Author Topic: My review of "A Circular Quest" CD by Alio Die & Zeit  (Read 368 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "A Circular Quest" CD by Alio Die & Zeit
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »

Alio Die & Zeit "A Circular Quest" CD

"A Circular Quest" is a 5th chapter of collaborations between Italian ambient sculptors Stefano Musso aka Alio Die and Tommaso Cimò aka Zeit. Four of them are regular CD albums on Hic Sunt Leones while the remaining one is a live document from 2007 released as a special CDr edition on the same label. Out since June 2013, the album comes, as usual for all HSL releases, with attractive, glossy 6-panel digipak featuring beautiful pictures of some, I believe, Venetian palaces.

Opening intro "Going Far" clocks only to nearly 3 minutes, but it delves deeply into helically reverberating and mindscaping drone terrains. The next piece, "Brahman", is by far longer, reaching almost 23-minute mark. Hanging above is slightly harsher, buzzing monochromatic drone with intangible chant fragments meshing with meandering tapestry of distinctive sounds. After about 10 minutes more exotic layer silently sneaks in, then the whole weave slowly unfolds into livelily tinkling sequences, although the composition keeps its strongly contemplative dimension. Soothingly embracing seashore sounds reveal the title track, "A Circular Quest", but soon they are joined by quietly circling, distinguishably flavored electroacoustic textures, which set a beautifully pensive feel. Distant chants stealthily ride atop. Magnificent!!! The next "Dharma" is another longer composition and it dives into sublimely flatlined realms, both immense and gracious. Hauntingly mesmerizing tinkles and tranquil field recordings join the fore and give to this piece an impression of utterly gorgeous sonic paradise, presenting Alio Die & Zeit at its most immersing and meditative. Joyfully twinkling sequence notes percolate during the second half. A true masterpiece!!! The closing piece is entitled "Returning" and as its title indicates, this shorter undulating dronescape goes back to where it all begun.

"A Circular Quest" is stirringly crafted and exceptionally fragranced journey by Alio Die & Zeit, certainly another masterful work by Stefano Musso & Tommaso Cimò!!! Yes, this album gets my highest recommendation!!! And Alio Die keeps on excelling, January 21st, 2014, was a street date for his newest collaborative album "Amidst The Circling Spires" with, in Berkeley, California, based voice virtuoso Sylvi Alli, so stay tuned...

Richard Gürtler (Jan 23, 2014, Bratislava, Slovakia)

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: My review of "A Circular Quest" CD by Alio Die & Zeit
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »
It's a great album, and I'm surprised Alio Die didn't release more music in 2013.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Rebirth, available now!