MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

AKG K812 "SUPERIOR REFERENCE HEADPHONES"

<< < (2/3) > >>

petekelly:
An 'accurate' headphone, isn't intended to sound 'good' as such. They are intended to reproduce the source material accurately.

When I use my Shure E500s and SRH840s for mastering, everything initially sounds hard and middley, as I'm used to using a pair of phones with a 'smiley eq' frequency response on a daily basis (for comfort and sound isolation) and my ears have gotten used to their sound signature.     

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: petekelly on April 23, 2014, 01:33:23 PM ---An 'accurate' headphone, isn't intended to sound 'good' as such. They are intended to reproduce the source material accurately.

When I use my Shure E500s and SRH840s for mastering, everything initially sounds hard and middley, as I'm used to using a pair of phones with a 'smiley eq' frequency response on a daily basis (for comfort and sound isolation) and my ears have gotten used to their sound signature.   

--- End quote ---

trust me studio reference "sound" can sound both good an accurate.  With headphones the amp plays a big role which gives every one different experiences.  accurate is not = boring and flat sounding.

The difference this time is I have no strict budget, since I am ready to spend money for a high end headphone in the price range of K812

petekelly:
???

How can any piece of equipment sound 'boring' :) 

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: petekelly on April 23, 2014, 02:05:53 PM ---???

How can any piece of equipment sound 'boring' :)

--- End quote ---

something that sounds non dynamic, non 3 dimensional, non-alive/organic, non detailed, lack of transients and transient detail,

The headpones I have tried so far does complete each other, but I would love to try
headphones that meets all criteria, since the price is not a real problem anymore I guess it will be easier.

Seren:
The grado's are not boring.

I don't know if they are 'flat' but they dig out detail in music relentlessly.....I heard sounds in my own music I'd not heard before - unfortunately not always for the best.

The stereo imaging is very very precise.

I'd suggest trying them out - preferably using music you know on a portable player you use a lot so you can hear the difference on equipment you are very familiar with.

The hi fi forums do rate them, but often people have numerous headphones they use for different sorts of music (rather than where they are) so there is a lot of personal opinion and disagreement.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version