Author Topic: AKG K812 "SUPERIOR REFERENCE HEADPHONES"  (Read 1207 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
AKG K812 "SUPERIOR REFERENCE HEADPHONES"
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »

I am asking myself the question , should I buy the k812 and save up for them ? is it the ultimate studio headphone for music production ?

my DT880 does not deliver the sparkly high end for ambient music that I have in my k240 studio.
I am happy with my DT880 for other styles of music but the high end is very saturated...

I have heard a lot of good things about K812, usually AKG have had their strengths and weaknesses, but
this headphones seem to getting good feedback and seem to be more balanced through the whole spectrum...

The minus side is...they are very very expensive...I wonder how the price curve will develop during the next coming months..or if we can expect this pricing staying like this for a longer period.

The k812 seem to on the outside to have much in common with the K701 and K702 but in fact it has nothing in common complete new design and driver.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: AKG K812 "SUPERIOR REFERENCE HEADPHONES"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
it turns out that these headphones do not get a very flat measurements...we will see if other sites get similar  results...
sometimes there is sample variance also in the initial cycle of a new headphone product.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK812SN001130.pdf

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »
I have AKG K702 Reference Studio Headphones and love them. The high end is perfect in my opinion, the overall range 10Hz to 40KHz.

http://www.akg.com/K702-1039.html?pid=1209

as I stated k812 and k701 have 0% in common :)
but I am glad you liked your k702.  Around the same time k702 was released I did a lot of research I ended up
with the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro. I find this very good for guitar driven music like metal.
But for electronic music I want new headphones. Well I guess it was about 8 years ago I bought my DT880 it is high time to look into alterntives and buy a new pair but yet this many years later there is no "obvious" choice.
I guess if Beyerdynamic release some headphone for studio use with tesla drivers I will be very intetreted the T1 sounds more "good" then "honest" perhaps.  But my DT1350 have tesla drivers I really like the fast transient response in these, all details sounds very fast and clear.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
I had beyerdynamic for many years - then got a pair of Grado 325si - I'd highly recommend trialling these too.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
I had beyerdynamic for many years - then got a pair of Grado 325si - I'd highly recommend trialling these too.

I have had the chance to try the Grado, I know one place in my town who got them..I should maybe try them.

I want to point out, it is not a problem to sound headphones that sound extremely good, the hard part is to find headphones which sounds both good AND have accurate with good measurements. Using them for studio use they are simply useless without them being accurate you can't mix with them.. I do not know how flat and accurate the Grados are, but I know they are highly regarded on HiFi forums. 

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
An 'accurate' headphone, isn't intended to sound 'good' as such. They are intended to reproduce the source material accurately.

When I use my Shure E500s and SRH840s for mastering, everything initially sounds hard and middley, as I'm used to using a pair of phones with a 'smiley eq' frequency response on a daily basis (for comfort and sound isolation) and my ears have gotten used to their sound signature.     
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:46:47 PM by petekelly »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »
An 'accurate' headphone, isn't intended to sound 'good' as such. They are intended to reproduce the source material accurately.

When I use my Shure E500s and SRH840s for mastering, everything initially sounds hard and middley, as I'm used to using a pair of phones with a 'smiley eq' frequency response on a daily basis (for comfort and sound isolation) and my ears have gotten used to their sound signature.   

trust me studio reference "sound" can sound both good an accurate.  With headphones the amp plays a big role which gives every one different experiences.  accurate is not = boring and flat sounding.

The difference this time is I have no strict budget, since I am ready to spend money for a high end headphone in the price range of K812

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
???

How can any piece of equipment sound 'boring' :) 

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »
???

How can any piece of equipment sound 'boring' :)

something that sounds non dynamic, non 3 dimensional, non-alive/organic, non detailed, lack of transients and transient detail,

The headpones I have tried so far does complete each other, but I would love to try
headphones that meets all criteria, since the price is not a real problem anymore I guess it will be easier.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »
The grado's are not boring.

I don't know if they are 'flat' but they dig out detail in music relentlessly.....I heard sounds in my own music I'd not heard before - unfortunately not always for the best.

The stereo imaging is very very precise.

I'd suggest trying them out - preferably using music you know on a portable player you use a lot so you can hear the difference on equipment you are very familiar with.

The hi fi forums do rate them, but often people have numerous headphones they use for different sorts of music (rather than where they are) so there is a lot of personal opinion and disagreement.....

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
Quote from: Immersion
[/quote

trust me studio reference "sound" can sound both good an accurate.  With headphones the amp plays a big role which gives every one different experiences.  accurate is not = boring and flat sounding.

I use a DT770 (250 Ohm) which in a price range available for many people and they sound extremely close (frequency and spatial balance) to my Neumann monitors even by using the headphone amp of my monitor controller (also tested on the sound card).what im doing wrong?  ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
Quote from: Immersion
[/quote

I use a DT770 (250 Ohm) which in a price range available for many people and they sound extremely close (frequency and spatial balance) to my Neumann monitors even by using the headphone amp of my monitor controller (also tested on the sound card).what im doing wrong?  ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

My DT880 pro when doing A/B test with monitors sounds very close to to my HG3 monitors which both have flat frequency response , but it is mostly the frequency curve that is similar, so it is easy to fool yourself when doing quick A/B tests.
So they sound very close in that regard. But I have tried enough headphones to know that headphones have it's strengths and weaknesses, that is why I am looking for a more high end headphone.  I do not have the same 3D sound in my DT880 like in Sennheiser HD 800 for instance..  I also miss a more "sparkling "  treble,  I guess the mids and bass is ok.. but DT880 is strange they sound so different with different kind of music, they can sound very full and amazing with some music and not very impressive with other styles of music, I would not recommend them for ambient music. I am using my Antelope Eclipse Headphone amp currently.

I have never heard the DT770  so I can't comment on them to be honest.
But the rumours says they are for people who prefer more "bass pressure".
I am not a bass guy, I tend to focus my ears on the upper range but what I want is a well balanced headphone.
With non excessive bass, big bass does not impress me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:05:27 PM by Immersion »