MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

Reverb Plugin Sound Demos

(1/7) > >>

Julio Di Benedetto:
After the thread I started on other options than my Eventide Eclipse the software comments got me curious so I downloaded these demos to hear whats happening in the plugin world.  At this point Ive been listing for several days and I have not formed an opinion about any preference one over the other.  They are all good!

To keep it as even a playing filed as possible I used factory patches for Medium Hall or as close to what was available.  Only tweaking I did was to low the output from the plugin on a few as they were too loud compared to the majority . The graphics are not the actual setting I used just pictures I found on the web.

An interesting note is that the algorithm designer for the Exponential Audio Plugins R2 & Phoenix Revreb is the same man who designed the Lexicon Hardware PCM96 & PCM Native Reverbs...Michael Carnes.

Lexicon, the company impressed me as the demo of the PCM Native plugins expired before my iLok 2 arrived. In a day they had deposited a new 3 month trial to my iLok account.

The Verb I found most intuitive was the Softubes TSAR 1...very easy to get what I wanted quickly and with not much tweaking.....the opposite would be Aether, way to many parameters and not easy to see whereas the Sonnox verb is deep but makes more sense when editing IMHO.

All reverbs have some sort of tone shaping / eq but none have the scope that the Sonnox Reverb offers...handles like a scaled down Sonnox Eq.  I found it very handy for shaping.  Sure you can drop in Eq plugin before a reverb but this is all in one and cuts down on cpu usage.

Most  plugins did not work the cpu much on my 17" Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz Intel i7 with 8gb ram, except the Relab LX480.  Its a liitle bit more hungry then the others.

Ive left out alot but these are some of the best I found after a good deal of researching.

The patch from the Matrix 12 is an evolving buzzy 1 minute recording completely dry with no eq, compression or limiting.  Personally I can't stand listing to the patch anymore after days of auditioning...going to delete the thing from the synth ;D.  The patch does show off the verbs well as its quite dynamic.  The recording is 44.1k @ 16 bits

All demos are ilok based except Aether & the Valhalla verbs which cut out after 45 seconds.

Please suggest plugins you think should be included.

The differences are subtle so careful auditioning with headphones recommended.

Enjoy

Added a Guitar Recording kindly provided By Pete Kelly / Igneous Flame....http://www.luminasounds.com

Same preset was used as on the Synth patch except I change the wet dry mix to 60% wet as most plugins washed out the guitar at around 100% which the Synths mix level is set at.

Oberheim Matrix 12 Dry Patch

Guitar Dry

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Synth
Guitar

Here is a link to the Synth reverb demo wav files for those who wish to load them up in their daws for closer auditioning.....https://www.dropbox.com/sh/osj98tu6mv4xcnq/dC7C_gjBSQ

Ekstasis:
it is hard to do the "ultimate" test and comparison test, what we have here is basicually a comparision with different preset ,  different presets can sound completely different.  Sure certain characteristics can be found but they can also been changed with different settings.  I use mostly the the PCM Random hall I always open up the filter completely to now have the reverb to "cut" anything especially the high  frequencies, it is only then the Lexicon reverb sounds good and "open" for me atleast for ambient music..   these LP filters that seem to be present in many presets in the test , it is for me what makes them sound "cheap" and not open and clear...

From this test I can see no clear winner..I would love to try the Phoenix reverb myself.. heard good things about it, and it is "true stereo" unlike for instance the Lexicon reverb...which is it's main criticism .

Sure we all love soundcloud cause it is fast and easy to share links, but Also I would be careful to judge a test done from Soundcloud the sound quality is not representative.

petekelly:
Great post Julio,

Will give it some serious 'ears' ASAP, I've done similiar tests myself, to find the 'best' reverb.

Julio Di Benedetto:

--- Quote from: Immersion on February 17, 2014, 10:42:04 PM ---Sure we all love soundcloud cause it is fast and easy to share links, but Also I would be careful to judge a test done from Soundcloud the sound quality is not representative.

--- End quote ---

Hi Immersion, the possible audio degradation from sound cloud processing happened to all files so it does not invalidate the test or better put the "experience".  This is definitely not scientific.  Perhaps different sounds like piano or vocals would be more telling but I mostly use synths.

After some thought, well days of thinking my personal favorites are the R2, TSAR 1 & Lexicon Random Hall.  Still need to track down which Reverb lends itself best for that "Lost in Space" sound. 

Heres a long gearslutz thread where the designers of LexiconPCM native, Exponential Audio & Valhalla talk about their verbs.  The link drops you in at page 14 where it starts to get interesting  http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/717515-2012-best-reverb-plug-ins-until-now-14.html

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: Julio Di Benedetto on February 18, 2014, 07:03:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: Immersion on February 17, 2014, 10:42:04 PM ---Sure we all love soundcloud cause it is fast and easy to share links, but Also I would be careful to judge a test done from Soundcloud the sound quality is not representative.

--- End quote ---

Hi Immersion, the possible audio degradation from sound cloud processing happened to all files so it does not invalidate the test or better put the "experience".  This is definitely not scientific.  Perhaps different sounds like piano or vocals would be more telling but I mostly use synths.

After some thought, well days of thinking my personal favorites are the R2, TSAR 1 & Lexicon Random Hall.  Still need to track down which Reverb lends itself best for that "Lost in Space" sound. 

Heres a long gearslutz thread where the designers of LexiconPCM native, Exponential Audio & Valhalla talk about their verbs.  The link drops you in at page 14 where it starts to get interesting  http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/717515-2012-best-reverb-plug-ins-until-now-14.html

--- End quote ---

Yeah the main problem with soundcloud is when you upload mp3 files since the file will be converted two times. But I assume you uploaded the wav files.

Valhalla shimmer reverb is the only one I have used, of valhalla family, to me it was very good to create big modulation reverb tails for pads.
But I still prefer to use my lexicon reverb for transperecy. But the shimmer reverb was really greate to create "high energy" modulated reverb soundscapes..

I recorded this little improvisation with valhalla shimmer  on keyboard.
http://picosong.com/YZFt/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version