Author Topic: Long forgotten or rediscovered albums in your collection  (Read 1116 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Long forgotten or rediscovered albums in your collection
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Have you unearthed from your mountain of CD's lately something you forgot about or never gave a really good listen to?  I've been on this kick lately of primarily listening to stuff I never play, with surprising results.  So far here's what I got:

Ian Boddy--- the DiN label download series.  Man, much of this material should have been on CD and is even better than the regular releases.

Cell--Live at Kumharas 2006.  This is simply a psy trance masterpiece,from this Ultimae artist.  Can't believe I let this one gather dust for so long.

What are your dug up treasures?

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Long forgotten or rediscovered albums in your collection
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
"Cell--Live at Kumharas 2006.  This is simply a psy trance masterpiece."

Totally agree. It's in my all-time favorite list. Brilliant piece of work.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
I recently pulled out Broken Voyage by Kelly David--after the new release with Roach came out. I recall liking this when it came out 12 years ago, but I had completely forgotten about it. It stands the test of time well. But, I'm a bit reluctant to admit that some of the tribal ambient layers don't quite resonate with me the same way they used to.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
And I had that Cell album on CD and sold it!!!  Damn do I regret that one, impossible to find on disc..not even listed on Discogs.

The Kelly David I did have, bought when it first came out around 2002.  I remember liking it, maybe have to reinvestigate...

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »
Got to agree on the Cell album - excellent stuff. 

I just stumbled across something last week and now I'm totally forgetting what it was.  Ack!  I can't remember. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »

I just stumbled across something last week and now I'm totally forgetting what it was.  Ack!  I can't remember.

Temporal Arc?  ;)

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
recently rediscovered

feed your head comps 1-4
barramundi comps 1-4
from here to tranquility comps 1-5

sublimely varied listening
moments and now very collectible    h

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
Hadn't heard the Hypnos comp Weightless, Effortless for ages.  What a great album!

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »

Temporal Arc?  ;)

hahahahahahahaha  Good thing I wasn't taking a drink when I read that!  When exactly *is* that guy going to release another album!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
Cell - Live at Kumharas is superb.

As is the studio one on Ultimae, hope he releases another soon.

Also have a few of the Din download albums, very good music indeed.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »
Tom Heasley- On The Sensations of Tone  I gave this one a good head phoning last night, gotta say I love it, and probably haven't given it the attention it could have received.  A few years back there was a "dream collaborations" topic on this forum, and I think I put Heasley with Oophoi-  to me these two were kindered spirits, and it would have been terrific- Heasley's stuff is DEEP.  And the processed tuba sounds give it a nice, unconventional sound by ambient standards.  It's not terrifyingly dark, nor is it ethereal or pretty.  It's a mesmerizing sound and as good as the deepest Oophoi material.

Feeling like a broken record mentioning this here in the past  ;) but I also like going back to Steve Roach's World's Edge, actually just Disc 2.   It's an exactly 60 minute one track wonder of Steve's career.  Someone actually gave me World's Edge for my high school graduation back in '92!  Still holding its own after so long, I forget about this one having so much music now on my itunes and computer, but I still give it a good listen when in the mood.

Also just occasionally going back to the good stuff from the early and mid 90's... hearts of space fathom, Suspended Memories, anything by Tuu, Kenneth Newby, etc. all are ones that I marvel at from a different but equally amazed perspective when listening again, after a long break.

nels

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
I too like Roach's "World's Edge".  I also picked this up circa 1992, around the time I saw him perform live in Hermosa Beach, California.  There were several notables in the crowd that evening including Michael Stearns and Walter Holland.  Before the show I was standing outside talking to this woman when this German fellow joined our conversation.  She asked him a question and he mentioned something about it having been an appropriate time to leave the group.  The German was Paul Haslinger and he was referring to having left Tangerine Dream.  I didn't really recognize him at the time as I became a bigger TD fan a few years later on.   Chuck Oken Jr. was also on stage performing with Steve that night.

Speaking of old listens, I received in the mail today "Set On" by Aube.  It even came in the same slate/shale packaging (generated by Vince at Manifold Records) that I believe is similar to Roach's "Early Man" release off the same label.  "Set On" is really terrific ... as is "Early Man"! 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:36:02 AM »
That second disc of World's Edge is stunning - not listened to it for some time so should give it a spin sometime soon. I like listening to it with one of those flashing/strobing glasses on.

Don't get a lot of time to listen to music nowadays so much of my collection would fit under this heading.

Everynow and then I love to dig out the Amplexus 3" series that included Vidna Obmana, Steve Roach, Ron Boots and Djen Ajakan Shean - great music on every disc of the set.

must have a look through everything and see what grabs me....

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
Two older releases I've recently rediscovered are:

Electro Harmonix (love the combination of Tetsu Inoue and Jonah Sharp)
The Pool - Quiet Stories (a very obscure cassette from the mid-80s in an ambient vein).

Forrest

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 11:47:23 AM »

Klaus Wiese - Opal

AFAIK it was only available in very small quantities via Klaus´website and given to selected therapist he was in contact with - haven´t seen it offered second hand so far.

Very rich and slow evolving drones - peaceful and extremely meditative

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
Two older releases I've recently rediscovered are:

Electro Harmonix (love the combination of Tetsu Inoue and Jonah Sharp)
The Pool - Quiet Stories (a very obscure cassette from the mid-80s in an ambient vein).

I would love to get my hands on Electro Harmonix. Another limited pressing from Fax that's impossible to find.

I have an odd one: Jon Hassel - The Surgeon Of The Nightsky Restores Dead Things By The Power Of Sound. I first bought it back in '87 when it came out, and it didn't grab me. A few years went by and I was in a record store and heard this amazing sound. I was stunned that it was the same album I'd dismissed years before. Went home and re-discovered it. One of his best.

I think I need to randomly pick something out of my library. I also have a lot of Steve Roach I haven't listened to in years.
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
Electro Harmonix was reissued on Fax just before Peter's death.  You can order it from Cue Records, Germany.  There are usually copies for sale at Discogs.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
Electro Harmonix was reissued on Fax just before Peter's death.  You can order it from Cue Records, Germany.  There are usually copies for sale at Discogs.

They have the reissue of Electro Harmonix available through Amazon, too, for about $30 bucks.  That's where I got mine.

Forrest

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
 :)
The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine 
 ;)