper version. It looks like the M32 is basically the same board but with higher quality components.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

Cubase 8 > Learn it well. > long hours > worth it !

UAD 2