Author Topic: My review of "Nightbreeze" CD by Havdis  (Read 999 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Nightbreeze" CD by Havdis
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:48:09 AM »

Havdis "Nightbreeze" CD

Havdis, the mysterious project of even more mysterious Norwegian soundscaper Odd Jensen, returns with 2nd full length album on gterma, entitled "Nightbreeze" and released at the end of October 2013. Actually, this is Havdis' third release, but the first one, "Clouds Into Sea" from 2011 (out as download on Russian Mixgalaxy net-label and also self-released as a CDr) was one year later featured on stunningly submerging debut "The Hidden Islands" CD on gterma (March, 2012).

First confrontation with "Nightbreeze" is absolutely impressive with striking beauty of panoramic images by Nina Benjaminsen featured on 16-page booklet. But I am sure Havdis is going to as much close as possible to reveal all the magic of these breathtaking Nordic landscapes during summer twilight. The opening piece, "Nothing But Pale Horizon", fits accurately the title with reverberating dronescape, quite contemplative, enriched by mellowly traversing passages filled with slight densities, disruptions and stillness. "Silent Dawn", with 4 minutes the shortest piece, unfolds with mesmerizingly circling melancholic washes, cavernous echoes sneak in along the way and add more mysterious dimension. "As The Moon Made Love To The Mountain" drifts graciously through warmly expansive nocturnal skylines while "Blċmyra" is sculpted with field recordings of hummed coastal panoramas and monochromatic drone. More textured layer with gorgeously evocative pads moves to the fore, flavored here and there with water splashes and seagull calls. Remote mild tinkles announce "Sweet Silent Solitude" and the listener is smoothly transported into utterly evocative, free-floating atmospheric Eden. Gracefully amorphous and colossally immersing exploration of some of the most fascinating sceneries of Nordic landscapes. Havdis dives deeply into the natural magnificence of these territories!!! The next cut, "Beneath Stars Of Fall", intensely drifts with choir-like infused drones above breathtakingly majestic ocean cliffs while bridged with mystic beauty of these climes. "Drops On An Inner Lake" relieve the ears with its stillness permeating through primordial cave, while soft clinks precisely interact with warmly embracing expanses enriched by piano. A journey into wonderfully immense place!!! "Nightbreeze", the title track, moves through more textured, spirally repetitive path evoking spectacular play of colors, which could be a natural phenomenon of midnight sun glimmering on the lake's surface. "Entering The Sheltered Waters Close To Harbour" heads into mysteriously sparse organic terrains, flavored with distant primordial rumblings. The closing piece, "Arcticmantra (Let Us Keep The Ice)", is with 14 minutes the longest one on "Nightbreeze". Rather monotonous, humming drone is spiced by assorted foreboding fragments and lightened by tranquilizing field recordings. Toward the end the dronewalls relievedly fade away. A truly awe-inspiring finale with deeply mindscaping experience guaranteed!!!

"Nightbreeze", composed and recorded between 2009 and 2013 and mastered by A.P (aka Anders Peterson of Ghost Sounds), is another stunningly adventurous album by Havdis. This guy keeps on impressing me with his undulating and crescendoing dronesculptings. "Nightbreeze" exquisitely portrays all the natural summer magic of untamed Norwegian hinterlands. Can't afford to visit these places? Don't worry, with "Nightbreeze" you will be carried away to discover all these jaw-dropping panoramas!!!

Richard Gürtler (Jan 19, 2014, Bratislava, Slovakia)