Author Topic: Elektron Analog Keys (new Analog synthesizer from sweeden!)  (Read 1741 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Elektron Analog Keys (new Analog synthesizer from sweeden!)
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:29 AM »
http://www.elektron.se/products/analog-keys

Has any one tried it ?  I guess what makes it most interesting is the price point, it is cheaper then the Access Virus
but this is true analogue.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
Re: Elektron Analog Keys (new Analog synthesizer from sweeden!)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
How this compares to the new sub phatty? it's the same price range.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
I think the moog synths are in a class of it's own , but it is not always you want the moog sound..and it is not polyphonic  I am more interested in how it compare with Oberheim Xpander for instance.

since they use the internal reverb and effects in the demos it is hard to come to any conclusion to be honest...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:32:54 AM by Immersion »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Yeah the moog is paraphonic, but I don't know if that's a problem for drone music making, when pressing a single key is enough. Seems they will release polyphonic SP next years.

The demos of the analog keys aren't good enough to judge the synth capabilities. Would be cool to watch a demo of some pads and some ambient making, instead of some hipster shit.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »
"... some hipster shit."
I like that  :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
Classical Hipsters.....a Monopoly rebirth!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:58 AM »
http://youtu.be/wDViPmOm8aM?t=22m11s

there is a few pads here, but as I see it is hard to come to any conclusion when they use internal effects.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »
there is more videos on youtube of their module relaased earlier..I think there is a better chance to find a proper pad/ambient sounds if you search for it on youtube

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to compare those sounds with an xpander. Xpander + Matrix 12 are the f... holy grail of synths for ambient.

My two cents.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to compare those sounds with an xpander. Xpander + Matrix 12 are the f... holy grail of synths for ambient.

My two cents.

with the right effects it gets easier for sure..as I said it is hard to come to any conclusion when they use the internal effects since they leave a very strong finger print...would love to hear it with lexicon reverbs.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
This rocks:

http://youtu.be/grePcW-z3VU

Nice video... even though the reverbs represent 75% of the sound here...
I have owned the Xpander too.it is a good synth... but you can come close with other synths too trust me. Especially for ambient stuff which rely a lot on reverb .and especially analogue synths..they have more magic....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:57:18 PM by Immersion »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
So a sub 37 with reverb will sound cool.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »
Or any synth will sound cool with reverb :)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:11 AM »
So a sub 37 with reverb will sound cool.

Moog is about the only synth that sound good without effects.

I have used Xpander myself, without effects it sounds nothing special it is with effects it starts to shine in my opinion.
While with software synths it is mostly the "polish the turd principle" while the xpander you had a great foundation to work with from the start..
So yeah an analogue synt really helps... especially for this type of drone music since the analgo sounds more organic and alive naturally.

Since you are so into the Oberheims I assume you are into Steve Roach like me ?
A big part of his sounds is because of the Lexicon reverbs.

I am not saying that the Elektron is better then Xpander but I know enough that demos like this do not say anything for me personally, it is when you turn of all effects introduce professional pro audio effects and audio tools that you can start to explore the sonic possibilities. Since it is analogue I am sure it will beat most of what exist in the software land.  I basically sold my Xpander because of the Lush 101 synth plugin, did give me a quite satisfied sound for the moment, but I also sold it cause it felt like a ticking bomb that could break down any moment and a lot of money would go into waste... so I am glad to see new true analogue synths like this being released in 2014 where all is going digital.. I hope we will see more of that.. Cause I really want to invest in an analogue synth..

I have been thinking about the sub 37 also... but I want to some other synth also that is not a moog. I have also been thinking about Access virus since that seem to be what all people talk about.. but it is not an analogue synth..if the elektron synth goes down little bit I will consider it.. the alternative is to buy an used synth...

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »
Yeah I like Steve Roach a lot.

I have a classic Lexicon PCM-70 in mint condition, it was a great deal. I want to use this reverb unit with an analog synth, I'm still looking for one too, because all my stuff is digital, but unlike you I don't have a problem with digital, so I'm just looking for an analog to complement my setup.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »

I have a classic Lexicon PCM-70 in mint condition, it was a great deal. I want to use this reverb unit with an analog synth, I'm still looking for one too, because all my stuff is digital, but unlike you I don't have a problem with digital, so I'm just looking for an analog to complement my setup.

I like both digital and analogue, I think always that hybrid is the best, to get both of best worlds..
 Would love to try the Analogue keys with my effects and setup..I know it will sound totally different from the sound demos..

And regarding Xpander and Matrix 12.. the Matrix 12 is supposed to sound much fatter then the xpander..but the matrix 12 is impossible to find almost.. and if you find it it is always a risky investment since must of these units are living on overtime..  Loren Nerell know this better but I know the PSU is breaking down on many of the units..stay away from the Japanese models they have a higher fail rate.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
Here's one for you:

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/rlm3/oberheim-matrix-12/

The price of a car.

I like both digital and analogue, I think always that hybrid is the best, to get both of best worlds..
 Would love to try the Analogue keys with my effects and setup..I know it will sound totally different from the sound demos..

And regarding Xpander and Matrix 12.. the Matrix 12 is supposed to sound much fatter then the xpander..but the matrix 12 is impossible to find almost.. and if you find it it is always a risky investment since must of these units are living on overtime..  Loren Nerell know this better but I know the PSU is breaking down on many of the units..stay away from the Japanese models they have a higher fail rate.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:28 AM »
Here's one for you:

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/rlm3/oberheim-matrix-12/

The price of a car.

Thanks but I think I will pass :)

For that amount of money you can buy so much fun.

I think just this one is about of half of that price.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »
Yeah, but it's not really a matrix 12 right? ;)

I know a very good technician here, he fixed the 4 voice version, I'm not scared when it comes to vintage, especially with his backup.

What in life is not a time bomb, eh?

I wouldn't buy that matrix 12 too, I haven't the right skills yet, but IMO cooling the lust with other synths/substitutes is not the way to go, if you want the matrix or the xpander then grab the matrix or the xpander :) the more you spend on other stuff the more further away you will be from the original goal (use this method for other stuff in life) ahaha

My two cents.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:15:38 PM by Crossing_The_Threshold »