Author Topic: Sad day, one my HG3 Speakers suddenly got defective :'(  (Read 523 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Sad day, one my HG3 Speakers suddenly got defective :'(
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »
Sad day, one my HG3 Speakers suddenly got defective  :( :(
I am unable to find any thing about the warranty  :'(

I recorded a video with audio so you can hear what it sounds like, also recorded the right speakers to compare them..

http://delafil.se/key=17ce2285ab8d8b5cef7b40a5bd57de04

http://videobam.com/IWjda (video stream lower quality but no need to download)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:45:42 PM by Immersion »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Sad day, one my HG3 Speakers suddenly got defective :'(
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:50 PM »
Sounds like a bad cable. I'd replace the cables running to the speaker first and see if that helps. Sometimes connectors go bad and sound like that. If that doesn't do it than it's probably internal, maybe your crossover is going out. Good luck, I hate it when gear dies, my Hafler amp in my studio died last month so I know the pain.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
Do you get the same sound in your headphones when connected to the same source  that drives the monitors....if yes then its not the monitors.  As Loren said change the cables or change the monitors if you have some older ones around.

Also look to all the sample rates between various device...I have a feeling it could be something get restricted.  I have had issues with devices not communicating correctly that has created similar problems easily resolved.

Is this brittle distortion coming from just one or both monitors...you say one but you show both in the video

It is a real pain and frustrating because you have to do all this detective work...pull everything apart and re-patch it all and pull some hair out and maybe send it out for repairs when it could be a simple thing you over look or did not know you needed to even look....I have done just this.

Hoping for a simple fix!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:29:49 AM »
Sounds like a bad cable. I'd replace the cables running to the speaker first and see if that helps. Sometimes connectors go bad and sound like that. If that doesn't do it than it's probably internal, maybe your crossover is going out. Good luck, I hate it when gear dies, my Hafler amp in my studio died last month so I know the pain.

I did try that now switched right and left channel I did also swap channels on the monitor outs on the DAC problem is still there so I think we can exclude that it is the cable or the DAC.

Another friend told me it might be the filters in the speakers that have been failing.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:01 AM »
Do you get the same sound in your headphones when connected to the same source  that drives the monitors....if yes then its not the monitors.  As Loren said change the cables or change the monitors if you have some older ones around.

Also look to all the sample rates between various device...I have a feeling it could be something get restricted.  I have had issues with devices not communicating correctly that has created similar problems easily resolved.

Is this brittle distortion coming from just one or both monitors...you say one but you show both in the video

It is a real pain and frustrating because you have to do all this detective work...pull everything apart and re-patch it all and pull some hair out and maybe send it out for repairs when it could be a simple thing you over look or did not know you needed to even look....I have done just this.

Hoping for a simple fix!

The DAC sounds normal with headphones. I have also tried the different monitor outputs, and also switched right and left cable, still it is only the left monitor that sounds bad.

If it was the sample rate, it would audible in both right and left channel.

The the brittle distortion comes only from one speaker the left.

Yes it is really painful.. I hope that PMI/Trident care for their customers though, I am unable to find any information regarding warranty.

Since I do not want to void possible warranty I do not want to open up them, also I do not want to do that since I am not a certified technicians, I will most likely need to send these to a service center.   Luckily I bought them from a swedish dealer maybe they will pay all the costs I hope so..

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

The the brittle distortion comes only from one speaker the left.

I couldn't tell if the brittle distortion was the speaker or part of the sound of the music.  :D  Next time you might want to use something more obvious like a piano or strings. To me it sounds like the tweeter is going in and out, like it works sometimes but not always. A faulty crossover could be the problem, could be just a bad solider joint or a loose cable inside the speaker. You might want to listen at a lower volume, put your ear close to the tweeter and see if the tweeter is working or not.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:47:05 PM »
I forgot to tell you all, the problem has been solved, I did not need to send it back luckily.
I am still angry at trident and PMI for putting me in the situation, cause PMI told me to send it back to UK and also they would charge me per hour.. rotten.. I send the same question to the designer of the speakers "harvey" he told me that it could be "oxidation"  in the pots or the swivals. The solution was to "Try turning them back and forth rapidly" this magic trick did solve the problem... However it was not a pleasant experience.. I am out of warranty time obviously and right now I am uncertain how the "longevity"  of these speakers how many years they will hold.. cause to buy speakers in this price range is a long term experience.. I am awaiting of there is some "maintenance" tips that would help the speakers in good condition..

little bit about the contrusction of the speaker and what leads to the problem

"That left the problem of edge diffraction from having the mids and highs on a flat baffle. That's when I came up with the idea of a rotating cylinder, but I couldn't use wires to run to the mid and high speakers; enough twisting and they'd eventually break.

That's when I came up with the "flashlight battery" solution. Run a wire to a contact at the top and bottom of the cylinder and use spring-loaded contacts to make the connections. Plus, rotating the cylinder would also clean the contacts. By placing the high crossover, and the level pots, inside the cylinder, I only needed two wires to go to it, and that worked perfectly.

Anyway, to make an even longer story shorter, that concept allowed me to use a unique set of drivers (and a design) that I would never have considered without this system approach.

There's a lot more to this design that I'm leaving out, but lemme just say I've put two years of my life into making this as perfect as I could. "

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »
obviously this problem is kind of a common problem... for all analogue equipment, the problem with oxidation or lack of use, even with expensive Neve equipment if you do not use the knobs etc.. you will eventually get the problem..  yeah.. you always learn new things..I have certainly not thought about the oxidation factor before..sounded kind of strange first but seem to be a kind of common problem..
especially in countries with unstable climate  which goes from warm to cold fast or air with high humidity.

Crossing_The_Threshold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
Why did you purchase this speakers in the first place? I would buy a pair of barefoots with that money...
They look like a tank.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
The Barefoot Micro Main 27 / 3 way with integrated subs are $10,000+...what  a gearslutz you are.....and I say this with the most respect. ;)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:11:32 AM »
Why did you purchase this speakers in the first place? I would buy a pair of barefoots with that money...
They look like a tank.

yes Julio did already said the barefoots are in a different price range.  If you read the reviews of the HG3 you will read what makes them unique is that they are compared to speakers in that price range also but a lot more cheap, and the price has gone down since I bought them also, if you ask me personally I do not see any competition when it comes to of good price value and if you want a high range speaker but do not have the money to buy them.

in the barefoot price range I would probably be more interested in Geithain RL901k.

Anyway I am quite satisied with my HG3, but that is usually until you try something new that is even better..always room for improvements.

Any way, my problems of "oxidation" in the speakers have not been any problem any more,  I have not sent them in for any service they have been running smooth since a long time now...

My regret is that I should had waited maybe 6 months to buy the speakers, I did missintepret the market since they rewivews I thought they would go up in price not go down..that made me to hurry to buy them as fast as I could even before I had other equionment to use them they stood preety much in the cardboard for about 6 months.

Crossing_The_Threshold

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
I was refering to the micromain 35 in the 5k euros range, that was what you paid for the HG3?

But good to know you sorted the oxidation problem out. :)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
I paid about 3500 euro for mine...