Author Topic: Reverb Plugin Sound Demos  (Read 2009 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Reverb Plugin Sound Demos
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »
Found this just now...really reflects what Paul was talking about.  Give it it chance its not your usual sales demo.... it may surprise you, it did me!

Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb Plug-In Demo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:34:05 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »

I use the Lexicon PCM bundle (which like the PCM 96 which I also own) really is not what most of us old timers would consider "the lexicon sound". The PCM plugs/PCM96 are really closer to a TC M3000/M4000 style of verb as they are very open, pristine and clear. They are great for those types of high quality verbs where you are not sure what the verb is doing to your sound until you take it away.

If you want to get the full Lexicon sound the idea is to mix it with the Leixon Effects bundle, it has delays pitch shifting, chorus and all that..
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en/products/pcm-native-effects-plug-in-bundle

The Random Hall is the "lexicon sound"  it is the one I use,  the new Hall algorithm is a completely new algorithm made for the PCM96,  I guess the new hall algorithm is more similiar to the TC reverbs cause it is more natural.

I just want to tell you all that, the Effects bundle exist, it is quite important when for instance we compare with Valhalla reverb which has pitch shifting.

Me personally when I make ambient music I tend to mix reverbs,  I use toraverb and random hall a lot.. they complete each other.
If I use Valhalla shimmer and add the Lexicon afterwards in the chain it gives more 3D sound.

yes..so it is another advice..to mix reverbs..maybe you can use shorter tails but two reverbs.. experiment..

I have not tried the Lexicon Effect bundle myself, but I am sure if I had it I could get a more complete sound with just one reverb instead of mix.

Btw the Toraverb reminds me slightly of the Eventide reverb yet less metallic but it has plate characteristics..

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »
I have the demo of the Lexicon PCM Effects running and Ive listened to the lex reverb and fx together.  They are good but if I did opt to buy the PCM native verbs I would use my Sound Toys fx for designing a sound

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
I have the demo of the Lexicon PCM Effects running and Ive listened to the lex reverb and fx together.  They are good but if I did opt to buy the PCM native verbs I would use my Sound Toys fx for designing a sound

Alright, I have not tried it so I have no opinion about it..however.. I would most likely prefer the Lexicon effect cause it will come most close to the presets in the hardware units... but yeah.. I guess Lexicon is not most known for their other effects..  but the "resonant chords" and pitch shifting stuff I think is better on the Lexicon.. I have not tried it yet, all I know is I do not like sound toys.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »
Yes Immersion I understand your perspective...why not put an entire PCM96 hardware processor ITB. .

Its sort of funny because I was a bit perturbed by the buy in price for the UAD 224....Core 2 Satellite + plugin.  I just am really starting to love it.  I recall buying a Powercore platform just to install the TC VSS 3 Reverb.

I suppose the point is that Im realizing I can go ITB without giving up anything and perhaps gaining a certain something  ???  I dont know...makes sense to me ;D

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
Just got done adding Pete Kelly's Guitar recording passed through each plugin......the differences are subtle.  The mix is set at 60% wet.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
Found this just now...really reflects what Paul was talking about.  Give it it chance its not your usual sales demo.... it may surprise you, it did me!

Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb Plug-In Demo

I forgot about that demo, but it pretty well sums up why the 224 is my most used plug-in reverb. I have used it on Pop, CCM, Jazz, Ambient and Folk projects and it has never let me down. Dont get me wrong, I love the PCM Bundle as well, but that is modern Lexicon where as the 224 is the sound of classic records and even classic space music that is ingrained in our memory.

I also love Will's UA demo as he is one of the few people I know in the industry who like and get the whole ambient, art rock thing and his demo shows. Its not your usual this is a drum room or acoustic guitar in a space thing.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 06:53:56 AM »
Julio,

Thanks very much for adding the guitar stuff to your demos, very interesting to hear these verbs (some of which I couldn't demo myself as I don't use an iLok thingy).
The thing that struck me is that they all sound good - dense and tonally balanced. I suppose it becomes a bit like fine wine appreciation - the differences are more perceptible with a more refined palette (so to speak) Saying that, I had a preference for the Sonnox Oxford, the lexicon PCM examples (very 'clean') and the softude TSAR 1's spatial effect.

I have to say though, that my favourites (for clean guitar) were still my two 'mysteryverbs', which are:
'mysteryverb1' A Nebula library (EMT140VNXT) of a sampled plate reverb
http://vnxtsound.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/so-finally-vnxtemt140-ready-emt-140s.html

'mysteryverb1_2' Valhalla Uber-mod 'lateweb' preset (that I modified)

Ubermod is particularly interesting, as it's not sold as a reverb plugin as such, but you can really create things from scratch, with easy access to lots of parameters and it has extensive modulation parameters too. That Nebula library (to me) is just a great capture of a plate.

Lastly, one of my favourite verbs is actually the 'reverb' effect in Native Instrument's 'Razor' synth. I wish that was available as a standalone effect, as it's unique.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »
The difference will become a lot bigger with long reverb times like 15-20 seconds.

Anyway I like the Eventide "preset" most on the guitar.  Aether still sounds most artificial and plastic to my ears.
Anyway..we are still just trying different presets.. cause the presets does not even have the same settings so it is hard
to come to any conclusion really.
Many of them use the filter, would be nicer to hear it with the HP/LP filter open the Lexicon reverb sounds not good and open with the filters enabled. anyway it is hard to do a test like this.. And the reverbs sound a lot more better when you do not use 100% wet signal I usually use 28% on my Lexion reverbs.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »
I tend not to use 20 second reverbs much myself - unless I'm composing a 'ping and other impulsive noises symphony'.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 06:21:25 AM »
Julio,

Thanks very much for adding the guitar stuff to your demos, very interesting to hear these verbs (some of which I couldn't demo myself as I don't use an iLok thingy).
The thing that struck me is that they all sound good - dense and tonally balanced. I suppose it becomes a bit like fine wine appreciation - the differences are more perceptible with a more refined palette (so to speak) Saying that, I had a preference for the Sonnox Oxford, the lexicon PCM examples (very 'clean') and the softude TSAR 1's spatial effect.

I have to say though, that my favourites (for clean guitar) were still my two 'mysteryverbs', which are:
'mysteryverb1' A Nebula library (EMT140VNXT) of a sampled plate reverb
http://vnxtsound.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/so-finally-vnxtemt140-ready-emt-140s.html

'mysteryverb1_2' Valhalla Uber-mod 'lateweb' preset (that I modified)

Ubermod is particularly interesting, as it's not sold as a reverb plugin as such, but you can really create things from scratch, with easy access to lots of parameters and it has extensive modulation parameters too. That Nebula library (to me) is just a great capture of a plate.

Lastly, one of my favourite verbs is actually the 'reverb' effect in Native Instrument's 'Razor' synth. I wish that was available as a standalone effect, as it's unique.

I feel your guitar piece Pete is well played with just the right articulation to show off these verbs, better than the synth demo which is interesting but has more going on which of course shows off the verbs in another way.

I agree they all sound good and as you say it is like fine wine appreciation.....

Interesting the Valhalla uber mod is a delay not a reverb....would not know it from the demo.

Thanks again for your contribution to this thread!

The reverb demos are expiring one by one and I honestly can not say which one I would buy at this point as my preference changes.....at least this thread is here to come back to for reference.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:51:19 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
http://www.ariescode.com/index.php

another reverb you can try just for fun.. as an lexicon user i think this reverb is on the same level honestly.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
Eventide H8000fw Tweaking a Reverb

Impressive... some of the sounds manage to sound a lot like EMT plate reverb.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:25:41 PM by Immersion »