Author Topic: Maybe Forgotten Forever, Ruben Garcia gone.  (Read 561 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Maybe Forgotten Forever, Ruben Garcia gone.
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
I just found out from Barry (A Produce's) wife, that his long time friend and collaborator Ruben Garcia is gone. The title of this subject is the title of one of Ruben's album that A Produce put out a few years ago, and I have to say its sadly too fitting as from what I understand he died almost a year ago. I haven't seen any info to support this but this information came indirectly from Harold Budd. I didn't know Ruben very well, I only talked with him on the phone a few times. I had the pleasure to master a few of his later albums. My favorite being Through The Looking Glass the very last release on A Produce's Transport label. I'll be listening to some of his work today.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Juta Takahashi

• View Profile
    • Juta Takahashi | Official Website
Re: Maybe Forgotten Forever, Ruben Garcia gone.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:14 AM »
Very sad news. I love his recent play on "Nighthawks". RIP, Ruben.

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
This is terrible news.  I've tried getting in touch with Ruben for a few months now, just because I've not heard from him in quite a while.  I played on two of Ruben's cd's, and I was thrilled to do so- he had a great touch with electronics, and a completely mesmerizing way of playing the piano. 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
This is sad news. Thanks for letting us know, Loren.

I remember when I first got to know Barry, he very enthusiastically suggested I check out Ruben's music (and I ended up selling Ruben's solo CDs in the old Hypnos mail order catalogs).
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »
Great artist, sad to hear this.  Thank you for posting the info here.

Bert/SonicImmersion.org

• View Profile
    • SonicImmersion.org
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:29:14 AM »
This is unfortunate to hear;
as already remarked by others, he was an accomplished musician and in the years I kept regular contact with him he more than once told he could be out of touch for a while as he didn't like computers and therefor also wouldn't check any e-mail messages. So instead, we had some nice phone calls. It was in fact Mr Craig who introduced Ruben to me, to check him and his music out, which I did and wasn't the least disappointed;
Barry also help me out on reconnecting with Ruben when those periods of silence became longer; I remember Ruben as a nice, open and honest person who shared the same passion for music as did his friends Barry, Harold etc. He eventually send me about all of his privately released cds, I reviewed them all for KLEM EM fanzine, later E-dition magazine and they're also up on my current website. I for one think his emotive, if not intelligent music deserved much more attention, on which I hopefully contributed a bit by spreading the word through my writings and talks with others.

Cherio my friend, may you rest in peace in Heaven.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
Thank you so much, Bert, for sharing your nice memories about Ruben.

Richard