Author Topic: lou reed ambient meditation music - unbelievable!  (Read 5604 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
lou reed ambient meditation music - unbelievable!
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »
http://www.spiritvoyage.com/SearchResult.aspx?pageNo=1&SearchTerm=lou%20reed&SearchType=1
yep - the man who made the offbeat cool (and made shooting dope sound like fun) has created a cd of some extremely cool ambient music. i am absolutely blown away by the textures and timbres of this soundscape! amazing!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
Re: lou reed ambient meditation music - unbelievable!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »
I guess it was inevitable that he'd do a follow-up to Metal Machine Music  ;)
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
I guess it was inevitable that he'd do a follow-up to Metal Machine Music  ;)
i thought about that too but ................................
metal machine fucked up noise wasn't really music, was it?
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
That's a damn good question.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
Metal Machine Music was just a contract-breaker.  Does anyone seriously think Lou Reed ever puts on this album at home?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »

yep - the man who made the offbeat cool (and made shooting dope sound like fun) has created a cd of some extremely cool ambient music.

Maybe it's not so surprising after all. The Velvet Underground had dabbled in drones occasionally, especially the two albums with John Cale. Remember All Tomorrow's Parties? That was dronish for sure. And even Sister Ray was dronish in a raw & harsh way.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »

yep - the man who made the offbeat cool (and made shooting dope sound like fun) has created a cd of some extremely cool ambient music.

Maybe it's not so surprising after all. The Velvet Underground had dabbled in drones occasionally, especially the two albums with John Cale. Remember All Tomorrow's Parties? That was dronish for sure. And even Sister Ray was dronish in a raw & harsh way.
yeah, john cale did add a new dimension to the vu. and while it is a bit unexpected i am not totally surprised by this. after all, clarence clemons, ian anderson and rick wakeman have done new age and sir paul has done electronica and a symphony or two.
has anyone heard metal machine music orchestrated? i have heard that it is pretty amazing.
(and i knew that mmm was in fulfillment of a contract.)
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
I remember reading a Lester Bangs review of Metal Machine Music; -how he had woken up with a terrible hangover and played MMM non-stop at earsplitting volume, while beginning another whiskey and speed binge; consequently destroying much of his furniture and almost getting arrested for disturbing the peace, and screaming "fuck you!"  repeatedly at several of his friends who had stopped by to visit. Presumably this was a "positive" review.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »
I remember reading a Lester Bangs review of Metal Machine Music; -how he had woken up with a terrible hangover and played MMM non-stop at earsplitting volume, while beginning another whiskey and speed binge; consequently destroying much of his furniture and almost getting arrested for disturbing the peace, and screaming "fuck you!"  repeatedly at several of his friends who had stopped by to visit. Presumably this was a "positive" review.
is that the one in the all music guide?
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »

"...screaming for surcease of aural flagellation..." heh.

:D

Mike

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
is that the one in the all music guide?

You know, I can't remember where I read that. Probably one of those teen music mags at that time, like RollingStone or Creem, or maybe a Lou Reed biography I had. But I remember that Lester really seemed to love it. I was SO interested in hearing it myself, because at that time I loved other harsh & violent aural assaults, such as "Raw Power", by Iggy & The Stooges (and I still love that record!) But now I have no interest in hearing MMM... I'm sure it's far noisier than my middle age sensibilities can handle. ;)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
i heard some snippets of the orchestrated version - it sucks too!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com