Author Topic: Cables, what do you use to connect your synths?  (Read 411 times)

Cosmic Fabric

• View Profile
Cables, what do you use to connect your synths?
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Hello,

What cables do you use to connect your synths?

My setup is going to be like this:

Synths

Patchbay (Samson S-Patch Plus)

and into a RME Fireface UFX.

Do you record in mono or stereo? (adding fx and panning later in daw)

Is it needed to use balanced cables? Seems most synths use normal high impedance signal like electric guitars.

Any recomendations? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:06:59 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Cables, what do you use to connect your synths?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
Mogami with Nutrik connectors, some monster cables and Acoustic Zen monitor inter conectors. 

For custom cables in the US I usually shop here....http://www.proaudiola.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
I use mogami cables mostly.. clocking cable I use klotz with Nutrik connectors..

If you want a really good deal in EU who do all mogami cables including AES snake cables let me know..there is a site in UK who sell them.. (to find mogami in EU is a problem besides the most popular microphone cables)

Cosmic Fabric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
I use mogami cables mostly.. clocking cable I use klotz with Nutrik connectors..

If you want a really good deal in EU who do all mogami cables including AES snake cables let me know..there is a site in UK who sell them.. (to find mogami in EU is a problem besides the most popular microphone cables)

Yes mogami are recommended all over the place. Thanks mate, I will bug you about those soon :)

Does anyone knows if using the unbalanced cables from the synths with a balanced patchbay (samson s patch plus) will fu.... things up?

cheers

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »

Yes mogami are recommended all over the place. Thanks mate, I will bug you about those soon :)

Does anyone knows if using the unbalanced cables from the synths with a balanced patchbay (samson s patch plus) will fu.... things up?

cheers

It is true mogami is the religion the most studio people follows however there is also another religion of people saying that cables does not matter... it is up to every one to decide how much you care about the audio signal I decided to buy the mogami.. to buy expensive gears and cheap cables is not logical.

Alright the Dealer in uk is http://www.hhb.co.uk/  it is slightly cheaper then http://shop.synthax.de  which now also have web store added a webstore recently..  recently however slightly more expensive  also musicstore.de have some of the more popular mogami cables..

Cosmic Fabric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »

cheers

It is true mogami is the religion the most studio people follows however there is also another religion of people saying that cables does not matter... it is up to every one to decide how much you care about the audio signal I decided to buy the mogami.. to buy expensive gears and cheap cables is not logical.

Alright the Dealer in uk is http://www.hhb.co.uk/  it is slightly cheaper then http://shop.synthax.de  which now also have web store added a webstore recently..  recently however slightly more expensive  also musicstore.de have some of the more popular mogami cables..

...But which ones are more indicated for synths? Will the guitar ones be ok?

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
As the frugal musician that I am, I use Hosa cables.  :-[

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 03:18:05 AM »
I can vouch for Neutrik connectors, I made 3 guitar leads about 25 years ago with neutrik jacks and they all still work fine !

I bought some Van Damme patch cable ('258-006') fairly recently to make up some general interconnects as it was reasonably priced and highly spoken of (whatever that means :)).

If you can solder and strip cables / fit connectors, you can save yourself a lot of money !
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:43:21 AM by petekelly »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

I'm even more frugal, I make my own.  ;D  I use Belden cable with Neutrik connectors, it's pretty cheap if you buy a box of cable and cut them to length. Mogami is fine stuff but over priced and over hyped. As for Hosa, I've been hosed by them too many times.  :P :D Actually I haven't been, but I think they are a bit pricey too for what you get.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »

I'm even more frugal, I make my own.  ;D  I use Belden cable with Neutrik connectors, it's pretty cheap if you buy a box of cable and cut them to length. Mogami is fine stuff but over priced and over hyped. As for Hosa, I've been hosed by them too many times.  :P :D Actually I haven't been, but I think they are a bit pricey too for what you get.

Mogami is overpriced yes, but for me they feel like a safe card.. when you buy them you bascially do not need to worry about "cables"  they just do their job...

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
Mogami is overpriced yes, but for me they feel like a safe card.. when you buy them you bascially do not need to worry about "cables"  they just do their job...

Same with Belden, they have been making high quality cable for years. Many pro studios here in the US use Belden cables. I started using them after a friend of mine who built studios for a living told me about them.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Cosmic Fabric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:49:35 AM »
I've ordered some Mogami and Van Damme, I will make some tests before I bulk purchase.