Author Topic: Steve Roach, Kelly David - The Long Night Atmospheres for the Night Journey  (Read 1624 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile

New album by steve roach and kelly david is released

"THE LONG NIGHT is a deep-breathing sigh of the eternal nocturnal: gossamer atmospheres for the still hours of the night. Focusing on non-rhythmic, textural-harmonic electronic soundscapes, this collaboration unfurls like slow-moving, moonlit clouds. Although THE LONG NIGHT leaves the lighted world behind, its midnight path leads to a state of gleaming serenity and calmness. This music is contemplative, though not brooding: a meditative environment filled with open spaces and tendrils of sound composed of shifting subtle moods and gleaming electronic passages.

The collaboration began during several late night sessions at Kelly David's Denver studio, where the two artists carved-out the basic tracks using only analog modular instruments. The sonic palette expanded when the recording moved to Steve's Arizona Timeroom studio, bringing in a deeper textural quality utilizing processed acoustic sounds and an expanded collection of analog and digital synthesizers, plus subtle outboard processing. The final mix by Steve further uncovers a dimensional depth, delivering on the subtle and intricate tones of David's and Roach's years of journeying the ambient night skies through the long nights.

THE LONG NIGHT is a sixty-one minute mental excursion into unforeseen creative possibilities when the night becomes a special time beyond sleep, a contemplative zen noir of minimal radiant ambience."

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
I haven't picked this up yet. Has anyone else heard it yet and have any thoughts they're willing to share?

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
I quite enjoyed it, it's a bit drone-er than I expected.

Almost nothing Steve does isn't worth your time.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
"The Long Night" fully unfolds all the magic of nocturnal environments!!! Don't hesitate to explore this collaboration, because a highly rewarding listening experience awaits!!! Both, Steve & Kelly have done amazing work on this one, it can't be compared with anything Steve has recorded in last few years. Certainly worth the long wait!!!

Richard

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Have not picked this one up yet either. But I will when I arrive in Tucson for Steve's gig's in 2 weeks. I've heard two cuts over on Bandcamp. Looking forward to the album.

hdibrell

• View Profile
I'm really enjoying this one. I'm a big fan of both Roach and David and this release doesn't dissappoint.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I have not made up my mind totally about this album yet, maybe it will be a grower ? It might be.

My initial impression was 3.5 stars out of 5 stars.  But it might grow...I see the potential of it might do.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Picked this one up in Tucson on my recent road trip to see Steve perform at Solar Culture. Listening to the cd as I type this. Deep and dark. Digging this one.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
http://www.projekt.com/store/product/pro00302/

Projekt recently announced a 30-yr anniversary release of this that contains two extra discs with new material inspired from the same themes.

judd stephens

• View Profile
http://www.projekt.com/store/product/pro00302/

Projekt recently announced a 30-yr anniversary release of this that contains two extra discs with new material inspired from the same themes.

Wow, thanks Chris!  I would love to hear this. 

drone on

• View Profile
The Long Night is excellent.  Two thumbs up

judd stephens

• View Profile
This is a return to form for classic Roach collaborations. 

Richard Gurtler is right, this is not your recent style Steve Roach- I'm finding it more like late 90's, early 2000's a la Magnificent Void/Early Man/ Well of Souls vein.

My first impression while listening to headphones was it was a bit scary (my dark ambient days are mostly over).  But after listening to it in the living room I'm digging it.  In fact, after headphoning World's Edge disc 2 after the recent discussion here I'm wondering if it's in fact that some music is better suited for the big speakers over headphones.

I think Steve Roach's music is such an example.  When I'm listening to it with earbuds, it's like I'm getting thrown through the void. They just weren't as dimensional.   Those sounds actually work better "taking a step back from them",  bouncing off of walls, in a more cavernous space rather than bouncing around inside your head (because my head, you know, not to be all full of it but it's not that cavernous  :) )

While a lot of music is better or really unique experience on the headphones, Roach's style is almost always big and broad.  I don't know, could have just been the different times and moods I was in, but either way The Long Night is a nice listen.

drone on

• View Profile
Same here.  Play this on a home system, no headphones

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
I've given this a few listens both ways. Although I like some of the details that come through with headphones, I really love the way this album fills a room. Grade A work.