Author Topic: Anything out there comparable to an Eventide Eclipse.  (Read 1123 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Anything out there comparable to an Eventide Eclipse.
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:20:06 AM »
Just curious as to what others use and or recommend in a hardware box.  Not opposed to software options but currently us no software verbs.  I do like this box a lot....very good reverb, though I image not quite as good as top of the line boxes from Lexicon and TC electronics.  I also like the more unusual "Black Hole" type fx in the box.

Other than its big brothers the H7600 & H8000 which are too deep for my needs is there something else out there?

Thanks

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Anything out there comparable to an Eventide Eclipse.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »
I've seen some people say that ValhallaShimmer is supposed to be based off of Eventide's Black Hole reverb but I've never tried it myself. I've also never used anything by Eventide, though I'm thinking about getting the 2016 Stereo Room reverb plugin.

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallashimmer
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »
UVI Spark Verb
UAD Lexicon 224
Softube TSAR
Lexicon PCM Natve Bundle

Got these and sold/and or never touch my outboard boxes anymore.
They are that good.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:22:47 AM »
Thanks Castleview & Paul for you recommendations.....I sensed that verbs and Fx had gone soft and become comparable to hardware and that there was not a great deal more hardware units than what I knew of.....Briscanti was the most recent box to come along in recent years an its priced beyond my reach.  :(

hpsounds

• ice, desert, glaciers, ...
    • View Profile
    • hielo patagonia sounds
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
ValhallaDSP Shimmer and ValhallaVintageVerb complement nicely my Eventide Eclipse, at least for the reverbs. Sean Costello (ValhallaDSP) is really dedicated to reverb dsp : here his manifesto.

H.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
This is what I currently have in my studio effect wise:

Lexicon 300
Lexicon MPX1
Roland SBF325 flanger
Sony D7
Sony R7
TC Electronics Reverb 4000
TC Electronics Fireworx
Ursa Major Stargate 323

I also use a lot of plugins, mostly stuff from the UAD and Powercore cards along with a few native things. First choice for verbs for me is always the hardware I have.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
This is what I currently have in my studio effect wise:

...TC Electronics Fireworx
Ursa Major Stargate 323...

Never heard of the Stargate before - what's it like?

I've been having fun playing with my recently acquired fireworx, enjoying both the quality and flexibility.

It's not quite as powerful as i would have liked in that some of the effects blocks are limited - ie 1 phaser or 1 reverb block per patch....do you know if it is possible to upgrade to increase processing power and block numbers?

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
Not necessarily similar but another reverb plugin worth trying is Airwalker:

http://minimalsystem.com/Store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

Also, Toraverb is great too:

http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=228
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »

Never heard of the Stargate before - what's it like?

Nice old reverb/delay from the mid 1980s. Ursa Major made one of the first digital reverbs called the space station, the stargate was its successor. Here's a demo of the 626 which is the same unit but with double the memory of my 323:

Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:46 AM »
I was very fond of the TC Electronics VSS3 Reverb I had on a Powercore card in a now deceased G5.....always had my eye on TC 4000 as this has that algorithm and the VSS4 plus more in it.

This was my concern with the Fireworx that it might be limited regarding each patch though I have found limits are often a good thing.....is it tricky to patch the firefox with the relatively small screen?

Seren this is taken from the TC Fireworx website....not sure if it answers you question.  http://www.tcelectronic.com/fireworx/

Routing Blocks
Setting up effects-algorithm blocks in the FireworX Routing matrix is extremely easy. With a double click on the effect block panel buttons, you insert the effect type chosen with the Value wheel. You can change the order of the effects, repeat certain blocks, add feedback loops and even insert an external device. Choosing an effect block and pushing Enter will bring up the Sub Routing I/O page of the chosen block. You can decide on where the chosen effect will get its fuel from and where to route the power. This way you have exactly the same flexibility in connecting the effects as if you had a couple of external effects-machines and a patch-bay.

The Stargate sounds very good and different.....is it in production today?

Im enjoying checking out the software contributions to this thread......thanks everyone

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
I am enjoying digging into the fireworx - playing around with the blocks is very easy once you've got the idea of how it works - there is also about 200 user patches that can be stored with the effects I create....Each effect has a extensive range of parameters that can be changed, including the options for a variety of 'modifiers', including external, that can be 'matrixed' in to affect the effect, sometimes in 'realtime' - the way these 'modifiers' affect the sound can be varied/programmed too......

My only 'gripe' is that the overall processing power only allows 1 block of some effects such as reverb, or phaser per patch. Also some of the effects are mono in only....but as I got it for 250 on ebay I am not going to complain....

As you say - limitations are often good - I am thinking of what I need to do to overcome them...

The overall quality of the sound is as usual for TC, very good.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:53:18 PM »
I was very fond of the TC Electronics VSS3 Reverb I had on a Powercore card in a now deceased G5.....always had my eye on TC 4000 as this has that algorithm and the VSS4 plus more in it.

This was my concern with the Fireworx that it might be limited regarding each patch though I have found limits are often a good thing.....is it tricky to patch the firefox with the relatively small screen?

No its pretty easy to work with but I hardly ever use the reverb, its not up to par with the bigger verbs like the VSS3/4.

The Stargate sounds very good and different.....is it in production today?

Nope, long gone. Ursa Major got bought out by AKG in the mid 80s. Stargates are pretty rare these days, I lucked into mine.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell