Author Topic: ROACH Road Trip. . . .the Long Trip  (Read 570 times)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
ROACH Road Trip. . . .the Long Trip
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
Sorry analog and digital friends, but I have to share my latest road trip.

Friday morning, with Steve Roach tickets in hand, bag packed and waiting for my friend (Ken) since high school (75-78) to arrive so that we can start on the long deep road to Tucson, AZ. We left the city of Huntington Beach, CA at 930am (half hour behind schedule). Made an hour stop at Alpine Beer Company to "stock up" for the weekend. Back on Hwy 8 east for Tucson. Almost 6 hours later we stopped in at Dragoon Brewery for a quick bite & beer. We arrive at Solar Culture in downtown Tucson with 5 minutes before Steve begins the immersion trip. A quick "hi" to Steve and we take to the floor and the trip begins! After 8 hours of driving through the beautiful southwestern desert, the 2 hours of deep medicine brought me back to life. Before I knew it the time was almost midnight and the sounds were still in the space. Quiet music was in the background while a few people remain inside. It was like a high trip into the stratosfear and then back down to quiet zone. The Solar Culture is the perfect venue to see Steve perform at his best. Inside were two meditation caves at both corners and crystal spheres throughout with art on the walls. This space was meant for Steve's music. It was time to check out of the zone and check into our motel.
Saturday wasn't much different. We headed back to the downtown area at 10am for a couple quick stops before our noon workshop with Steve. My first workshop. 4 hours of playing, meeting new people from other parts of this land and making music happen. Four hours of learning and understanding. Loved playing with the "tools" of medicine. Also learned a lot of new things about Steve and his music. A bite to eat and some beers to wash down it down and 4 hours later we are about to begin another journey at the Culture.
Saturday nights performance put me into an even deeper sleep during the 2+ hours of soundscapes. I remember at the end of my dream, I am hearing voices with a quiet sound in the background and that sound is getting louder as the voices start to dissapear. A different night, a different journey.
Sunday morning we pack up and head out of Tucson back to the war zone in SoCal. Eight hours later we are back to reality. But the 24 hours of meditation back at the Solar Culture has re-energize my body till the next road trip. Thank you Steve.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: ROACH Road Trip. . . .the Long Trip
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
I enjoyed reading that - thanks for sharing.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
Sounds like a great experience.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
Very cool!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
Yes, a very nice reading, thanks a lot for sharing these memorable moments!!!

Richard

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »
Good story....2 concerts and a hands on workshop in-between. What an experience!

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Sounds like an awesome experience. I think it's really cool of him to do workshops like that.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:57 AM »
sounds like a nice trip!
I envy you.