OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

True Detective

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave Michuda:
I've been loving True Detective.  I really like the storytelling format used for most of the show.  I was a little worried at first that it would be a parade of gruesome murders.  But it's been a great ride.

I agree with you Mike, there are a lot of choices for good tv.  I'm looking forward to the new season of Veep & the new series Silicon Valley, both starting in April on HBO.

chris23:
My wife and I watched the first episode last night. I'm curious and want to see more. Thanks for the tip!

LNerell:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on March 07, 2014, 02:40:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: LNerell on March 06, 2014, 10:37:43 PM ---...Yeah it's good, but the best show on TV right now? Maybe, not a lot of competition right now.

--- End quote ---

Actually, I'd argue we're in a historically noteworthy era of high-quality television. The cable networks, particularly HBO and Showtime but also AMC and others, have enabled and even encouraged intelligent, serious (or funny) and above all challenging storytelling.
--- End quote ---

Well I would say its a mixed bag right now. Yes their are a lot of great series on some of the cable networks, but their is also a lot of reality tv, more than ever I would say. Most of which is not very good or just copycats of other reality tv shows that have done well. How many shows about flipping houses, flipping cars, pawn stores, or storage units does one need?

--- Quote from: mgriffin on March 07, 2014, 02:40:02 PM ---On HBO alone, there's True Detective, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones (not to mention Californication, Girls and others).
--- End quote ---

Those are all great shows, but they not all on at the same time, which is what I was referring too when I said not a lot of competition. If they were all  on right now I would agree but stuff like Boardwalk Empire was done for the season before True Detective started, and Game of Thrones won't start up again for this season for another month. So most of those shows mentioned are not really competing with True Detective.

All that aside, what did everyone think of the ending? I won't say anything directly as to give it away to those who are still catching up, but I thought the ending was not quite as good as the rest of the series. I think if they had made the ending two hours and fleshed it out a bit more it could have been better.

Dave Michuda:
Speaking of TV's new golden age...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/business/media/fenced-in-by-televisions-excess-of-excellence.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=BU_BKU_20140310&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000

petekelly:
Going off-topic a tad, but I think TV (in the UK) is worse than it ever has been (generally speaking).

So much 'reality TV' tripe and lazy programming / stereotyping nonsense all round. Well at least we've got 'Blandings':
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00yzmt1

(and Rab C.Nesbitt)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version